The Student Room Group

2012 - veterinary re-applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi :smile:
This will be my second time although I had no interviews this time round.
Deffo applying to RVC and Notts.
Then debating the rest, really depends what I get in the Summer as to where else I apply.
Gap year will be working, work experience and a bit of relaxing. Hopefully no retakes! :frown:
Reply 21
Original post by dol:)
I'm sure it would be :smile: my aunt works up in cambridge, so I'm thinking about going and doing some lab work with her... to get perspective on other sides of vet med.

Also I'm struggling to get large animal vet w/e, does anyone know anywhere that does it? as i'm on a gap year i don't really mind if it is far away as I have time to travel now :smile:

Theres a mixed vet practice in Easingwold called Howells that I went to in year 11, they do a lot of pig scanning and cow pd's and always seem to have people in seeing practice, I think the one in Pickering (Eastgate vets), and the one in Thirsk (Skeldale vets) also do mixed practice but I've never been to either. I dont know of any completely large animal vets though. :smile:
Reply 22
I am also on my third gap year :frown:
Im thinking of only applying to Bristol and Liv though as no matter how much I want to be a vet I dont think realistically I could go all the way to Scotland, but im still undecided :s-smilie:

Have no idea what to do in my gap year, the animal management course which I wanted to do which had all interesting bits like anatomy and nutrition ect has been scrapped :frown: soo I might beg my vets to train me as a receptionist or something :biggrin:
Reply 23
Hey,
This is gunna be my 3rd application.
0 interviews first time around and only liverpool this year.
Not sure where im going to apply yet but most probably liv, bristol, edinburgh and one other not sure where yet though.
Gunna get even more experience, carry on working and hopefully travel! And make my app 100% perfect if i can because this truly will be my last shot! :smile: Lets all show the unis exactly what they were missing out on this year :smile:
Reply 24
Hii,
If i reapply it will be my 3rd application, i'm not sure what i'm going to to yet! Only in the 2nd application had i done all the work experience but still haven't done much intense small animal stuff which they seen to like. I would apply to bristol, liverpool, edinburgh maybe glasgow, i don't think i would want to do the bmat again so rules out rvc, and i've already had an interview which i really messed up at nottingham so can't apply there.
Good Luck everyone lets show them how much we want this :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Irishguy2K10
Hii Ruby, sorry to hear about Liverpool.
U say ur reapplying to notts.... I did and they rejected me without an interview.. they arent very good with reapps :smile:

When I was at the Nottingham open day nearly every student I spoke to was a re-app...they all also had an immense amount of realy varied experience. I think if you re-apply and your application has significantly bettered then you are more likely to get an interview. I know that that's the case for all vet schools but seems even more so for Notts. The people I spoke to had random things like 60 weeks of work experience including a month at a parrot sanctuary/zoo/alpaca hydrotherapy/ penguin psychic/armadillo a&e etc ... and I'm only kind of joking!
Reply 26
I'm joining all you guys! We all know the best vets had to reapply! :P
Reply 27
Original post by may bug :)
I'm joining all you guys! We all know the best vets had to reapply! :P

+ive rep :smile: SO TRUE! We've got a point to prove now!!
Original post by stef_vet?

When I was at the Nottingham open day nearly every student I spoke to was a re-app...they all also had an immense amount of realy varied experience. I think if you re-apply and your application has significantly bettered then you are more likely to get an interview. I know that that's the case for all vet schools but seems even more so for Notts. The people I spoke to had random things like 60 weeks of work experience including a month at a parrot sanctuary/zoo/alpaca hydrotherapy/ penguin psychic/armadillo a&e etc ... and I'm only kind of joking!

Seriously ??
My whole application had a major improvement compared to the first app.... had my 3A'S at A level..... sooooo much more work experience.... even spent 4 weeks in America at a university and 2 clinics.... so I dont know what their deal with me was :frown:
Reply 29
Original post by elli4
Hii,
If i reapply it will be my 3rd application, i'm not sure what i'm going to to yet! Only in the 2nd application had i done all the work experience but still haven't done much intense small animal stuff which they seen to like. I would apply to bristol, liverpool, edinburgh maybe glasgow, i don't think i would want to do the bmat again so rules out rvc, and i've already had an interview which i really messed up at nottingham so can't apply there.
Good Luck everyone lets show them how much we want this :smile:

yours is the same situation as mine! i cant apply to notts again :frown: im definitely applying to bristol liverpool and probably edinburgh but im scared about glasgow- they seem to have rejected a lot of people for 2011 entry
Reply 30
Original post by dol:)
I'll start off :smile:

Sarah - 2nd time app

Applying to Liverpool, Bristol, and haven't decided the last 2 yet!

Not quite sure what I'm doing on my gap year... hoping to go to aus from april onwards but depends on funding!!

i know what you mean.. ive been looking at gap year websites and there are so many ones that would be amazing! but theyre too expensive haha
Reply 31
Original post by Irishguy2K10
Seriously ??
My whole application had a major improvement compared to the first app.... had my 3A'S at A level..... sooooo much more work experience.... even spent 4 weeks in America at a university and 2 clinics.... so I dont know what their deal with me was :frown:

Oh no :frown: tbf my application had improved so much as well and I got rejected without interview ... I still think they pull out of a hat!
Reply 32
Do any of you know how much we are expected to pay? All I know is that the RCVS are fighting to keep the costs down due to the length and inability to get part time work due to EMS.
Reply 33
Original post by moon_shine
yours is the same situation as mine! i cant apply to notts again :frown: im definitely applying to bristol liverpool and probably edinburgh but im scared about glasgow- they seem to have rejected a lot of people for 2011 entry

Yeah it's so scary =/
So nervous to go through the applications process again! it's so so stressful! But april onwards travellingggg and knowing whats going on will make it so much better :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by may bug :)
Do any of you know how much we are expected to pay? All I know is that the RCVS are fighting to keep the costs down due to the length and inability to get part time work due to EMS.

No none knows for certain yet as it's still all a bit up in the air. To charge up to £9k the unis are supposed to apply and go through quite a strict set of procedures to prove they're making the changes etc to warrant it...but so far loads have applied :s-smilie: it's all looking a bit suspect! There's a possibility different vet schools will charge different fees but that should all be made clear by the start of UCAS applications. I can't remember where I heard this but I think generally tuition fees will be around £6k per year from 2012, unless the uni has been given permission to charge more :frown: Hopefully the RCVS and the NHS (who fund medicine places and so don't want the fees to go up for medicine as that'll cut down places NHS can fund/cost the NHS lots more) will fight for vet med/med to remain do-able
Reply 35
Hopefully the RCVS and the NHS will fight for vet med/med to remain do-able

Let's hope the government don't favour the medics over us too much :tongue:
I'm joining you lot, hello! I didn't post much in the 2011 thread but I recognise most of you from my intensive thread stalking. This will be my second application; I'll be applying to Liverpool, Notts, Bristol and RVC (same as last year). I got interviewed by RVC this year but got rejected, which was pretty gutting considering that they give offers to most of their interviewees!! Really kicking myself for that, I think I definitely shot myself in the foot with my seriously misjudged revision (and losing my head and blatantly guessing at questions I didn't know the answers to), but it's done now. I just hope I haven't blown my chances for next year.

Hopefully this year will be more successful for all of us. Has anyone else asked for/got feedback yet? I'm going to email RVC and Bristol for feedback as soon as I can bring myself to. :tongue: (I'm a bit scared of what they might say tbh haha).
Reply 37
Original post by Judas the Prude
I'm joining you lot, hello! I didn't post much in the 2011 thread but I recognise most of you from my intensive thread stalking. This will be my second application; I'll be applying to Liverpool, Notts, Bristol and RVC (same as last year). I got interviewed by RVC this year but got rejected, which was pretty gutting considering that they give offers to most of their interviewees!! Really kicking myself for that, I think I definitely shot myself in the foot with my seriously misjudged revision (and losing my head and blatantly guessing at questions I didn't know the answers to), but it's done now. I just hope I haven't blown my chances for next year.

Hopefully this year will be more successful for all of us. Has anyone else asked for/got feedback yet? I'm going to email RVC and Bristol for feedback as soon as I can bring myself to. :tongue: (I'm a bit scared of what they might say tbh haha).

I e-mailed bristol and liverpool for feedback and the replied saying they would get back to me as soon as the application process is over so that's promising :smile: Bristol have a great rep for feedback so deffo ask them and I'm sure RVC will give you some as well :smile:
Reply 38
Re NHS funding medical places , all they do is fund the 5th year tuition fees for medicine... pretty pathetic really over 5 years!
Reply 39
Think you should look at the numbers taken by each uni. RVC annual intake is probably double the others but interview the same number! So chances of offer after interview are higher (still much of a lottery in my view!) But gives you more of a chance. i think the scottish unis should release figures for their intake of scottish students compared with the rest in other words if its harder to get in... try not to apply there. You should check foreign english speaking vet schools, it may be cheaper if the fees go up. Good Luck everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending