The Student Room Group

2012 - veterinary re-applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by jacko111
Re NHS funding medical places , all they do is fund the 5th year tuition fees for medicine... pretty pathetic really over 5 years!

i think that's pretty fair considering you can get a loan to cover your tuition fees... the nhs also funds all but the first year for graduate applicants, who can't get a tuition fee loan.
Reply 41
Just found an amazing ranch experience in america on a gapyear website... looks incredible and just my sort of thing!! Going to have to start raising money now!
Reply 42
Original post by schizopear
i think that's pretty fair considering you can get a loan to cover your tuition fees... the nhs also funds all but the first year for graduate applicants, who can't get a tuition fee loan.

Would be fairer to make medical graduates work for the NHS for minimum of say 5 years after graduation and NHS pay their fees, nurses get their fees paid. Just my opinion!:smile:
Original post by dol:)
Just found an amazing ranch experience in america on a gapyear website... looks incredible and just my sort of thing!! Going to have to start raising money now!

wow! that sounds awesome! i'd love to go to America but will find it hard to cram everything in to this gap year! will save it for after i qualify :biggrin:

for people looking for gap years:

http://www.statravel.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/uk_division_web_live/hs.xsl/wildlife-activities.htm

STA have discount flights for under 26s and have lots of conservation projects you can go on :smile: as well as a gap year planner, hostels, insurance etc.

http://www.conservationafrica.net/projects

this is the company i went to South Africa with. scroll to the bottom to see the projects they do! :smile:

also, for anyone wanting to go somewhere in the UK:

http://www.freewebs.com/comebyanaway/

this is a farm with 2 holiday cottages on it. the cottages are next door to their lambing shed. anyone wanting to help is more than welcome and the farmer will even wake you up in the early hours of the morning to help (he woke me up at 1am to help deliver a breached lamb)! its like a 24/7 lambing experience! it's great because you can take your family and the cottages are designed to have lots of dogs in them (up to 5 dogs is totally free!) there's even a dog shower room with hot running water. :tongue: and they have dog agility facilities. beautiful walks and pubs nearby to keep your family happy! :wink: i went last year for a week and i'm going for another week this year in April! :biggrin: can't wait!

we need to make the most of this gap year!! :biggrin:
Reply 44
Original post by dol:)
Yeah it's so scary =/
So nervous to go through the applications process again! it's so so stressful! But april onwards travellingggg and knowing whats going on will make it so much better :smile:

yeah i know!! having to redo my ps after all my work exp lol :smile: are you applying for finance? cos i know its REALLY unlikely that I decide to do another degree through clearing but if i did can you still get a loan if you apply on results day??
and to your post about the ranch- i think i saw that one too, looks amazing :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by moon_shine
yours is the same situation as mine! i cant apply to notts again :frown: im definitely applying to bristol liverpool and probably edinburgh but im scared about glasgow- they seem to have rejected a lot of people for 2011 entry

Well i had a glasgow interview 1st time round but was my first ever interview so didn't really have a clue! and it was a little bit hard to understand one of the interviewers from what i remember :L but i just think if i did have another interview there i might stand a bit of chance as long as i don't mess it up, as they don't interview quite so many and i'm not so good in interview, if that kinda makes sense. i wouldn't want to do the bmat again as it would only be for rvc and they interview loads..
People taking about stats for RVC..... here's the figures for the 5 yr BVetMed applications for 2010 entry, so the previous entry cycle (figures not around yet for this years cycle).

Applications 1138
Interviews 431
Offers 274
Enrolments 136

(the size of the actual year group increases beyond this though, as you have gateway students joining the 1st years - about 30 or so, then in the third year G&T and combined degree students join as well, which adds another 50ish).
Reply 47
I wonder if there are less applications for RVC combined degree and vetmed 6 year course (D101). Might be interesting to see those figures, it could be easier to get in AND then you could always say you cant do extra year for financial reasons once you joined.... just an idea!
RVC stats for combined degree -

Applications 28
Interviews 12
Offers 11
Enrolments 5

The figures for it look good - but....you need to be able to convince the admissions team that you are interested in the more research related side of vet med, since that is what quite a lot of the course is based on (you need to have at least one week work exp in a scientific environment - vet lab, industry, research institute etc).

Also, you wouldn't be able to change to the five year when you are in because of the course set up. Your first two years are with the Biovet's - and you basically do their course for two years. Your third year you then finish the biovet part of the degree (so some more modules of that), plus your dissertation, plus do G&T year with other grads. Because you have done some of the work already as a biovet there are some bits you don't need to go to out of the G&T course. But it means there is no way of stopping and doing the 5 yr course. The third year is very intense - G&T on its on its stressful, I would not want to be doing this whilst finishing the third year and dissertation for a BSc.

If you are interested in the research side of things, it can be a good route - the people who have joined my year do seem to have enjoyed it....but I would definitely not recommend it as a easier route in, which it may appear to be looking at the numbers applying. Even if getting a place is any easier (and tbh, I don't think it is really) it will be very hard work!
Whilst I am at it....might as well post the gateway figures,

Applications 199
Interviews 113
Offers 50
Enrolments 31

But of course, the big thing here is making sure you are def meet all three of the criteria needed.
Reply 50
Great info there! Are you a first year at RVC?:smile:
Reply 51
Hi everyone
Its my 2nd application, got 2 interviews this year.
Probably applying to Ed, Notts, Liv and.... not sure :tongue:
Great info there! Are you a first year at RVC?:smile:

I'm on the accelerated graduate entry course ("G&T"), so first year at RVC, will join with the third years next year as this is a 2in1 year.

I am a student ambassador for the RVC, hence why I've got those stats....let me know if anyone has any RVC related q's, I'm happy to try and help!
Reply 53
Original post by kookabura
I'm on the accelerated graduate entry course ("G&T"), so first year at RVC, will join with the third years next year as this is a 2in1 year.

I am a student ambassador for the RVC, hence why I've got those stats....let me know if anyone has any RVC related q's, I'm happy to try and help!

Fantastic which are the best halls for 1st year vetmed then?? college grove or maryB?? For the best sociallife!:smile:
Will I get a list of things to bring with me, books kit ect , where can I get a RVC sweatshirt???
Fantastic which are the best halls for 1st year vetmed then?? college grove or maryB?? For the best sociallife!:smile:
Will I get a list of things to bring with me, books kit ect , where can I get a RVC sweatshirt???

Halls:
There are some photos on the website of the bedrooms/kitchens in the two places - not that much to pick between them really, fairly similar. CG you get kitchen stuff provided (pans etc...though I'm not sure how many etc, you may still end up buying some, I'm not sure), MB there is nothing provided (though there is a toaster and kettle). Internet is included in both places, I *think* there may be a connection charge for CG, not sure. A plus point of CG is that you are part of the RVC, so can access some more stuff. There are some things on the intranet that are "onsite access only", which CG is part of, whereas MB isn't (but equally, its not that much more, I've never found it a problem not having it).

CG is obv much close to college, which can be good for a roll out of bed in to a lecture sort of morning. But equally, it means you never really get away from uni! You feel a bit like you're always there. Social life wise - both places are full of vet students, so both are easier to meet people! Events like pub crawls etc often start from Mary B and finish at the Haxby (student bar in the camden campus), so both halls are included. At CG you are nearer the Haxby.

Tbh, I would say the main difference is if you want to live v close to college or want to live a bit further away, be a bit more removed from it some of the time. As for social life, personally, I don't think there is that much difference between them, if you want to get involved with stuff it is easy from either hall.

(also, there are the intercollegiate halls if you want to meet non-vets and be in catered halls).

Equipment/books etc:
You’ll get an information pack quite a bit later in the year (august I think) with information on what you need to buy. Lab coats/wellies/boiler suits/stethoscope etc, you can order them through the SU and they are fairly cheap (I think prob cheaper than buying elsewhere). Don’t worrying about buying any books before you get here. There are lots and lots of books recommended for different modules, you won’t need to buy them all!! Prob just a couple or so, anatomy and physiology tends to be what people buy, then use the library for the rest. But, it is much better getting some from the library before hand and seeing which you like best they are all a bit different and suit different learning styles. Also, college often do bulk orders, which can work out a bit cheaper. And, older years sell on textbooks over the internet. When some textbooks new can be £100+ (think the worst is about £180!), so buying cheaper can be a lot better!!!

RVC hoodies, you can buy when you are here, or if you really want one in advance, you can order online from the Animal Care Trust (ACT) http://act.rvc.ac.uk/acatalog/RVC_hoodies.html Although I think they are changing their range a bit atm, so you may want to wait and see if they have any new ones come out.
Reply 55
Original post by Bonfield
me too! I'm hoping to get some work at a local dairy farm or if not at a local pig farm. I also want to get some work experience with animal charities :smile:

Askham Bryan college near york also does a short 2 day course on administering veterinary medicines, does anyone think that it would be a worthwhile thing to do? After all it is free!!

same, i'm just planning going to south africa for a month in july to work in a bit cat sanctuary :smile: EVS also do a three day course, has anyone ever heard of it/been on it?
Reply 56
also just booked the askham bryan college one, looks really good thanks! :smile: might see you there?
Reply 57
Halls:
There are some photos on the website of the bedrooms/kitchens in the two places - not that much to pick between them really, fairly similar. CG you get kitchen stuff provided (pans etc...though I'm not sure how many etc, you may still end up buying some, I'm not sure), MB there is nothing provided (though there is a toaster and kettle). Internet is included in both places, I *think* there may be a connection charge for CG, not sure. A plus point of CG is that you are part of the RVC, so can access some more stuff. There are some things on the intranet that are "onsite access only", which CG is part of, whereas MB isn't (but equally, its not that much more, I've never found it a problem not having it).

CG is obv much close to college, which can be good for a roll out of bed in to a lecture sort of morning. But equally, it means you never really get away from uni! You feel a bit like you're always there. Social life wise - both places are full of vet students, so both are easier to meet people! Events like pub crawls etc often start from Mary B and finish at the Haxby (student bar in the camden campus), so both halls are included. At CG you are nearer the Haxby.

Tbh, I would say the main difference is if you want to live v close to college or want to live a bit further away, be a bit more removed from it some of the time. As for social life, personally, I don't think there is that much difference between them, if you want to get involved with stuff it is easy from either hall.

(also, there are the intercollegiate halls if you want to meet non-vets and be in catered halls).

Equipment/books etc:
You’ll get an information pack quite a bit later in the year (august I think) with information on what you need to buy. Lab coats/wellies/boiler suits/stethoscope etc, you can order them through the SU and they are fairly cheap (I think prob cheaper than buying elsewhere). Don’t worrying about buying any books before you get here. There are lots and lots of books recommended for different modules, you won’t need to buy them all!! Prob just a couple or so, anatomy and physiology tends to be what people buy, then use the library for the rest. But, it is much better getting some from the library before hand and seeing which you like best they are all a bit different and suit different learning styles. Also, college often do bulk orders, which can work out a bit cheaper. And, older years sell on textbooks over the internet. When some textbooks new can be £100+ (think the worst is about £180!), so buying cheaper can be a lot better!!!

RVC hoodies, you can buy when you are here, or if you really want one in advance, you can order online from the Animal Care Trust (ACT) http://act.rvc.ac.uk/acatalog/RVC_hoodies.html Although I think they are changing their range a bit atm, so you may want to wait and see if they have any new ones come out.

Thanks for the info... really helpful!! Can't wait!:smile:
Reply 58

i don't suppose you know how many graduates there are on the five year course?
Reply 59
Original post by schizopear
i don't suppose you know how many graduates there are on the five year course?

In RVC accommodation in campden, do you have to pack up all your things each holiday or can you stay and/or leave your stuff in your room? Is there lots on in freshers week and is it expensive to buy tickets for events during freshers? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest