The Student Room Group

Biomed applicants 2012

Thought i'd start a thread on those wanting to apply to biomedical sciences for 2012!

maybe we could say which universities we're interested in, what we're doing for AS & our predicted grades.
also, any work experience/volunteering we're doing right now?

dont know about you guys, but i'm dreading the whole UCAS process & maybe this would be a good way to see who else is in the same position you are! :biggrin:

as for me, i like the look of
kings
sheffield
manchester
durham
warwick
st georges
aston

doing as levels in bio, chem, maths, geography & critical thinking- predicted aaaab

done work experience at a pharmacy/i'm a scout leader, volunteer at sporting events, work in charity shop, i'm in a young enterprise group & i'm going to borneo next year to help some tribes ;D

what about everyone else? :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm pretty much set on biomed as the boring and unfruitful life of a researcher somehow has managed to interest me :biggrin:
I'm studying Bio, Chem, Phys, Computing and have taken Maths at AS in yr 11, hopefully will do the A2 this/next year. I'm looking at Oxford, Imperial primarily and then a few others,

Regarding your extra stuff, that's an incredibly impressive list and looks like activities a med applier would undertake! May I ask how you managed to sort the Borneo volunteering out, as I'm quite interested in doing abroad volunteering to experience different cultures and lives. Also, any particular reason you wish to study biomed and for your choices of uni?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by nikkayyyxo
Thought i'd start a thread on those wanting to apply to biomedical sciences for 2012!

maybe we could say which universities we're interested in, what we're doing for AS & our predicted grades.
also, any work experience/volunteering we're doing right now?

dont know about you guys, but i'm dreading the whole UCAS process & maybe this would be a good way to see who else is in the same position you are! :biggrin:

as for me, i like the look of
kings
sheffield
manchester
durham
warwick
st georges
aston

doing as levels in bio, chem, maths, geography & critical thinking- predicted aaaab

done work experience at a pharmacy/i'm a scout leader, volunteer at sporting events, work in charity shop, i'm in a young enterprise group & i'm going to borneo next year to help some tribes ;D

what about everyone else? :smile:

Get some laboratory experience and you are sailing :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by AndroidLight

I'm pretty much set on biomed as the boring and unfruitful life of a researcher somehow has managed to interest me :biggrin:
I'm studying Bio, Chem, Phys, Computing and have taken Maths at AS in yr 11, hopefully will do the A2 this/next year. I'm looking at Oxford, Imperial primarily and then a few others,

Regarding your extra stuff, that's an incredibly impressive list and looks like activities a med applier would undertake! May I ask how you managed to sort the Borneo volunteering out, as I'm quite interested in doing abroad volunteering to experience different cultures and lives. Also, any particular reason you wish to study biomed and for your choices of uni?

i kept trying to find some borneo volunteering myself as i've wanted to do it since i was in year 7, but couldnt find anything suitable due to age restrictions and the insurance crap. however, my school this year offered us the chance to go to borneo next year so i jumped at the chance! we're going with far frontiers, so if you search them they may be able to help you?

not too sure why i want to study biomed or where it'll take me, but i like the sound of the course & it allows me to go into quite a lot of fields at the end of it :smile: really like the look of sheffield & kings as they're pretty good for the good & their student atmosphere seems really good :smile: what makes you choose oxford & imperial?
Reply 4
Original post by Jack7Richards

Get some laboratory experience and you are sailing :smile:

i thought this aswell, thing is, i have no idea where/how to apply! hospitals dont really seem to offer it & some lab companies want you to be 18 :s-smilie:
Original post by nikkayyyxo
i thought this aswell, thing is, i have no idea where/how to apply! hospitals dont really seem to offer it & some lab companies want you to be 18 :s-smilie:

Hmmmm.
If you are under 18 and still at school/college, your school/college should be able to arrange it for you.

I've done quite a bit of experience in NHS labs and all I did was call the hospital, ask for a laboratory manager, explain my situation, and it was taken from there.
Reply 6

Hmmmm.
If you are under 18 and still at school/college, your school/college should be able to arrange it for you.

I've done quite a bit of experience in NHS labs and all I did was call the hospital, ask for a laboratory manager, explain my situation, and it was taken from there.

ahhhh okay then, i'll start calling up! thanks! :smile:
ME! Info's in the sig. :biggrin:
Ah I have my heart set on Biomed, but I didn't pick chemistry last year, and my sixth form won't let me pick it up as an additional AS this year :frown: :frown: :frown:

I am doing Bio, Maths, Geo and Eng Lang and I got BBAA last year. I'm also doing Critical Thinking AS and an EPQ. Bit hectic.

I like the look of UWE's Applied Biomed course, and also Clinical Science at PMS Exeter. I also did some experience at the Clinical Research labs at PMS Plymouth.
Reply 9

There are a few charities and organisations that do volunteering abroad, i went to Romania for a week with a charity and volunteered with various projects including helping homeless people to building shelves in the charity warehouse! its worth having a look for charities like that! :smile:
For those who want to be a career biomedical scientist within the NHS, its handy to check which courses are IBMS accredited!
Reply 11
Original post by Cornish student
For those who want to be a career biomedical scientist within the NHS, its handy to check which courses are IBMS accredited!

or take the new healthcare science degree :smile:
Original post by blow-ice
or take the new healthcare science degree :smile:

indeed! its a slightly different course in terms of content though right?
Reply 13
'allo!

Your list of extracurriculars seems very extensive and I'd dare say you're set for applying. For me, I've done some work at a big hospital, along with volunteering, MUN and all that jazz.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Cornish student
indeed! its a slightly different course in terms of content though right?

I think it's the same at UWE for first years at least but Healthcare Science have more mandatory modules and have to go through courses on patient confidentiality etc.
Going for Durham/KCL/Southampton/Nottingham and the medical biochemistry course at Leeds :smile:
Reply 16
I'm definitely going for KCL and Sheffield. Then I'm stuck between deciding UCL or Manchester.
Still deciding on the other two choices. Probably go for Warwick and one other uni with low entry requirements :smile:
Sent my UCAS last week :smile:
Applied for biomed in:

Lancaster University
Cardiff University (Changed from Bangor University)
University of Kent

And Biological Sciences and Biological and Medical Sciences in the University of Liverpool :smile:

I'm actually thinking that Biological Sciences would be a much better course for me now but I'll just focus on getting in to uni first :smile:
Original post by Bioran
'allo! I'm going for biomed at Imperial, UCL, Durham, Edinburgh and Warwick with IB scores (predicted 42 right now).

Your list of extracurriculars seems very extensive and I'd dare say you're set for applying. For me, I've done some work at a big hospital, along with volunteering, MUN and all that jazz.

Hi :smile: Is the course in Edinburgh that you applied to Medical sciences or Medical Biology?
Just got an offer from Kings Biomedical science :smile:

Quick Reply