The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

American & English Literature at UEA

so this 4 year course includes a year abroad in america (cool!) at places like ucla (rad!) and the rest of the studies take place in the wonderful uea campus, at a uni highly regarded for english-related stuff BUT as it isn't a standard english literature degree, and maybe some would even class it as american studies(?) though you can equally weight the course, do you think it packs much graduate employment POW!-power? thanks
Honestly?

English and American Studies at UEA doesn't pack much "employment - POW."

But is that what you really want? It is a very good course, at a good university.
Isn't that enough?

There are loads of courses like it, at Unis as good or better. What gives it "POW" as you put it, is what else you do at university, and what you make of your time there.

Will the course make you stand out in an employer shortlist? No.

Can you stand out on an employer shortlist having done it? Sure you can.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Has anybody here taken the course?
What was it like, did it seem like a pretty serious Literature course
rather than 'American Studies' or whatever?
I guess I'm worried that it might all be really unashamedly pro-America and stuff.
has anybody been on the year abroad?
What was it like? What did you study? Where did you go?

Thanks, Stef
Reply 3
I applied for American and English Literature, admittedly the year abroad was major factor in leaning towards doing a degree in the school of 'American Studies'.

I also have had worries as to how 'academically strong' the course would be and how others would view it in terms of quality. However I have always aimed to go to university purely for personal enrichment and enjoyment rather than gloat that I had a degree in something outstanding. Purely the fact that you have completed a degree and the experience of the year abroad will help with employability.

I will probably be firming straight 'American Studies' now, it may not be nuclear science or something but it looks immensely interesting and the year abroad is obviously going to be very good.

I wouldn't worry too much about the future now as long as you are going to enjoy your degree, that is what really counts...

I have always had in my mind that I would like to get into journalism (sport specifically). I could do a nationally accredited course and go in to a journalism career at a low level and work my way up but I feel the university experience is not to be missed. Think how many people leave university and end up doing something completely unrelated to their degree, I doubt many of them regret the time they spent at uni!
Reply 4
Hello,
I was wondering whether or not there is someone here that is actually doing the course? I would like a deeper overview of what you really do there as it seems really focused on the american part but not too much on the English literature bit, so it seems like in the first year you only do stuff related to America and none related to English, is that true?? Could someone confirm or just give me more info? (: Thank you
Original post by Maarth
Hello,
I was wondering whether or not there is someone here that is actually doing the course? I would like a deeper overview of what you really do there as it seems really focused on the american part but not too much on the English literature bit, so it seems like in the first year you only do stuff related to America and none related to English, is that true?? Could someone confirm or just give me more info? (: Thank you

Hi, the degree is mostly "American studies" which just means that of the 3 modules per semester, 2 are in AMS (School of American Studies) and 1 will be from LIT (School of Literature and Creative Writing).

In the first year, the AMS modules are a mix of US culture and history, not entirely literature.
However the essay choices are very free, so you can choose to concentrate entirely on literature.
(Because I had the opportunity, I wrote one essay about Dr Strangelove.)

In the second year, all my modules (four AMS, two LIT overall) were on literature.

Yes, most of the degree focuses on America. But a good book is still a good book whether it's written by a Brit or Yank or an Italian.
Reply 6
Original post by Fran Katzenjammer
Hi, the degree is mostly "American studies" which just means that of the 3 modules per semester, 2 are in AMS (School of American Studies) and 1 will be from LIT (School of Literature and Creative Writing).

In the first year, the AMS modules are a mix of US culture and history, not entirely literature.
However the essay choices are very free, so you can choose to concentrate entirely on literature.
(Because I had the opportunity, I wrote one essay about Dr Strangelove.)

In the second year, all my modules (four AMS, two LIT overall) were on literature.

Yes, most of the degree focuses on America. But a good book is still a good book whether it's written by a Brit or Yank or an Italian.

Oh, thank you for the answer, I think I sent you a private message haha sorry then, because the question was the same! Anyway it seems pretty good then, are you in the US now? The year abroad seems really fascinating to me (: I still have to decide though, thank you very much for the info! (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending