The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

NOTTINGHAM UNI student pls help....

PLEASE ONLY HELP IF YOU HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF APPLYING TO NOTTINGHAM UNIVERSITY.
I HATE IT WHEN MILLIONS OF PEOPLE ON TSR TRY TO HELP AND GIVE WRONG ADVICE.

I want to apply for accomodation and its my firm choice but i had a few ques :
1) is there first come first serve policy and which is the best catered halls?
2)what option do people generally choose catered or non catered?
3)is there like a vegeterian or halal option for catered and is it worth it if your a muslim?
4)do we have to share toilets and what kind of room option is best?
5)how do you actually apply?I have my offer but the track update still hasnt come?
6)can you stay in halls for 4 years-is it worth it and have any of you moved out with others if so in which yr?
7)during summer do you give away accomodation if you want to go home and would you then have to apply again for accom?

thanks guys.
:smile:
Reply 1
anyone?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
1) It is indeed first come first serve. I'd say Nightingale, though you'll hear as many answers as there are halls.
2) I'd say most people are catered.
3) Yes, there is.
4) You do share toilets, but you at least have your own sink in your room ... if you take my drift.

Spoiler

The smallest room is fine, the bigger rooms are better, if you have that kind of money to throw around :dontknow:
5) https://accommodation.nottingham.ac.uk/default_all.asp
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommodation/prospectivestudents/undergraduates/howtoapply.aspx
6) You are expected to move out in your 2nd year (you are guaranteed accommodation for first year only. That said, I know people still in halls. You can apply to be in halls again for 2nd & 3rd year, you stand a decent chance of being accepted as the majority of people get their own place, though you may not get a choice over which hall you are in as first years take precedence. I believe in your 4th year you will be guaranteed a place in a postgrad hall (as you'll be a first year again, if you see what I mean), though you may need to look that up.
7) If you're planning to stay then you'll need to apply again (early as possible really). How long you're allowed to stay into the summer depends on which hall you pick. I believe non-catered allow their students to stay something like 40-41 weeks of the year, whereas catered halls strictly turf the students out at the end of every term.

(After looking it up, contracts for Self-Catered are for 44 weeks a year, I'm not sure on Catered, but it's a few weeks fewer)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by richardd

As long as you have Nottingham as your firm choice, and have applied by a certain date (I think it's 1st August, but you should check on the website) you are guaranteed to have some form of university arranged accommodation provided, but not necessarily your first choice. As far as I am aware, accommodation is allocated on a first-come first-served basis. This year you can't choose which hall to go into, beyond which campus you want (either University Park or Jubilee). They're all basically the same - all have very similar facilities, and it's the people that make them anyway.

People go for both. There are about 4000 catered places (give or take) which are usually fairly full, and probably about the same number of first-year students go self catered. Just pick whichever you feel would suit you best.

3)is there like a vegeterian or halal option for catered and is it worth it if your a muslim?

There are always vegetarian options provided at mealtimes. They do cater to other dietary requirements too, as long as you give them advanced notice.

Depends. If you go for an en-suite, then no you don't have to share a toilet. Other room types, yes you will. It may be with one other person, or several. No room type is 'best', it just depends how much money you are prepared to pay, and how bothered you are by sharing.

5)how do you actually apply?I have my offer but the track update still hasnt come?

See this webpage.

6)can you stay in halls for 4 years-is it worth it and have any of you moved out with others if so in which yr?

You can if you want. The majority of people move out after first year, into privately rented accommodation.

7)during summer do you give away accomodation if you want to go home and would you then have to apply again for accom?

If you want to stay in halls the following year, notices will go up shortly after Christmas advising you how/when to reapply. In all catered accommodation, you have to move everything out of your room at Christmas, Easter, and over the summer, as the university uses the rooms during those times. Some storage space is provided, but it is not guaranteed to be secure, and is prioritised towards international students. Self-catered accommodation requires you to move all your stuff out only over the summer, not at Christmas or Easter.

Yes and we don't have a choice of hall this year.
Don't know, personal preference.
Apparently the veggie option is ****.
There's ensuite, private shared bathroom and shared ensuites (shared between two) and studies with a max. of five to a bathroom.
You have to wait until Notts get confirmation, then go on the Portal and a new tab called Next Steps will have appeared. Click on that, then accomodation.
You can but the whole student experience is to move out and get a house. Plus would you want to be like 22 and have a gaggle of silly 18 year olds around?
Catered is only a 31 week let, with the option of extending but with extension, you don't get food. And I think if you want uni accommodation year after year, you would have to apply every year.

thanks guys.

Hope that helps!
Reply 5
Original post by yahyahyahs
We don't have a choice of hall this year.

Really? Wow, that sucks.
Original post by Craig_D
1) You can apply to be in halls again for 2nd & 3rd year, you stand a decent chance of being accepted as the majority of people get their own place, though you may not get a choice over which hall you are in as first years take precedence.

Returners are able to apply before first years can. Ive only ever once known a returner apply for a specific hall and room number and not get it.
Original post by Craig_D
Really? Wow, that sucks.

I know. I'm stuck in one I absolutely hated when I visited it on the Open Day, but it's cool. I kinda got over it and realised it's the people, not the building that makes it all nice.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by COSMICDOLPHIN
Returners are able to apply before first years can. Ive only ever once known a returner apply for a specific hall and room number and not get it.

I agree as a friend is still in the same hall, I just didn't want the responsibility of the OP quoting me in a year's time complaining that they didn't get their old hall again and I gave them false hope :colondollar:
Reply 9

thanks guys.

most important advice:

stay away from NTU students, or they'll give you AIDS
Reply 10
Original post by Craig_D
1) It is indeed first come first serve. I'd say Nightingale, though you'll hear as many answers as there are halls.
2) I'd say most people are catered.
3) Yes, there is.
4) You do share toilets, but you at least have your own sink in your room ... if you take my drift.

Spoiler

The smallest room is fine, the bigger rooms are better, if you have that kind of money to throw around :dontknow:
5) https://accommodation.nottingham.ac.uk/default_all.asp
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommodation/prospectivestudents/undergraduates/howtoapply.aspx
6) You are expected to move out in your 2nd year (you are guaranteed accommodation for first year only. That said, I know people still in halls. You can apply to be in halls again for 2nd & 3rd year, you stand a decent chance of being accepted as the majority of people get their own place, though you may not get a choice over which hall you are in as first years take precedence. I believe in your 4th year you will be guaranteed a place in a postgrad hall (as you'll be a first year again, if you see what I mean), though you may need to look that up.
7) If you're planning to stay then you'll need to apply again (early as possible really). How long you're allowed to stay into the summer depends on which hall you pick. I believe non-catered allow their students to stay something like 40-41 weeks of the year, whereas catered halls strictly turf the students out at the end of every term.

(After looking it up, contracts for Self-Catered are for 44 weeks a year, I'm not sure on Catered, but it's a few weeks fewer)

Original post by alex-hs
As long as you have Nottingham as your firm choice, and have applied by a certain date (I think it's 1st August, but you should check on the website) you are guaranteed to have some form of university arranged accommodation provided, but not necessarily your first choice. As far as I am aware, accommodation is allocated on a first-come first-served basis. This year you can't choose which hall to go into, beyond which campus you want (either University Park or Jubilee). They're all basically the same - all have very similar facilities, and it's the people that make them anyway.

People go for both. There are about 4000 catered places (give or take) which are usually fairly full, and probably about the same number of first-year students go self catered. Just pick whichever you feel would suit you best.

There are always vegetarian options provided at mealtimes. They do cater to other dietary requirements too, as long as you give them advanced notice.

Depends. If you go for an en-suite, then no you don't have to share a toilet. Other room types, yes you will. It may be with one other person, or several. No room type is 'best', it just depends how much money you are prepared to pay, and how bothered you are by sharing.

See this webpage.

You can if you want. The majority of people move out after first year, into privately rented accommodation.

If you want to stay in halls the following year, notices will go up shortly after Christmas advising you how/when to reapply. In all catered accommodation, you have to move everything out of your room at Christmas, Easter, and over the summer, as the university uses the rooms during those times. Some storage space is provided, but it is not guaranteed to be secure, and is prioritised towards international students. Self-catered accommodation requires you to move all your stuff out only over the summer, not at Christmas or Easter.

thank you very much you guys are amazingly helpful.
is there any other advice you guys would give about societies ect? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by yahyahyahs
Hope that helps!

oh yeah thanks to you as well you guys have been extremely helpful :smile:
Has anyone received a place at accommodation?
Reply 13
I got an accomodation offer yesterday, ancaster hall :smile:
but i did apply on the first day it opened so if you havent got one yet i wouldnt worry!

Quick Reply

Latest