The Student Room Group

AQA- English Literature at AS Level, Literature B

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by EffKayy

Original post by EffKayy
Well you can use that for an evaluation point for AO2 (band5-6) :wink:

This is very true, but I can't even stand writing about it :P aha I think I'm going to leave it for Section B and write the least on it!
Reply 41
Well I like Enduring Love! :ahee:

Don't get me wrong, the science bits can be dull, but it makes it easier to write about characterisation for each person. :biggrin:
Reply 42
HEY fellow English people, I sent this to a fellow TSR member on Enduring Love and Aspects of Narrative
1. does it make any sense?
2. Could we discuss aspects of narrative? my teachers have barely covered it and that is what the whole course is on! AHH

Enduring Love too! Bleurgh...

In Enduring Love I'd say Joe is an unreliable narrator due to a number of reasons.
One, as you mentioned he decieved Clarissa through going through her things/not telling her about the phone call.
Secondly as he over complicates matters, his manic evidence collecting and over-analysing 'evidence' in a way that may be seen as unrealistic. This would again make the reader believe him to be an unreliable narrator.
The fact that the whole novel bar the appendix and the one chapter about Clarissa are from Joe's point of view, must we always judge his version of events, did he really see a bit of Parry's show in the library, or not?

General aspects of Narrative: (we haven't done much on this in class, despite the whole course being aspects of narrative!)
A few things to consider:
obviously, is it 1st/3rd person? point of view you're being told the story.
Are other characters mentioned?
Is the narrator in the story?
Time, are they talking about the story now, has time elapsed?

Hope this helps a little, I'm having trouble myself.

Whoaaa, why did I get a negative?! aha
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
bar the typos which i'm spotting as I read through, OOPS
Original post by lampshade1
I'm the same, I HATE enduring love! Joe is so unrealistic!!! The fact that I find the main character so unbelievable makes the mere idea of enjoying the book impossible. The idea of stalking is usually a good story line but Ian McEwan tries to pad it out with his scientific knowledge which just make the characters as boring as hell and unrealistic!

I found it soooo funny when joe uses all these scientific terms, and yet at one point he says "Clarissa grabbed my balls"
my class were in hysterics
Reply 45
Original post by f.chowdhury

I found it soooo funny when joe uses all these scientific terms, and yet at one point he says "Clarissa grabbed my balls"

aha SAME :') we laughed way too much at that, she made us read the rest of the chapter in silence! And I swear there is a bit where he goes 'i felt the need to urinate' WHAT THE HELL?!! :P
Reply 46

I found that hilarious too, it was so scientific and formal and that just came out of nowhere! :tongue:
aha SAME :') we laughed way too much at that, she made us read the rest of the chapter in silence! And I swear there is a bit where he goes 'i felt the need to urinate' WHAT THE HELL?!! :P

hahaahahhaha!!!

oh and here's another one:
Clarissa kissed me and i got a hard-on

Oh i swear McEwan was high when he wrote some of this :P
Reply 48

Really? I can't remember (been ages since i've read it)
Original post by EffKayy
Really? I can't remember (been ages since i've read it)

Yeahh hahaha It was somewhere in the first few chapters!! Funny stuff.
Reply 50
Original post by racaha

Original post by racaha
I found that hilarious too, it was so scientific and formal and that just came out of nowhere! :tongue:

It is funny when he does that :P can people who do enduring love read what I wrote above to see if it makes sense? etc
Reply 51
It is funny when he does that :P can people who do enduring love read what I wrote above to see if it makes sense? etc

:yep: seems to. You could also mention the part where he gets details mixed up after the shooting and Clarissa saying about the handwriting being similar to Joe's in the letter. These both make the audience question Joe's reliability. :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by racaha

Original post by racaha
:yep: seems to. You could also mention the part where he gets details mixed up after the shooting and Clarissa saying about the handwriting being similar to Joe's in the letter. These both make the audience question Joe's reliability. :smile:

Yes! I knew there was something I was missing, I'll pass that on to them
Reply 53
Yes! I knew there was something I was missing, I'll pass that on to them

Gooood :biggrin:
Reply 54
hello, I was just wondering is any one has got any A grade answers (Great Gatsby,Enduring love, auden, or tennysonessays ) that i could have a look at.
Reply 55
Hey .. I'm doing Gatsby, Enduring Love, Hardy and The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. I am seriously dreading this exam; I'm predicted A's, yet keep getting B's in practice papers, and we haven't even started section B work yet, nor have we finished either of our poetry texts. :frown:
My teacher for Enduring Love/ Ancient Mariner has not taught us anything relevant to the exam, so I'm gonna fail :frown::frown:
Reply 56
Original post by Ayeshaa:)
Hey .. I'm doing Gatsby, Enduring Love, Hardy and The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. I am seriously dreading this exam; I'm predicted A's, yet keep getting B's in practice papers, and we haven't even started section B work yet, nor have we finished either of our poetry texts. :frown:
My teacher for Enduring Love/ Ancient Mariner has not taught us anything relevant to the exam, so I'm gonna fail :frown::frown:

I fellyour pain lol , english literature use to be my srongest subject , but at A level im findign it hard to get out of band 4/5.In temrs of enduign love,i have just finished rivising that text(i ahvent don specific chapters becouse i ma leaving it for section b),but if you have any specific questions on any of the apsects of narrative, i would be happy to help
Reply 57
Original post by humera01

I fellyour pain lol , english literature use to be my srongest subject , but at A level im findign it hard to get out of band 4/5.In temrs of enduign love,i have just finished rivising that text(i ahvent don specific chapters becouse i ma leaving it for section b),but if you have any specific questions on any of the apsects of narrative, i would be happy to help

could you read what I wrote above about aspects of narrative? as I'm not sure I've covered any of the certain ones, we haven't actually done ANYTHING on general narrative at school :frown:
Reply 58

Your spelling is awful, did you pass english?
Reply 59
yes i know my spellign is awful lol.i got an A* in english lit at gcse, and an a in language(my spelling's pushed me down to an a otherwise thta would have been an A* to).

Quick Reply

Latest