The Student Room Group

AQA- English Literature at AS Level, Literature B

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
pride and prejudice, enduring love, hardy and auden...
Reply 81
Original post by <3 inbetweener D
I'm doing gatsby, Rossetti, hardy and god of small things (swear I'm the only person doing this novel...)
anyone else find it difficult to know where they stand because the markscheme is so vague and subjective? my two teachers give such different marks for my essays it's hard to know where I'm even at

I am doing gatsby to. In terms of the mark schemes i think thery are lookign for the smae things
in section a part a they just want you to explore aspects of narrative adn from structure and language
aspects of narrtive
characterisation
voice
point of vie
scenes and places
destination
time and sequence

explore about three aspects of narrative in detail and make links to form structure and language. the eastiest way to do it is to link:

characertisation -with language-metaphores-personificication ect.explore the effects and how it helps to shape the narrative or how it adds meaning to the text.
voice/point of view- discuss these tow aspects of narrative along with your exploration of structure- for exmaple how the narrator shapes the poem/noevle in a way that highlight his perspective or point of view--For exmaple in the great Gatsby Nick wants to highlight hwo great gatsby is and therefore includes chapter 9(which serves almost as a epiglouge) in praise of Gatsby.
time and sequence can also be linekd to the narrator - is it in the past tense or presenr-what effect does this have-for example in chapter threeis set in the present tense to allow Nick to brign alive the atmoshere of gatsbys party. furthermore he omits and compresses time as he pleases.for exmaple he discusses the frist three chapters in such detail even though they were mearly 'casual events in a crouded summer', and in the last chapter there is a time lapse of two years.
scenes and places- what mood /atmosphere does it create - does it reflect the thematic conerns of the play-if so does a change in the scene or place help to lead to a particular destination. for exmaple, you could discuss the pathetic phallecy surrouding gatsbys death (we see images of autume and decaying and eyalowign leaves)- you could argue that it shows fitzgerlad autorial perspective that gatsby's death is a loss on epic proportions- this could explain why images of death and decay surround his death.

hope this helps. if you put at leat three aspects of narrative in and explain all your points in detail (a lot about a little) you should be fine.Also rember for the higher bands it is essential you evlauate.
Reply 82
Original post by Becca.K

im as also doing Auden and enduring love...have you got any good exmaples of essays or any good ntoes on these texts
Reply 83
does anyone have any good notes on tennysosn godiva
Reply 84
Original post by humera01

Tennysosn use of voice and point fo view is highly significant.The poem takes the form of a dramatic monolouge with the protagonst 'Ullyses' addresing an audience in a first person retrospective narrative(as ndicated by the perosnal pronoun'I').given that Ullyses is tlaking ,Tennson creates a sence of natural speath through his use of metre; thorughout the poem a stander metre of iambic perntarmeter ('to srtive/to se4k/to find/and not /to yeild') to immitatethe rhythem and flow of natural speach. Varaiations in this iambic norm are than taken advantage by tennyson when he wants to highlight a specific perspective; for exmaple the intitial replcment fo the iambic norm by a troched ,when Ullyses is resenting bing 'matched' with an 'aged wife' , is effective in creatign a sence of contempt

Moreover, This choice of form means that we are given direct insight into Ullyses mind, as we see how he years for adventure as he reflects on 'how dul it is to pause'.In this way the ullyses dominant voice in the poem allows tennysons to highlight Ullyses perspective and thus highlight his account of events, in other words his story.His point of view is highlighted though ego-centric phrases showing his hubristic and arrognat assertions that he is, ‘ part of all that' he has 'met’.

Moreover we can argue that form and structure is also used to emphasise Ullyses perspective, as well as the tthematic elements of the poem. for exmaple,the use of enjanmbment approritaly reflects Ullyses disire to push forwerd 'beyond the upmost boun of hum thought'.

Dramatic monologue – shown by first person narration, perhaps he gets an audience from ‘this is my son’.
• Refers to himself as the ‘idle King’ – majority of the poem concerned with himself, self-absorbed.
• He uses ego-centric phrases showing the dramatic monologue, ‘I am part of all that I have met’.
• By the beginning of the poem – he establishes how he feels about others which makes him seem more superior and paves the way for the monologue to continue.
Structure
• Four sections = all one stanza, like a stream of consciousness.
• Indent when ‘this is my son’ suggests another section of the poem, a new audience.
• Indent ‘there lies port’ – new audience again – moving into a different time frame.
Language
‘I am become a name’ – thinks he is famous.

sorry, I went to bed ! aha I'll do time and sequence sometime today and post it on here
Reply 85

lol egnore the bottom notes--i was gonna sue them to write another paragraph but than fergot.

Tennyson’s use of time and the sequence, in which it is presented to the reader, is very important. Ulysses begins with the King talking of his present situation, the ‘still hearth’ and his ‘aged wife’ which is then contrasted with his past which is mentioned later in the poem. This use of juxtaposition emphaisises the dilemma which the King seems to be facing, can he leave his people and travel? Subsequently the use of time here demonstrates the King’s fixation with the possibilities of the future, what he could be doing, instead of remaining the idle King.
The idea of his future plans seems to present the theme of life after death which is demonstrated through the change in time. Towards the end of the poem there seems to be an acceptance, in particular when the King comments, ‘the vessel puffs her sail’. This personification of the boat shows his sense of fondness; he is ready to go now. Furthermore, personification is used to demonstrate the end of the day, ‘the long day wanes: the slow moon climbs’. The word ‘wanes’ seems to bring a sadness, yet still acceptance, to the King, thus showing how it could demonstrate, not only the passing of the day, but the passing of his life and how it is coming to an end. This demonstrates how Tennyson has used time and sequence to enhance the perspective of the King to hand over the choice to reader as to whether this King is selfish or heroic in his yearning to travel. This naturally aids the telling of the story within the poem.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 86
I'm doing Rossetti and Gatsby D:
I'm so unprepared for both its unreal, but for Rossetti our teachers been away ill for this last half term so we've hardly covered most of the poems. I'm scaaaaared!
Reply 87
Original post by shakirawr

I'm doing Rossetti and Gatsby D:
I'm so unprepared for both its unreal, but for Rossetti our teachers been away ill for this last half term so we've hardly covered most of the poems. I'm scaaaaared!

Which poems have you done for Rossetti, we can go through them and others to help...as I'm doing Rossetti too, so it'll help me to talk about them :smile:
Reply 88
The set poems which i have to study are:
Echo
A Birthday
Song
Remember
Up-hill
Twice
Maude Clare
Shut Out
Winter:My Secret
A Better Resurrection
Good Friday
Despised and Rejected
To Lalla
The Lowest Place
Summer is Ended

The ones up to twice i'm sort of alright on, but when it gets ot Maude Clare i'm all aaaaah! :P
Reply 89

The set poems which i have to study are:
Echo
A Birthday
Song
Remember
Up-hill
Twice
Maude Clare
Shut Out
Winter:My Secret
A Better Resurrection
Good Friday
Despised and Rejected
To Lalla
The Lowest Place
Summer is Ended

The ones up to twice i'm sort of alright on, but when it gets ot Maude Clare i'm all aaaaah! :P

well out of those I'm only doing Maude Clare and Winter:My Secret, when I've made notes on them, I'll personal message you? and we can talk through it and stuff :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by lampshade1
well out of those I'm only doing Maude Clare and Winter:My Secret, when I've made notes on them, I'll personal message you? and we can talk through it and stuff :smile:

OH YES PLEASE :smile:
i really need to cover Maude Clare, i have no notes on it!
Reply 91
I fellyour pain lol , english literature use to be my srongest subject , but at A level im findign it hard to get out of band 4/5.In temrs of enduign love,i have just finished rivising that text(i ahvent don specific chapters becouse i ma leaving it for section b),but if you have any specific questions on any of the apsects of narrative, i would be happy to help

Thanks. I think I'm leaving enduring love for section B as well. Which text are you considering doing for section A?. We haven't really done much on aspects of narrative, apart from analysing sjuzet/fabula every single lesson :|
Reply 92
im as also doing Auden and enduring love...have you got any good exmaples of essays or any good ntoes on these texts

let me know if these are useful! (if it's worked lol)
Reply 93
Original post by Becca.K

Original post by Becca.K

have you got any enduring Love essays???
Reply 94
have you got any enduring Love essays???

no sorry the only essays i have are handwritten, i have this though...might be useful...
Reply 95
Original post by Becca.K

Original post by Becca.K
no sorry the only essays i have are handwritten, i have this though...might be useful...

Reply 96
I'm not really sure how I haven't discovered this thread already!

How are you guys all revising for this exam? I've currently done plans for Section A (a); I'm hoping to do The Great Gatsby, but if there's a rubbish question for Section A (b) I'll do Hardy's poems.

I'm going to make a list of narrative features previously tested on Section B and weed out some probable questions. Have any of your teachers speculated on the question?
Reply 97
Original post by Groat

Original post by Groat
I'm not really sure how I haven't discovered this thread already!

How are you guys all revising for this exam? I've currently done plans for Section A (a); I'm hoping to do The Great Gatsby, but if there's a rubbish question for Section A (b) I'll do Hardy's poems.

I'm going to make a list of narrative features previously tested on Section B and weed out some probable questions. Have any of your teachers speculated on the question?

I'm going to do poems for A, so Rossetti or Tennyson for me....doing plans like you, not spending ages writing them.

B we haven't even started looking at it in lessons!!! any tips/help on how do to it would be appreciated !
Reply 98
I'm going to do poems for A, so Rossetti or Tennyson for me....doing plans like you, not spending ages writing them.

B we haven't even started looking at it in lessons!!! any tips/help on how do to it would be appreciated !

Section B covers a broad narrative aspect (narrators, time, setting, openings, etc) and is marked on AO1, AO2 and AO3.

Don't compare between your texts, at all. You will not gain any extra credit and you'll likely lose marks for losing focus.

Other than that, try and pick the best point and analyse it well, with a selection of strong and relevant quotes. Don't prove your knowledge of the whole book or all the poems for the sake of it, it's likely you'll lose focus.
Reply 99
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Revision:colone:nduring_Love_Revision
This looks realy good for enduing love guys. And im also doing Tennyson for section A.For section A(b) it woudl be a good idea to group your poemsunder a particular themes. thta way you cna make links even if you get a poem specific question(by doign this you get a04 litterary context marks, and plus it will help you form a clearer argument).
if Anyones got any essay plans typed up plese cna you pst them on here.

ohhh and how to you add on a word document iv got a section b example for you guys(it onyl got around 30/42 marks though), but i lost most of the marks becosue of my spellings so it should ehlp you guys get an idea becouse the content is in band 5/6.

Quick Reply

Latest