The Student Room Group

The best universities for film and tv production?

Scroll to see replies

Hey there! Please do excuse my username on here, I’ve just stumbled across this topic and had to post a comment, it’s the first thing that popped in to my head.

Plus, I live in the North West, more specifically I live around the Burnley area and there aren’t as many choices up here in the North West for such subjects as TV Production. Yes. There may be UCLAN, Grimsby (I think), and Bradford, but I wanted more choices. I know that the BBC is moving a lot of its departments up to Salford, which coincidentally, I was hanging around the building the other month because I went to go and see Hamlet performed in the theatre opposite it, for my English A Level, but that’s a different story.

Yes. There is a HUGE benefit for the BBC moving up to Salford, hopefully more placements and courses, but this could be wishful thinking I am still a little tempted, admittedly, to taking a gap year out, but I feel insecure about this as Salford/Manchester may not offer the course I want… and so on. But if you’re thinking of this, Manchester is a great place to be! Salford isn’t too bad either, but Manchester is much better. The shopping, nightlife, entertainment, M.E.N. Arena seems to be the place I spend most of my nights at now - Gaga. Best gig. Amazing!

In the end I applied to do Television Production at Gloustershire (becoming my first choice), Middlesex (seconds choice), Bradford, Bedfordshire and Southampton. I thought it may be useful for some of the users on here to listen to my opinions of the places, just coz, you’know, us teen’s like to help each other out…

First off I’ll begin with Southampton. The University actually organised an interview with me, as I live in the North West and the informed me I think it was about a week before hand of this interview I was unable to attend so I asked to change it. Yes. They did change it, but I received the phone call telling me when it was the day before. Impossible to get there you see. When I (tried to be calm) spoke to them, explaining the situation to them, they weren’t exactly co-operative and in the end I withdrew my application.

Bedfordshire. Fantastic course in my opinion. Luton however… Since I practically live in Burnley, thankfully the nice area where no crime seems to reach it, I thought ‘Oh, Luton. Can’t be too bad”. My word. If anyone has a negative view of Burnley imagine that and x10 worse. The accommodation in second/ third year out of halls would make you feel incredibly insecure. The speaker at the University, the talk in the morning, explained most students lived at home and travelled in to Luton each day. Quite a problem for me. In fact, that very same week, I discovered this after the talk as a parent brought it up in the questions at the end, that there was a mistaken identity of some drug dealers or something, and the attackers had beaten up two students. The wrong people. Yeah….

Bradford. Cheapest accommodation for students. And you can tell why. With the other Universities I had chosen they had studios, all this fancy beneficial technology. Bradford has nothing. Yes, it’s meant to be like, really good for its media, but even its lecturers didn’t excite this. It seemed like the course was just, sorry, but just a piss take for its Television Production and various other media related courses.

Middlesex is lovely! The area isn’t too bad, great links with industry as they spoke of recent student going abroad to work on projects that had been paid for by industries… Only downside with this course is that it doesn’t include light, editing, sound etc, just directing producing and management. Even though I know I’d rather focus on directing, I think it’s nice to have just that more variety in the first and seconds year, as I do quite enjoy editing and camera operation too.

Gloucester, what can I say?! Lovely place- beautiful. The only doubt I have with it is the links, but as because of where I live up here in the North West I have ITV and BBC Manchester and Salford on my plate; I’d hope that with the Universities help I’d be able to get experience here (hope being the important word here), as I have applied to therefore the past 3 years though the website and post, contacts and so on, and have had limited success. Although, I did get to shadow the BBC at my Dad’s work place in Burnley, as they were filming Antiques Master there, hung around for a week, had a dabble, you’know, good stuff! Glouster is also benefited by the area, other industry establishments are near by, Cardiff, Birmingham, Gloucester has is own radio and student TV channel that the students run, and the elements of the course are what I do like.

Although, I am still dithering a little bit. The best course for me is at Bedfordshire, probably benefited by the links and opportunities with London, Middlesex, really like, but I wouldn’t be happy with the course, but the best area is Gloucester with the benefit of an enjoyable course. Its really where your gonna be happy with at the end of the day, so this is only my waffled, and quite lengthy (MY GOD! HOW MUCH HAVE I TYPED?!) post, but I hope this gave an insight in some way…

If anyone has any questions I’m happy to answer any!
(Oh, and if anyone want information about student support regarding dyslexia, dyspraxia (which I have), Gloucester seems to be very supportive and Middlesex seem to be the most ‘supportive’)
Reply 201
Don't go to Luton, trust your instinct.

Have you never heard of Bournemouth and Ravensbourne? These offer the best Television courses in the UK, and that's industry opinion talking not whatever you read in uni reviews. The people working on the most watched shows in the country will all know Bournemouth and Ravensbourne.
Reply 202
Original post by CactusSunglasses

Have you never heard of Bournemouth and Ravensbourne? These offer the best Television courses in the UK, and that's industry opinion talking not whatever you read in uni reviews. The people working on the most watched shows in the country will all know Bournemouth and Ravensbourne, Bournemouth for more editorial focused courses and Rave for technical. Both would give you a fantastic general grounding, though.
(edited 12 years ago)

Sorry if this is really obvious, but was it Southampton Solent? I thought Southampton only did Film studies, as in analysing films/media?
Reply 204
Original post by morris743

Have you never heard of Bournemouth and Ravensbourne? These offer the best Television courses in the UK, and that's industry opinion talking not whatever you read in uni reviews. The people working on the most watched shows in the country will all know Bournemouth and Ravensbourne, Bournemouth for more editorial focused courses and Rave for technical. Both would give you a fantastic general grounding, though.

+1 for morris743's comment!
Reply 205
Original post by JayS90
+1 for morris743's comment!

Ty :smile: I trust Rave is treating you well? :smile:
Reply 206
Ty :smile: I trust Rave is treating you well? :smile:

Oh yes, I love it there! :smile: I originally applied for Post-Production and was rejected, but I did a Foundation there for a year and realised that Broadcast Operations was totally my thing. The course is fantastic, can't think of anything I'd rather be doing :biggrin:
Reply 207
Original post by JayS90
Oh yes, I love it there! :smile: I originally applied for Post-Production and was rejected, but I did a Foundation there for a year and realised that Broadcast Operations was totally my thing. The course is fantastic, can't think of anything I'd rather be doing :biggrin:

Great to hear :smile: So, how's Greenwich compared to Chislehurst? :biggrin:
Hey there! Please do excuse my username on here, I’ve just stumbled across this topic and had to post a comment, it’s the first thing that popped in to my head.

Plus, I live in the North West, more specifically I live around the Burnley area and there aren’t as many choices up here in the North West for such subjects as TV Production. Yes. There may be UCLAN, Grimsby (I think), and Bradford, but I wanted more choices. I know that the BBC is moving a lot of its departments up to Salford, which coincidentally, I was hanging around the building the other month because I went to go and see Hamlet performed in the theatre opposite it, for my English A Level, but that’s a different story.

Yes. There is a HUGE benefit for the BBC moving up to Salford, hopefully more placements and courses, but this could be wishful thinking I am still a little tempted, admittedly, to taking a gap year out, but I feel insecure about this as Salford/Manchester may not offer the course I want… and so on. But if you’re thinking of this, Manchester is a great place to be! Salford isn’t too bad either, but Manchester is much better. The shopping, nightlife, entertainment, M.E.N. Arena seems to be the place I spend most of my nights at now - Gaga. Best gig. Amazing!

In the end I applied to do Television Production at Gloustershire (becoming my first choice), Middlesex (seconds choice), Bradford, Bedfordshire and Southampton. I thought it may be useful for some of the users on here to listen to my opinions of the places, just coz, you’know, us teen’s like to help each other out…

First off I’ll begin with Southampton. The University actually organised an interview with me, as I live in the North West and the informed me I think it was about a week before hand of this interview I was unable to attend so I asked to change it. Yes. They did change it, but I received the phone call telling me when it was the day before. Impossible to get there you see. When I (tried to be calm) spoke to them, explaining the situation to them, they weren’t exactly co-operative and in the end I withdrew my application.

Bedfordshire. Fantastic course in my opinion. Luton however… Since I practically live in Burnley, thankfully the nice area where no crime seems to reach it, I thought ‘Oh, Luton. Can’t be too bad”. My word. If anyone has a negative view of Burnley imagine that and x10 worse. The accommodation in second/ third year out of halls would make you feel incredibly insecure. The speaker at the University, the talk in the morning, explained most students lived at home and travelled in to Luton each day. Quite a problem for me. In fact, that very same week, I discovered this after the talk as a parent brought it up in the questions at the end, that there was a mistaken identity of some drug dealers or something, and the attackers had beaten up two students. The wrong people. Yeah….

Bradford. Cheapest accommodation for students. And you can tell why. With the other Universities I had chosen they had studios, all this fancy beneficial technology. Bradford has nothing. Yes, it’s meant to be like, really good for its media, but even its lecturers didn’t excite this. It seemed like the course was just, sorry, but just a piss take for its Television Production and various other media related courses.

Middlesex is lovely! The area isn’t too bad, great links with industry as they spoke of recent student going abroad to work on projects that had been paid for by industries… Only downside with this course is that it doesn’t include light, editing, sound etc, just directing producing and management. Even though I know I’d rather focus on directing, I think it’s nice to have just that more variety in the first and seconds year, as I do quite enjoy editing and camera operation too.

Gloucester, what can I say?! Lovely place- beautiful. The only doubt I have with it is the links, but as because of where I live up here in the North West I have ITV and BBC Manchester and Salford on my plate; I’d hope that with the Universities help I’d be able to get experience here (hope being the important word here), as I have applied to therefore the past 3 years though the website and post, contacts and so on, and have had limited success. Although, I did get to shadow the BBC at my Dad’s work place in Burnley, as they were filming Antiques Master there, hung around for a week, had a dabble, you’know, good stuff! Glouster is also benefited by the area, other industry establishments are near by, Cardiff, Birmingham, Gloucester has is own radio and student TV channel that the students run, and the elements of the course are what I do like.

Although, I am still dithering a little bit. The best course for me is at Bedfordshire, probably benefited by the links and opportunities with London, Middlesex, really like, but I wouldn’t be happy with the course, but the best area is Gloucester with the benefit of an enjoyable course. Its really where your gonna be happy with at the end of the day, so this is only my waffled, and quite lengthy (MY GOD! HOW MUCH HAVE I TYPED?!) post, but I hope this gave an insight in some way…

If anyone has any questions I’m happy to answer any!
(Oh, and if anyone want information about student support regarding dyslexia, dyspraxia (which I have), Gloucester seems to be very supportive and Middlesex seem to be the most ‘supportive’)

I have Salford as my firm choice and I went to the open day last week and Manchester seems like the place to be for media over the next few years. Salford is the only university who will have lectures, etc at MediaCityUK from 2011 and ITV will actually only be a floor above the floor where the lectures will be at MediaCity
Reply 209
Yeah, my friend does journalism at Salford and apparently the industry links are really good. I might have applied myself, but I already live in Manchester and really wanted to move away!
Reply 210
Great to hear :smile: So, how's Greenwich compared to Chislehurst? :biggrin:

A bit hit and miss to be honest. Facilities wise, absolutely top-notch for broadcasting. Ravensbourne are pretty much moving towards digital media and broadcasting, with design and fashion being left behind (they've cut most of the design and fashion courses for 11/12, budget cuts I guess). The building has dozens of problems, expected with such a design. Location wise, 10x better. Only takes me just over half an hour to get there compared to the 2.5 hours to Chislehurst!
Reply 211
Original post by JayS90
A bit hit and miss to be honest. Facilities wise, absolutely top-notch for broadcasting. Ravensbourne are pretty much moving towards digital media and broadcasting, with design and fashion being left behind (they've cut most of the design and fashion courses for 11/12, budget cuts I guess). The building has dozens of problems, expected with such a design. Location wise, 10x better. Only takes me just over half an hour to get there compared to the 2.5 hours to Chislehurst!

Sounds pretty good all round then :wink:
Reply 212
Chester?
Coventry?
Original post by angelmxxx
Sorry if this is really obvious, but was it Southampton Solent? I thought Southampton only did Film studies, as in analysing films/media?

Yeah, it was Southampton Solent I can’t remember which course I applied for originally, but it was something to do with TV I’m sure of it.

Bournemouth, yes, but way too far away for me from where I’m living at the moment, I wouldn’t feel comfortable being about 6 hours away from home really if I didn’t enjoy Uni. Plus, I’m not the bravest little mite when it comes to new places, feel a bit overwhelmed.

I had originally considered Ravensbourne as well as Bournemouth, but it’s just the distance, and the higher cost of living I’d suspect. I don’t know if my parents have influenced me so much to reject these Uni’s, or if they’ve influenced me to the point of going to Gloucester. My college hasn’t exactly helped either. I’m even more confused with Uni that I was last year; I know this is like, difficult to say, but is Gloucester okay for its course? I really only want to do TV rather than film, just seems more me, and there isn't exactly many Uni's, in my opinion, that do this course.

I am considering going for Salford next year, but I do really want to move further away, as this is only an hour-ish away from home.
Reply 214
I understand what you're saying about not wanting to be so far away. I also know you say you want to be further than an hour away, but as others have mentioned Salford would be good right about now for obvious reasons...
(Just to keep you updated) I'm gonna go visit Salford Uni on Wednesday, and I'm gonna drop a call to UCAS tomorrow and Salford, just a few quires about possibly changing my choices, blah blah blah... Hope it goes well! Looking at the course content I've stumbled across Television and Radio, and Media Production, which personally suits me best.

And sine I have to be up early tomorrow for work, think I’ll end my Uni research for tonight/this morning ; I already feel a lot happier. Thanks you lot! :biggrin:
Reply 216
AUCB Film Production or Newport Film & Video?
Both look really good and I think course aside I'd be happier at Newport. But I think AUCB might be more recognised in England, whilst Newport has a close connection with film in Wales. Both offer high quality equipment and skills training and are Skillset certified. Anyone do these courses at either of these institutions to give me an idea what it's like?
Im at Middlesex doing TV Journalism. We're mixed in with production and tech arts students so we're all learning about different aspects in the industry. In Television Journalism, the first year modules you do are Intro to Journalism, Single cam production, Intro to tv studies and media moralities. This year we're moving from trent park to the new media campus in hendon which is said to have the best media facilities in the country.
Reply 219
Hi everybody :smile:
I am from Bulgaria and I want to study film production in UK. I am interested the most in film directing and producing. I have an offer from 4 universities for BA, but I don't have any idea which one is the best. These are the universities which are offering me a place:
- Bournemouth University & Wiltshire College Salisbury - Film Production and Cinematography;
- UClan - Film Production
- Anglia Ruskin University Cambridge - Film and Television Production;
- Leeds Metropolitan - Film and Moving Image Production;
For now, after what I read, I am thinking to accept the offer from Bournemouth University, but honestly I don't have any idea about the others. I like the programs of all, but I want to hear other opinions than these in the webside, after all they are with advertising purposes. :smile:
Could you give me some advice and opinions about these universities and programs?
Thank you for your help! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply