The Student Room Group

A-Level English Literature Reading List.

I know there are some threads on here somewhere on the same topic but I really cannot be bothered to search through thousands of posts so yeah...

I would be eternally grateful to anyone that could help me out by posting a list of books that I might end up studying at AS/A2 Level English Literature. A full list would be preferred.

Thank you :smile:
Just ask the English teachers. They'll tell you exactly which one you'll be studying =]
Im sure its sometimes different for different schools but mine are:

Novels: Brighton Rock and A Clockwork Orange

Poems: Collection from The Rattle Bag

Play: Hamlet and Revenger's Tragedy.

For A2:

Novels: The Great Gatsby and Captain Corelli's Mandolin

Poems

Play: Othello
mine are: Othello, The Great Gatsby, Street-car named Desire and Enduring Love.
Original post by Blue November
Just ask the English teachers. They'll tell you exactly which one you'll be studying =]

I've only just applied for college... so I'm not exactly sure who my teachers are or what exam board I'll be studying for :/

I just want to do some background/wider reading to get a head-start ready for September.
Mine are The Great Gatsby, the Ancient Mariner, the Kite Runner, and Hardy poetry. Also Hamlet and Saved by Edward bond for Coursework... AQA AS
Reply 6
Highly likely you'll be doing some Shakespeare, but you won't find out the detailed reading list until Sep.

In AS I did 'The Struggle for Modern Identity':
Things fall apart
The World's wife
The Color Purple
Top Girls
Angels in America
Auden poetry

In A2 I did: 'Love through the ages':
Othello
A streetcar named desire
The Great Gatsby
Notes on a Scandal
Robert Browning poetry
And an anthology made up of love poetry spanning a few centuries.
Plus a whole load of random extracts from books/plays/poems for wider reading.
Reply 7
At AS Level:

The Great Gatsby
The Kite Runner
Othello
Death of a Salesman
The Poems of Robert Browning

At A2 Level:

Frankenstein
Dr Faustus
The Bloody Chamber
The Handmaid's Tale
The Feminist Poetry of Carol Ann Duffy
Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Yeah, I wanted to do the same when I applied to a different school for 6th form. Give the college a ring and they should be able to give you some sort of info. :smile:
Reply 10
Depends what period of literature you're studying at A Level.

With AQA your teacher can pick whether you do Victorian or Modern literature. but at A2 the theme is books about love and that's what everyone does.

In L6 I did Victorian...
Jane Eyre
Silas Marner
Poetry of Emily Dickinson
Poetry of Thomas Hardy
Mrs Warren's Profession
A Woman of No Importance
Oliver Twist
Wuthering Heights

In U6 I did
Othello
Canterbury Tales
Poetry of John Donne

But we were told to read widely around the theme and not just concentrate on the books we were doing in class.
I have just started a poetry channel on youtube for AS/A level Literature students...I am willing to take video requests to help you with poetry and text analysis :smile: channel name: poetryhelp101
mine's completely different
we had coursework for :Journey's End and Regeneration
and the exam we've got The Picture of Dorian Gray and Yeats poetry.
The English teacher gave us the reading list on the college taster day. I'm doing The Picture of Dorian Gray, Nine Horses, A Streetcar named Desire and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. OCR.
Original post by lbcharlotte1994
mine's completely different
we had coursework for :Journey's End and Regeneration
and the exam we've got The Picture of Dorian Gray and Yeats poetry.

Ah finally someone doing te same books, or was doing
I need a2 book
Reply 16
At AS, i did The Tempest, A Streetcar named Desire The Great Gatsby, Selected Poetry from Christina Rosetti's 'Goblin Market', At A2, i did Richard III, A Doll's House, The Grapes of Wrath, Paradise Lost

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending