The Student Room Group

Urgent Government and Politics Edexcel AS revision notes needed for UNIT 1 and UNIT 2

My exams are approaching near the end of May and I am really going to step up my revision, I was just wondering if anyone has any revision notes for unit 1 and unit 2 that they can generously send to me or psot in this thread. Thanks in advance people :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yup, the student room have some gd resources and just look in your books and notes really :s
I am also having trouble revising for both unit 2 and i am resitting unit 1 as well so we r in the same boat. Any other help would be appreciated. [http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/smile.gif
Reply 2
Original post by exposure
My exams are approaching near the end of May and I am really going to step up my revision, I was just wondering if anyone has any revision notes for unit 1 and unit 2 that they can generously send to me or psot in this thread. Thanks in advance people :smile:

Send me a PM and I can send you a fantastic resource...You will most definately thank me:biggrin:
Reply 3
I've got my resources from when I sat it (got an A) they're mindmaps and they have everything you need to know on em. PM if you want them all.
Reply 4
This is all the revision i've done so far;

Define representative democracy;
Democracy originates from Ancient Greek times and the idea of ‘demo’ “The mob” and ‘Kratos’ meaning “power”. Lincoln defined democracy as ‘the government for the people, by the people, for the people’. Representative democracy is an indirect form democracy in which people choose someone else to make decision for them or on their behalf i.e. in the UK we elect a representative to represent us every 4-5 years. This is a popular control as it’s a form of public accountability, although it disadvantages smaller parties it ultimately allows unpopular politicians and governments to be removed.

Explain the main feature of the UK democratic system;

The UK is has a representative democratic system, it acts responsibility as it has a government within power to stand on behalf of the citizens. In which the government is elected by the people, this reinforces the fact that the power lies with the people on the terms of ‘one person, one vote’.

The first feature of the UK democratic system is there is universal suffrage; any citizens over the age of 18 are given the right to vote with a few exceptions. i.e. people in Prison although under the Human rights act 2010 prisoners may have the right to vote also.

Elections are free and fair in the UK no one is forced to vote for a particular party unlike in Kenya or Burma. There are secret ballots so no one knows the way you have voted this removes the result of any blackmail or bribery that may occur.

In addition, Britain is a liberal democracy as elections are competitive this means there are a range of parties for voters to choose from such as conservatives, green party, labour ect. Funded on the bases of the idea of one person; one vote; one value everyone must be able to vote and for their vote to be of equal value this ensures no one person can have more than one vote which was the case before 1948.

Another feature is the existence of pressure groups, this allows citizens to participate in and scrutinise/ check the government of the day, which also holds them accountable. This ensure the government represent the people effectively or will give the people the chance to remove them at the next election. i.e in 2010 we saw a change of government from Labour to Conservative Lib dem coalition.
Reply 5
Original post by idris
Send me a PM and I can send you a fantastic resource...You will most definately thank me:biggrin:

To all please PM me with your emails for the resource...been getting lots of PM but no email address...resource is too big to attach on this board...
Reply 6
Just a quick goodluck messsage to you guys who requested the resource...I hope it helps you as I believe its perfect for what we need!
I wont be replying to any futher requests as I really have to get on with my revision now.
Goodluck
Reply 7
Original post by idris
Just a quick goodluck messsage to you guys who requested the resource...I hope it helps you as I believe its perfect for what we need!
I wont be replying to any futher requests as I really have to get on with my revision now.
Goodluck

Youre really sweet thanks, althoug i send you my email address & not recieved anything just presume youve been busy. Good luck hope your hard work plays off x
Reply 8
sorry you did not send me your email
Reply 9
Original post by idris

Original post by idris

Hello, i read a post that you had really good revision sources politics edexcel units 1 and 2. do you think you could send them to me? it would be a really big help. if you send it to [email protected], thanks much appreciated
Original post by idris

I sent you a pm with an email but I didn't get the file, if you could send it to me that would be great
Reply 11
Doing the same exam in a matter of weeks myself! From what I've seen, i'd say expect the unexpected! Just done the mock from January this year and some ridiculous questions in there. How would wider use of referenda improve democracy? I only know current points!
Reply 12
Original post by idris
To all please PM me with your emails for the resource...been getting lots of PM but no email address...resource is too big to attach on this board...

hiya i dont know if it's too late to request but i would also like some revision notes if u can pls as i am finding very difficult to revise using mine

:smile: cheers
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by joshlittle
Doing the same exam in a matter of weeks myself! From what I've seen, i'd say expect the unexpected! Just done the mock from January this year and some ridiculous questions in there. How would wider use of referenda improve democracy? I only know current points!

That questions ok;
Purest form of democracy so
People more involved in politics and inbetween elections- Higher turn outs
Legitmacy; people make decisions concerning govt & system
politicans not representative enough issues such as legalisation of euthanasia
Enchance citizens awareness more politically aware; make constitutional decisions/ voting system May 2011 referendum

Then disavantages.

Its just the way they word the questions
Reply 14
Original post by idris
Goodluck

Oh no :frown: I really desperately need unit 1 resources! PMd you my e-mail, I'd love it if you could send them to me
Original post by idris

Original post by idris

Hey, would it be possible for you to send me a copy of your notes for UNT 2 Government and Politics? If yes, I shall give you my email! Thank you! :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Ghosia_Choudhry
Hey, would it be possible for you to send me a copy of your notes for UNT 2 Government and Politics? If yes, I shall give you my email! Thank you! :smile:

send me your email then!
Reply 17
Original post by Fofo
Oh no :frown: I really desperately need unit 1 resources! PMd you my e-mail, I'd love it if you could send them to me

did you send me your email
Reply 18
Original post by idris

can you send this resource to me please !
Reply 19
Idris,

Could you please also send me the resource, for both Units in Poltiics? Would be really appreciated, if it is not too much trouble. Will PM you with my email, if your get a chance to send it to me then please do!

Am currently doing Politics and am finding it quite tricky, although I do think Unit 1 is slightly easier than Unit 2 (even though Unit 1 has lower grade boundaries than Unit 2!)

Many thanks and good luck to everyone with their examinations this May/June!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending