The Student Room Group

Studio Ghibli Society - Discuss some of the most enchanting films ever made here!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
I can't get enough of Cecile Corbel's soundtrack for The Borrower Arrietty. Such beautiful music.
Reply 821
found this on the AP forums
Coroner Records is really proud to announce the upcoming release of a new album of extreme metal covers of Studio Ghibli songs entitled "Princess Ghibli".

The project called "Imaginary Flying Machines" (from the title of a short film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki, which is exclusively shown daily at the Ghibli Museum) puts together bands from Europe and Japan (Disarmonia Mundi, Blood Stain Child, Destrage, Living Corpse and Neroargento) that reinterpret 12 very famous songs taken from the films produced by Studio Ghibli, bringing the soundtracks that have made ??dream many fans of Miyazaki in a new musical dimension, more aggressive and faster, without ever losing the melody and the magical atmospheres typical of the original versions.

http://www.amazon.com/Princess-Ghibli/dp/B004VJJ9BW/
http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/Imaginary_Flying_Machines_Ghibli_Album_out_now.html

Urm yeah:lolwut:

That trailer was quite offputting but then I found the Laputa and mononoke ones which wernt too bad. :beard: didnt like ponyo :indiff:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by vin

http://www.uk-anime.net/newsitem/Imaginary_Flying_Machines_Ghibli_Album_out_now.html

That trailer was quite offputting but then I found the Laputa and mononoke ones which wernt too bad. :beard: didnt like ponyo :indiff:

AHAHAHAHAHA. XD

Totoro totoro~ :love: I should watch it again.
Reply 823
I love Umi ga kikoeru, but it's not in the poll. :<
Reply 824
Original post by Ilot
I love Umi ga kikoeru, but it's not in the poll. :<

Unfortunately, we are only permitted to add 16 entries to the poll, otherwise Ocean Waves would have certainly been added. :sadnod:
Reply 825
Original post by Aiko
Unfortunately, we are only permitted to add 16 entries to the poll, otherwise Ocean Waves would have certainly been added. :sadnod:

Aww, that's too bad!
I'll just vote for my second favourite then. :3

Edit: Seems like I'm the only one who's liked Tonari no Yamada-kun.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 826
I love Studio Ghibli films. My favourite is Princess Mononoke. I usually watch the dubbed ones because I usually watch them with my brother who can't read very well.
Original post by vin

Interesting....
Reply 828
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/160560 This guy made howls moving castle out of lego :teeth:
Reply 829
Hey, I'm really loving the ghibli movies at the moment and I have to say my favourite at the moment has to be either howl's moving castle, or else ponyo. I love those movies.

Did anyone hear about the studio ghibli game ni no kuni, and does anyone know if it is going to be localised???
Reply 830
Original post by bino756

Original post by bino756
Hey, I'm really loving the ghibli movies at the moment and I have to say my favourite at the moment has to be either howl's moving castle, or else ponyo. I love those movies.

Did anyone hear about the studio ghibli game ni no kuni, and does anyone know if it is going to be localised???

Id love to play it but Im not sure about any localisation:s-smilie: perhaps after the ps3 version is released :dontknow:
Read this on ANN, thought I'd share it as usual:

Ghibli's Arrietty to Have Different Dub Casts in U.S., U.K.

Arrietty, Hiromasa Yonebayashi and Studio Ghibli's film based on Mary Norton's British novel The Borrowers, will have different dub casts in the United States and the United Kingdom.

The British dub, which is due in theaters on July 29, will feature Saoirse Ronan (The Lovely Bones, Atonement) and Tom Holland (one of the boy actors who took the lead role in the stage musical version of Billy Elliott). The cast also includes Mark Strong (Green Lantern, Sherlock Holmes), Olivia Colman (Peep Show), Phyllida Law (The Time Machine), and Geraldine McEwan (Marple).

The American dub, meanwhile, will feature Bridgit Mendler (Wizards of Waverly Place) as Arrietty. The rest of the American cast includes Amy Poehler (Saturday Night Live, Parks and Recreation), Will Arnett (Arrested Development, Running Wilde), David Henrie (Wizards of Waverly Place), and Carol Burnett (The Carol Burnett Show). The film will open in American theaters on February 17, 2012.

As usual for a Ghibli film, Arrietty is being distributed in Britain by Optimum Releasing. However, this is the first Ghibli film to be released with different dub casts in the United Kingdom and the United States. (Two Ghibli projects Ocean Waves and Only Yesterday were released on DVD in the United Kingdom but not in the United States, but both releases had English subtitles only.)

Ghibli co-founder Hayao Miyazaki supervised and wrote the film, which updates the 1952 novel by moving the story to a modern Tokyo suburb. The story follows the "little people" who live under the floorboards of a regular human family.

I know the English dubs for Ghibli films are usually pretty good, but the thought of having a UK English dub is even better! Having said that, I'll almost certainly watch it in Japanese. :p:

*is resisting the urge to download one of the many fansubs that have shown up over the past few weeks, with the UK release not being far off*
Reply 833
I keep forgetting that many haven't seen Arrietty yet. It's a wonderful film and shouldn't disappoint. :smile:
From ANN:

Producer: Hayao Miyazaki's New Work to Be Autobiography

Studio Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki reported on Wednesday that the new work of studio founder and Academy Award-winning animator Hayao Miyazaki is an autobiography. However, Suzuki did not specify if the work is Miyazaki's own autobiography, or an adaptation of another person's autobiography.

Suzuki spoke before a crowd of 200 at a "Hanashi o Suru Futari" discussion event with actress Tomoko Yamaguchi at the Museum of Contemporary Art at Tokyo. Yamaguchi played Risa in Miyazaki's last film, Ponyo, and the museum is hosting an exhibition for the works of Canadian animator Frédéric Back in collaboration with Ghibli.

Ghibli told the Cinema Today website that the studio's staff was also surprised by Suzuki's sudden announcement, but added that at this time, the studio cannot announce anything more than what Suzuki had said at the event.

Miyazaki had already revealed during a March 28 press conference for the theme song for his son's latest film, Kokuriko-Zaka Kara, that he was preparing his next work, even though it was not ready to be announced.
Reply 836
Actually, I've decided to keep my question. Why is there no mention of The Lost Unicorn or Thundercats, even as honorable mentions? :hmmm:
Ive just seen this society pop up on my phone but Im going out soon, so this post is just to sub :tongue: though how Porco Rosso only has 3 votes Ill never know :colonhash:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 838
Original post by Hylean

Original post by Hylean
Actually, I've decided to keep my question. Why is there no mention of The Lost Unicorn or Thundercats, even as honorable mentions? :hmmm:

I dont know about the lost unicorn but thundercats isnt ghibli :erm:
Reply 839
Original post by vin
I dont know about the lost unicorn but thundercats isnt ghibli :erm:

"Produced in 1983 by Rankin/Bass, with animation by Topcraft (a company later to become Studio Ghibli). Four series were produced, comprising 130 episodes, as well as a feature length TV movie named "ThunderCats - HO!" in 1986."

If Nausicaä is included, why aren't the other pre-Ghibli movies and stuff done by Topcraft?

In fairness, though, I only know this because the unicorns in Thundercats are the exact same in The Last Unicorn.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest