The Student Room Group

Extra time in the GCSE exam

Hi
today i did a test in my school it was to find out if i needed extra time in my GCSE exams.
my schools lost my year 7 to 9 record hence they don't know my progression form 7 to 9
so to be save they just put my name down that i might need extra time.

i am completely fine i got an A* in statistic and Chemistry and i am one of the brightest in my class
and yet they think i got learning difficulty. they offered my extra time in my exam

the problem is i want the extra time ( who wouldn't if you got it for free )
but i don't want to get my results and it says he had 25% extra time and that's why he got the A*

i don't want my college to know how i got that A* or an A.
so if i take the extra time will that be on my record.

please help me :~(
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mayankmehta
This isn't likely to be on your results slip. However your college will need to know that you require extra time, in order for you to receive extra time in subsequent examinations at college and university.
Reply 2
You know you don't need it. Stop being dishonest. No it will not say that on your certificate but it will probably make you feel guilty.
Reply 3
It won't get carried forward in the form of your exam certs, but if you need the extra time, take it.

It will not be told to college, unless they ask or you tell them, which you may want to do so you get help that you may need next year. Needing extra time in exams is not as negative as it seems. I have a friend who is dyslexic, so got 25% extra time in exams, even though she was an A* student (ended up with all A* and A grades).

Having extra time will not get you an A* if you do not already have the capability.
Extra time won't ness. boost your grades! You need the knowledge there in the first place! I get rest breaks as I have mobility issues/joint condition, and cannot write for more than twenty minutes straight without needing to stop! (Not good in a two hour essay exam!) but this means that I can just sit and relax. It will make no difference to my grade as such, just that I get the grade I deserve and am capable of rather than having my condition affect my result

As you said, you are getting A*s and As at GCSE... to be honest I would say not to take the extra time- it doesn't look like whatever supposed learning difficulty you have is affecting your grades so why use it? You will only feel guilty after...
Reply 5
Original post by mayankmehta
Hi
today i did a test in my school it was to find out if i needed extra time in my GCSE exams.
my schools lost my year 7 to 9 record hence they don't know my progression form 7 to 9
so to be save they just put my name down that i might need extra time.

i am completely fine i got an A* in statistic and Chemistry and i am one of the brightest in my class
and yet they think i got learning difficulty. they offered my extra time in my exam

the problem is i want the extra time ( who wouldn't if you got it for free )
but i don't want to get my results and it says he had 25% extra time and that's why he got the A*

please help me :~(

Extra time won't be on your record at all. Go for it if you need it :smile:
It annoyed me when people got extra time in exams, especially when they boasted about not needing it. In my higher history paper last year if I had say, 10 more minutes I probably would have got my B up to an A because I had to miss out the conclusion. I had to bullet point things because I ran out of time. So no, I don't see why people who don't need it should get it. I heard of people pretending to be dyslexic in order to get it. Nae impressed.

Quick Reply

Latest