The Student Room Group

Parents won't let me give them money

Scroll to see replies

Original post by plastercaster
I can totally see why a grown couple wouldn't want financial assistance from a (presumed) teenager- if they're on top of mortgage and utilities then it's probably best just to save it and make them happy by showing gratitude and doing as well as possible at your studies.

I'd say this, after what you replied in my quote :smile: The best thing you can possibly do is be grateful for what they've contributed for you and make the most of it. They would obviously rather see a son that works hard and saves for his future, than one who pisses his money away and then comes crawling back for help.

Original post by Cocklebur
You sound like a sweetie-pie.

Vomit. lol :tongue:
Put money in their wallets/purses when they're not looking, just like a fiver. Small enough so they won't suspect it was added in!
Original post by BigBonsaiGuy

But I don't spend it on myself, it just sits in a bank. :frown:

Spending money is a topic upon which I can offer many more suggestions.:smile:

Learn to drive, buy a car, pay off student loans, travel, save up for a down-payment on a house for when you move out, get a partner (if you do not already have one) - that would certainly help to minimise your assets:smile:...
Original post by shorty.loves.angels

Vomit. lol :tongue:

I'm sorry.:redface:
Reply 24
Original post by Cocklebur
Spending money is a topic upon which I can offer many more suggestions.:smile:

Learn to drive, buy a car, pay off student loans, travel, save up for a down-payment on a house for when you move out, get a partner (if you do not already have one) - that would certainly help to minimise your assets:smile:...

Are you really suggesting a mail-order bride? :lolwut:

Spoiler

Reply 25
OP sounds like such a nice guy. :colondollar:
Are you really suggesting a mail-order bride? :lolwut:

Spoiler

If that's your method of finding women, then, maybe...?:wink:
Reply 27
Original post by linkdapink
Put money in their wallets/purses when they're not looking, just like a fiver. Small enough so they won't suspect it was added in!

I have done that. It worked for a while, then they did notice. :frown:
I have done that. It worked for a while, then they did notice. :frown:

Dammit! I thought it would be fool proof!

OK, new plan.

Buy things and insist they're for you, but say they can borrow them instead? They might see through the plan if you buy a new iron and ironing board or something similar, but if you bought something like a new TV for your room complain about how the picture is rubbish on the TV downstairs and offer to swap as long as you can have the old one? I know they'll see through that plan.

You're parents are tricky to fool into accepting money. I'll think about it long and hard.
Reply 29
Get them insanely expensive Birthday and Christmas presents. Also mothers/fathers day gifts of ludicrous prices. This could satisfy your generosity, whilst keeping their pride...

Hope this is vaguely applicable (if their birthdays have already been this year, then I'm not sure what you could do for the time being...)

Also, is the money you get a Loan or a grant? If it is a loan (and you have a lot too much), surely you could not take it/all of it out next year, to save yourself some debt in the future? :biggrin:
Reply 30
You're living off student loans. Wait untill you have a well paid job and you can give them money then.
:ninja: - You

v

:bl: - You travelling to your parents house

v

v

Leave following at door, complete with note merely saying "thank you [insert parents surnames]"

v

Run away into the night before they open the door, never to be seen again :colone:

v

Problem solved :yep:
Reply 32
Try to see it from their point of view- they don't want you to feel like you have to support them, they believe it's their responsibility to support you. By giving them money, or by try to do so, it probably makes them feel guilty- it's the parents responsibility to look after you and *provide*, rather than the child's. You have good intentions. The only way around it that I can think of, is if you buy something (say a new toaster or whatever) don't make it seem like it's for them, just say "oh I've wanted this for a long time/ I really like it/etc". Try to give the illusion that you're doing it for you, when you're really doing it for them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending