The Student Room Group

Wage rates of Sainsbury's/Tesco/Asda

I'm 17 , What wage do you think I will receive from any of these....and which one do you think would be the best supermarket to work in from any of the above?

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

I used to work at sainsburys, i got 4.83 an hour but i HATED IT!! but this was mainly because my boss was made out of evil and hatred, so it would probably be ok for you.

although, their maximum contract is 12 hours a week, and on top of that they dump a lot of overtime on you which really got in the way of my exams, which was one of the main reasons i quit.

I work at matalan now and get a penny less an hour haha, but it's a price worth paying cos it's reasonable hours for someone as busy as me and the people that work there are actually my age instead of 60.

i know quite a few people that work at asda and they all seem to enjoy it :smile:
As little as they can legally pay you.

To be honest.
Reply 3
Waitrose ftw.
Reply 4
I'm 17 at Tesco and for me its 5.90/hour base pay
Reply 5
Tesco generally pays higher than the other two.
Norfolkadam
As little as they can legally pay you.

To be honest.

Yeeah, I wouldn't really recommend a supermarket.
Reply 7
I work at sainsburys and I'm on 6.23 an hour.. But I think it was 4.85 or something before I turned 18 :smile:
and about the forcing overtime on you thing...it's easy enough to just say no...and if I tell them I'm busy with school they don't even offer me it
My managers etc are all quite nice but I spose it changes from store to store :smile:
Sainsburies is 4.97 for under 18's.

I have a 10 hour contract and know a few other people with only 10 hours, my mate had 8 untill he left in the summer.

As for overtime they "just say no". I told my boss i have exams and its fine.

However beggers cant be choosers ild apply for every job goin because to be frank you probaly wont get a job at the moment as is the wrong time of year, so take whatever you can get job wise.
Reply 9
dukeofgrove
Sainsburies is 4.97 for under 18's.

I have a 10 hour contract and know a few other people with only 10 hours, my mate had 8 untill he left in the summer.

As for overtime they "just say no". I told my boss i have exams and its fine.

However beggers cant be choosers ild apply for every job goin because to be frank you probaly wont get a job at the moment as is the wrong time of year, so take whatever you can get job wise.

I'm thinking of applying soon to work in june/july isn't that a reasonable time of the year?
but yeah the pay is pretty decent for under 18 :smile:
Reply 10
Hiddink4LFC
I'm 17 at Tesco and for me its 5.90/hour base pay

I gotta say ,that is really good under 18 aswell :smile:
Saifoo8
I'm thinking of applying soon to work in june/july isn't that a reasonable time of the year?
but yeah the pay is pretty decent for under 18 :smile:

TBF apply asap to everywhere you can its quite hard to get a job anywhere. However there will be more part time jobs at end of summer as students leave to go to uni etc.
Saifoo8
I gotta say ,that is really good under 18 aswell :smile:

yeah, gotta say despite the petty gripes I have about my job, Tesco are actually a top class employer for someone young!
Can you direct me to the poultry areas young man?
Reply 14
When I started in Sainsbury's 3 years ago I was on £5.82 an hour. Whenever I go back in holidays now its around £6.50 an hour. Plenty of overtime too.
Reply 15
i work at asda at the moment and my rate is £6.51 i think. im not sure if its lower up north
Reply 16
Kiln lane Epsom store is the best, loads of young people and GREAT training and loads of opportunities for overtime, I get 6.70ph and work 12 hours a week, it goes really well with my school work as well x
Try and get on the pharmacy counter, i'm 17 and on £7.52 after some training :smile:

Edit: In tesco
Original post by mazzafakka
i work at asda at the moment and my rate is £6.51 i think. im not sure if its lower up north

Yes, we get paid in ferrets and coal. When we're not working down the pits of course.
Reply 19
why dont't i ever see a vacancy in tesco? i have been checking the online tesco careers section for ages and they never have any position available in glasgow. is there some other way of applying?

Quick Reply

Latest