The Student Room Group

TSR Iraqi Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by infernalcradle
how so?

Like meeting up, that sort of thing. Communication over phone/internet can only get you so far, I think face-to-face meeting is important.
I am leader of the American Thread.
I am going to invade your thread and occupy it for many years.
:colone:
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
Like meeting up, that sort of thing. Communication over phone/internet can only get you so far, I think face-to-face meeting is important.

fair enough....a few guys I know though actually go back for several months with the sole purpose of "finding" a wife....

although I'm curious how you do so when you don't know anyone well enough to even consider going down that path with them???
Original post by thewiseone
I am leader of the American Thread.
I am going to invade your thread and occupy it for many years.
:colone:

but we don't have any oil.....
but we don't have any oil.....

who said I was here for the oil?
I certainly never did.
I am here to find your hidden WMDs and help establish a new government.
:cool:
(edited 12 years ago)

i've generally noticed though, there is almost an awkwardness with the interaction between guys/girls here of the iraqi descent, it seems almost as if the fact that you're always segregated has affected you all (who would have guessed splitting you up into separate rooms would cause that huh?)

any comments? :biggrin:

if thats what the girl is like....she wouldn't be a freshie.....and unfortunately I do know a few girls who are "freshies"....so they do exist

but yes....agree that the guys are like that....

a freshie is someone who has 'newly' arrived. there's going to be the village girl who never went to school, but the majority are educated and independent, i'm not sure where you have heard this propaganda from, and most importantly, why :wink:
fair enough....a few guys I know though actually go back for several months with the sole purpose of "finding" a wife....

although I'm curious how you do so when you don't know anyone well enough to even consider going down that path with them???

I guess you haven't been through the process yet because you're still some time away from marriage.

Basically,you have to rely on family contacts then just go to her house, sit down and talk for an hour or so, then decide if you want to have more meetings.

It's basically like interviewing.
Original post by scherezade
i've generally noticed though, there is almost an awkwardness with the interaction between guys/girls here of the iraqi descent, it seems almost as if the fact that you're always segregated has affected you all (who would have guessed splitting you up into separate rooms would cause that huh?)

any comments? :biggrin:

I've been through it a few times, the girls are remarkably relaxed and confident. Context is key I think - if they know why you are talking to them, they are not as...well, hostile.
Reply 968
I certainly never did.
I am only here to help establish a new government.

LOL Good luck buddy. Let me know it goes.
Reply 969
I guess you haven't been through the process yet because you're still some time away from marriage.

Basically,you have to rely on family contacts then just go to her house, sit down and talk for an hour or so, then decide if you want to have more meetings.

It's basically like interviewing.

....Yup, for a full time job.
Original post by neuro101
....Yup, for a full time job.

Or a full time employee :wink:
Reply 971
Yumma, 3balee u guys would have given up and started revising by now.....

And as this marriage scenario sounds too repetitive. We don't want to be proactive, and then as soon as we near 30, we start becoming all fearful.
And as for the guys, same goes for them.
The fault is our traditions partly, not to mention the fact that women see marriage as enslavement and guys see marriage as a love story.

We all deny part of the inevitable truth, is that our parents are going to undoubtedly interfer, our emotions are not going to be all lovey dovey, but lukewarm, and that in the end, we're just going to be thankful we're not the bachelor/bachelorette that everyone pities at parties.

yeah...exams bring out my dark side.

Habibiti, go study, imbein ta'bana. Ka'fee sheebena. : )
I certainly never did.
I am here to find your hidden WMDs and help establish a new government.

The new government will however, not be new, but old.

Original post by neuro101
Habibiti, go study, imbein ta'bana. Ka'fee sheebena. : )

la balla, daget roo7ee, WMD style.

Plus, if i'm revising, i demand that you all stop having fun, and go revise too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 973
I was reading the last few posts and thinking- the problems and issues you face with marriage? It's very similar to our culture. My grandparents originate from India, but my parents are from Africa... I have a few Iraqi friends also, and I find so many similarities between our cultures...
It's very interesting!
Reply 974
Original post by malaikah
I was reading the last few posts and thinking- the problems and issues you face with marriage? It's very similar to our culture. My grandparents originate from India, but my parents are from Africa... I have a few Iraqi friends also, and I find so many similarities between our cultures...
It's very interesting!

How so?
What's with this attitude towards Iraqi raised Iraqis?
Reply 976
Or a full time employee :wink:

The pay better be good + benefits.
Original post by Tzarchasm

The community. They probably bad mouth the 'backward mentality' and kids pick it up.
Reply 978
Original post by Tzarchasm

They grow up in a completely different enviroment than us. Not that that's a bad thing but wallah brosef my arab isn't that great and I don't pray 5 times a day.

But I should admit, two of my nieces married iraqi iraqis and both couples are very happy
Reply 979
well done for sticking to your guns and not just saying yes to the first guy (or to Tzarchasm) and ending up in a marriage you don't want....

maybe talk it through with your parents and try to get them to understand that you are not ready???

My mom is cool with this, she's not pressuring, it's the dear dad. My mom is doing a good job of avoiding this topic as best as she can.

The new government will however, not be new, but old.

la balla, daget roo7ee, WMD style.

Plus, if i'm revising, i demand that you all stop having fun, and go revise too.

I'm on a different system, so I still have midterm exams, but my final exams aren't until a few more weeks. I can afford to procrastinate, just a little bit.

Anyway, I didn't intend for this topic to be about marriage. I was just curious about family back home asking if you are ever coming back home. Sorry for the distraction.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending