The Student Room Group

Unite student accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Just wanted to add my thoughts on Unite for those considering them next year. I'm in Phoenix Court in Bristol.

To get the bad stuff out of the way first, people are noisy. People are not considerate in the corridor so it's pretty normal for me to wake up at 3am to the noise of people shouting as they get home from a night out. Also, sometimes I can hear the person in the flat above mine walking around - sounds like an elephant! The shower had bad pressure for the first two months or so until they fixed it (it's great now). The fire alarm is WAY too sensitive - I can't use the grill or I would set it off. Toaster is just about ok when I turn the extractor fan on full. I've also had experiences of staff leaving early at the end of the day so when I get home and want to pick up post I can't, which can be particularly annoying on a Friday because then you can't get it 'til the Monday. The bin room downstairs had a sign up on it recently telling people to put bags IN the bins because there had been rats spotted - I didn't see any but I'll take their word for it! That sounds like a lot... but it's not anything that has really been a major problem. The noise is the main thing and I guess that differs from building to building depending on who lives there, I was just unlucky.

On to the GOOD stuff. The flat is in a brilliant location - it's a 1 minute walk to Cabot Circus/Sainsbury's Local. I haven't had any problems with the internet (and contrary to others I've found it quite fast) or electrical appliances. Having all the utilities included is really convenient. I've found the staff here very friendly - I consciously made an effort with them from the start and they are great - always answer any questions I have and are polite. Again, I've heard different from others but my experience has been good. Also, I've been late with a rent payment twice and both times the staff on the phone have been very reasonable - not patronising at all. They basically said, pay what you can when you can. Lastly, they let you book your flat for the summer for just £399 - which is amazing.
Quick question:

Are all the flats single sex or can you live somewhere mixed?

Also,

Can you live there in the holidays?
I find it redic you can't get your deposit back after 14 days of booking it, WTF. what if you don't achieve the grades for uni?
Is there any way of retrieving the £250 back in any way at all? (After the 14 days from the conformation email has passed)
Reply 83
I've lived in UNITE Woodland Court in Islington, It is crap.

Ive had to call the police numerous times, lift has been out of service for 4 weeks now. living on the top floor, its stressful and not worth the £220+ a week I pay.

I'm working to get at least half of my money back for pathetic excuse for accommodation. -.-
Reply 84
£220 a week? That's crazy money!
Reply 85
Hey Guys, have been wondering if there is anyone out there who have received money back from unite for any problems with their room/building causing an inconvenience, and if so what the problems where?

I live on the top floor of the building, and the lift was out of order for 10 weeks. I study photography, and take a studio lighting kit home with me twice a week, which in essence is 2 large very heavy suitcases up 5 flights of stairs. There is then my wracking my washing down once a week, suitcases for going home once on the weekend ect.

My radiator hasn't worked since I moved in, which tbh hasn't really bothered me, especially in weather like we have now, unfortunately this hasn't always been the case. Over Christmas I stayed bar 4 days at home due to working on weekends, so when it was just me in the flat it was freezing, so cold that I had to sleep in jeans and a hoody for a week.....i wish I was joking.

Wen untold the helpful staff down stairs about my radiator, they helpfully told me it would need to be logged online, which brings me on to my final problem, my Internet. My internet didn't work for the first 2 weeks of moving in, and couldn't be reported as there is no way to log it online, if I can't get online. It eventually got fixed, kind of. It had been extremely temperamental all year until the last 2 weeks and it now refusing to work at all. It was reported straight away and has not yet been resolved. My uni work requires a lot of online research and online submissions for my assignment. My final submission for this year which accounts for 50% of my overall grade for this year is tomorrow, and i could easily miss it.

My rent is £125 a week, for a 48 week contract, which is a staggering £6000 a year, which my loan falls well short of, I work all day on both of my days off from uni to make up what I'm short, so need every minute I can get on my computer to catch up on my work. So has anyone had any experience complaining to unite? And know how to go about it? Thanks if you managed to read all that, ps this was posted from my phone do apologies for any incorrect spelling from my fat fingers.
Reply 86
Hey,

I am moving to The Heights in Birmingham September 2012

Was this a good move? Anyone moving there or have move there please voice opinions! I have read so many mixed reviews! x
I have booked a room at Mealmarket Exchange, Aberdeen for the next academic year. Has anyone lived there before? Any comments about this hall?
I hope the elevator won't go off, as I will have to go 7 floors on stairs :/
Reply 88
Original post by giorgio7788
I have booked a room at Mealmarket Exchange, Aberdeen for the next academic year. Has anyone lived there before? Any comments about this hall?
I hope the elevator won't go off, as I will have to go 7 floors on stairs :/

I'd say Mealmarket is the best halls in Aberdeen (Though those expensive Ardmuir properties are on a par with it from what I've heard). Lived here for a year so far, lift hasn't broken once.

They're a little slow on repairs (took 4 days to fix a broken cooker), but everything else is fine. Staff are friendly and on the most part know what they're doing (newer hired ones are slightly less knowledgeable; but if you ever have a problem getting something done talk to Genevieve)
Thanks!! Are you staying this year too? I have seen Ardmuir properties but they are not ensuite, i need my own bathroom!!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000
Reply 90
Original post by giorgio7788
Thanks!! Are you staying this year too? I have seen Ardmuir properties but they are not ensuite, i need my own bathroom!!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000

Yeah, rebooked the same room. The ensuite is definitely a plus.
Reply 91
Moving into Curzon Gateway in Birmingham City. I'm going to Birmingham City university, so halls is very close to the university. Also I'll save money on transportation.

Firstly, I'd like to know anyone's opinions on this accommodation, been there before? what was it like? etc
Original post by Sophie117
Hey,

I am moving to The Heights in Birmingham September 2012

Was this a good move? Anyone moving there or have move there please voice opinions! I have read so many mixed reviews! x

Hey Sophie !

I am also moving to The Heights in Birmingham this Sept. :smile:

Which block ?
Reply 93
Is anyone going to North Logde - London?

I would like to know who my flatmates are :smile:
Reply 94
[INDENT] hi,

i want to ask you about your experience with unite, i moved out before two month my contract is expired. i am student from abroad. so, now the debt collection agency sending me letter and messages on mail to pay debt outstanding or they will go to legal way judgements etc may be you can advice me something, i have no idea how to act, and of course dont want to pay because i moved out before)) also they took my deposit, my rent of flat was 1900£ but conditions and staff there was terrible.. please respond me. i am need someone who got the same situation.. [/INDENT]
Original post by alina777
[INDENT] hi,

i want to ask you about your experience with unite, i moved out before two month my contract is expired. i am student from abroad. so, now the debt collection agency sending me letter and messages on mail to pay debt outstanding or they will go to legal way judgements etc may be you can advice me something, i have no idea how to act, and of course dont want to pay because i moved out before)) also they took my deposit, my rent of flat was 1900£ but conditions and staff there was terrible.. please respond me. i am need someone who got the same situation.. [/INDENT]

Hi alina777,

My names Frankie, I work for UNITE.

I’m here to give help and advice to TSR users about UNITE accommodation.

I noticed your post and thought a response might be helpful.

I’m sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your time with UNITE. That certainly isn’t our intention!

We try our best to provide the best accommodation we can by investing in our buildings and listening to and acting upon what our customers tell us, hence why I’m on TSR to help!!

I’d advise you to call the agency as soon as you can to discuss your situation (their number should be on the letters they’ve sent you).

If you are in financial difficulty they will talk through your options with you and give you a clear breakdown of costs.

Speaking to them will mean they can help you manage any charges or legal action whilst the situation is resolved, and they will also be able to refer back to us if there are any disputes over the outstanding balance.

I hope this helps,

Frankie
Reply 96
Hey, guys! Im going to Pacific Court London:smile:. Want to get some information about it!! ~_~
Anyone got any reviews on Stratford One?
MY daughter has learing difificluty and couldnt manage to live there longer than two months before she had a breakdown . i had to search to find her out in the streets at 1 am and oncei heard she wasfeeling suicidal , i had to bring her home. She has social workers that back her at home and now shes being pursued by unite for £700 a month ... no one wants to take over her room, I want to know if a stident has a learning difficiulty and cant cope, she became suicidal , if the contract can be cancelled ?
if you wont to change i am leaving london i have a beatiful contract with iq student in aldgate i can transfer my contract to you but quickly because i ned to go to portsmouth if you are interested in it give me your telephone nunmber i calkl you back . i am writing on behalf of my doughter .

Quick Reply

Latest