The Student Room Group

GCSE WJEC English Langauge Paper 1 Exam 16th May

Hi, im really confused on the narrative writing section of the exam in section B. Im not sure about which plots i should use so is there any good plot ideas that people could give me?

Also is there anywhere where i can read some examples of short stories, which are exam quality type?

Last of all i want to try and remember some stories for the exam so that i wont spend lots of time trying to think of one, for example a story about a good time and a bad time. Any other ideas of types of stories i should remeber for the upcoming exam which would fit into one of the choices they give me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Our teacher said to think and write about one positive personal experience, and one negative personal experience, and when in the exam just try and twist one of them to fit an option.
Reply 2
Hey everyone, so the exam is tomorrow ! :frown: Is everyone ready ? What last minuite revision are you doing today ? I'm so worried for section B what about you?
Reply 3
Original post by steff11
Hey everyone, so the exam is tomorrow ! :frown: Is everyone ready ? What last minuite revision are you doing today ? I'm so worried for section B what about you?

I'm more worried about section A, all of the teachers are telling us to do different things. Some say 10 brief points, some say 5 developed and some say 3/4 really developed points. Any suggestions, what has your teacher told you???
Reply 4
Original post by xxZazxx
I'm more worried about section A, all of the teachers are telling us to do different things. Some say 10 brief points, some say 5 developed and some say 3/4 really developed points. Any suggestions, what has your teacher told you???

See, that's something our teacher fails to make clear to us too. She sometimes tells us to write around 10 points, however, I bought a WJEC English textbook off of Amazon, and it tells you that for 10 point questions, if you are aiming for A/A*, then you will have to make a detailed response using as many points as you can. It will probably end up being about 5 though, as the detail should be thorough. If you give an answer giving just 10 points with no backing up evidence or explanation, the overall answer is not fluent and not worthy of anything more than a C/B grade. Remember, as it is language, the examiners want to know that you can write well and pick out useful information well, so just ensure you have a good answer with all the amplification required for the 'higher end' marks.
Reply 5
Original post by Alimbo95
See, that's something our teacher fails to make clear to us too. She sometimes tells us to write around 10 points, however, I bought a WJEC English textbook off of Amazon, and it tells you that for 10 point questions, if you are aiming for A/A*, then you will have to make a detailed response using as many points as you can. It will probably end up being about 5 though, as the detail should be thorough. If you give an answer giving just 10 points with no backing up evidence or explanation, the overall answer is not fluent and not worthy of anything more than a C/B grade. Remember, as it is language, the examiners want to know that you can write well and pick out useful information well, so just ensure you have a good answer with all the amplification required for the 'higher end' marks.

Yeah, I'll probably aim for 5 paragraphs with a couple of quotes in each that are clearly explained
Reply 6
Original post by xxZazxx
Yeah, I'll probably aim for 5 paragraphs with a couple of quotes in each that are clearly explained

Thankls by the way, best answer i
I've come across yet. :smile:
i did this exam in November and i planned out a short story which was about a ship wreck and two survivors trying to get to land and flashbacks from what happened.
Actually i memorised it and luckily it fit perfectly into a title :biggrin:

and our teachers said that WJEC look for quantity rather than depth analysis.
Reply 8
Original post by xxZazxx
Thankls by the way, best answer i
I've come across yet. :smile:

Ah no probs :smile: Because this is WJEC's last 'legacy' paper that they will do, I'm just hoping that they will make it a nice and easy one :crossedf:
I'm going to be really stuck on the narrative. I got a C on the actual paper last time round but my coursework pulled it up to an A. I need 5 more marks on each paper to get a B and overall an A*. The narrative will be impossible for me as I haven't thought of an actual story I can try and fit things to and the question one I always run out of time.
Reply 10
Original post by acceptingme
I'm going to be really stuck on the narrative. I got a C on the actual paper last time round but my coursework pulled it up to an A. I need 5 more marks on each paper to get a B and overall an A*. The narrative will be impossible for me as I haven't thought of an actual story I can try and fit things to and the question one I always run out of time.

Don't worry it's not too late. Just think of 5 interesting and adaptable stories, you don't have to write them just plan them e.g. in paragraph 1 will be based on. That's what i'll be spending my afternoon doing, in the mocks I just thought of some stupid story on the spot lol and I got 17/20 so don't worry. Lots of figurative language and interesting adjectives and you'll be fine.
Original post by xxZazxx
Don't worry it's not too late. Just think of 5 interesting and adaptable stories, you don't have to write them just plan them e.g. in paragraph 1 will be based on. That's what i'll be spending my afternoon doing, in the mocks I just thought of some stupid story on the spot lol and I got 17/20 so don't worry. Lots of figurative language and interesting adjectives and you'll be fine.

Thanks! I only need 5 more marks on each paper so I think I'll manage. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Diven001
Hi, im really confused on the narrative writing section of the exam in section B. Im not sure about which plots i should use so is there any good plot ideas that people could give me?

Also is there anywhere where i can read some examples of short stories, which are exam quality type?

Last of all i want to try and remember some stories for the exam so that i wont spend lots of time trying to think of one, for example a story about a good time and a bad time. Any other ideas of types of stories i should remeber for the upcoming exam which would fit into one of the choices they give me?

The examiner that members of my class went to see (the one that actually chose the texts and stuff for our paper) told us that you should never remember your own story. You'll only get worked up and try to change the title just so you can write your own story. If one of the titles is'write about a time when you visited family' then you have to write a story about visiting family. Don't push it as examiners will dock a lot of marks.
I the mocks I haven't been doing very well at all, I am doing foundation tomoz, how much should I write on each question for section A.

I just hope I can get a C :smile:

SWINEFLU1995
uuurrrghhhh mark scheme or eaminers report for nov 2009 higher tier paper

WHY is WJEC so unreliable???
Why can i not access or find anything on this paper

???

alll the other boards are so caring...
they have free access to all the answers

WHY did they do this to us???
Reply 15
They want us to fail :'(
Original post by Alimbo95
They want us to fail :'(

It is the last year there doing this style of paper so they will either be easy on us, or rather mean...:angry:
Reply 17
Original post by SWINEFLU1995
It is the last year there doing this style of paper so they will either be easy on us, or rather mean...:angry:

Yhh, I know. Hopefully they will be nice. :danceboy:
Reply 18
Original post by fabstar_786
uuurrrghhhh mark scheme or eaminers report for nov 2009 higher tier paper

WHY is WJEC so unreliable???
Why can i not access or find anything on this paper

???

alll the other boards are so caring...
they have free access to all the answers

WHY did they do this to us???

darn WJEC board, yh I was looking for the nov 2009 examiner report but couldn't find it. Arrghh
how did everyone think it went????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending