The Student Room Group

Oxford Psychology, Philosophy and Linguistics (PPL) Students and Applicants

I was browsing Oxford courses, and I saw this gem! It sounds quite exciting, and as someone who wants to go into Psychology, I'd love to hear more about it...

So far there hasn't been any more information on the site, I think, so does anyone else have anything to add? Speculation? Hmm.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by punctuation
I was browsing Oxford courses, and I saw this gem! It sounds quite exciting, and as someone who wants to go into Psychology, I'd love to hear more about it...

So far there hasn't been any more information on the site, I think, so does anyone else have anything to add? Speculation? Hmm.

It's a course which is so new it hasn't even been properly confirmed yet that it will actually be offered next year. I think if you want to know more about it, the only thing you can do is wait and then get in touch with the department(s) directly for more information, because no-one here will be able to tell you anything about it.
I wonder why, after their having been pretty well the same for ages, Oxford is suddenly gingering up its course offerings. This one, computing and philosophy, and biomedical sciences, all brand new offerings. And in the last two or three years, PPP->P&P, History & Politics, Arch & Anth...
Reply 3
Probably because all their courses are oversubscribed and they want to divide off the applicants? That, or they want their students to have more 'unique' degrees.
Perhaps. I wonder as well about the extent to which recruitment suffers from the prix-fixe approach while so many competitors offer a la carte modular degrees that allow for pretty well any combination of subjects. A person can study 'philosophy and modern languages', but not 'politics and modern languages', for example.
oxford doesn't exactly suffer from not having enough applicants.
anyway, which other subjects were you talking about being new and exciting other than this, philcomp, and biomed - arch&anth and h&p have both been around for ages, and in practice ppp hasn't actually changed - just some of the language surrounding it.
Reply 6
Why was I negged two months after my post? Anyone care to explain?

Anyway, I suppose I could update: was told by Oxford admissions tutor (or someone) that it would be unlikely for this course to be offered for 2012 entry. This is because it has yet to be ratified or formally agreed upon by the university.
Reply 7
Anyway, I suppose I could update: was told by Oxford admissions tutor (or someone) that it would be unlikely for this course to be offered for 2012 entry. This is because it has yet to be ratified or formally agreed upon by the university.

I also wanted to recommend this to a friend but I discovered they had the following on their website:

This subject combination has been advertised in the current Undergraduate Prospectus as a possible new course. However, please note that this course will NOT be available for entry in 2012. Discussions about entry in 2013 are continuing, however, it seems likely that there will be three separate courses rather than one:

Psychology and Philosophy (this combination is already available)
Psychology and Linguistics
Linguistics and Philosophy

Oh well. ):
Reply 8
found this in the psychology part of their website

PPL Course

β€” filed under: admissions
*NEW COURSE FOR 2013* There are close connections between the three subjects of Psychology, Philosophy and Linguistics, so studying them together makes a lot of sense.....

Psychology, Philosophy & Linguistics
You can apply to study any pair of the three subjects:

BA in Psychology & Philosophy (CV85)
BA in Psychology & Linguistics (CQ81)
BA in Philosophy & Linguistics (QV15)
It is possible to study all three, with college approval, once you have commenced your studies with us.

http://www.psy.ox.ac.uk/undergrad/ppl-course
Reply 9
There is supposedly a new philosophy and linguistics course possibly starting in 2013 at Oxford, does anyone know whether this course will go ahead or not? Or is anyone interested?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 10
Original post by timmy5
There is supposedly a new philosophy and linguistics course possibly starting in 2013 at Oxford, does anyone know whether this course will go ahead or not? Or is anyone interested?

Thanks in advance!

Linguistics and Philosophy is one of the options within the Psych, Phil and Ling (PPL) course with first intake in 2013. The course is outlined on the University site at http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/psychology_philosophy_and_linguistics/psychology.html

I'm pretty sure it's going ahead.
Original post by timmy5

Thanks in advance!

Bit more info here on the EP website:

Looks like it is going ahead as 3 separate course, although you can study all three disciplines when you get to Oxford.
Reply 12
Wish it was Philosophy, Linguistics and English Literature. There's a lot of crossover between the disciplines: Philosophy & Linguistics would meet perfectly in Literature. There'd be quite a heavy emphasis on Literary Theory I suppose. It would be awesome anyhow, and might even tempt me away from straight Literature, which is unheard of!
Reply 13
Original post by fudgesundae
Bit more info here on the EP website:

Looks like it is going ahead as 3 separate course, although you can study all three disciplines when you get to Oxford.

Thanks for the website, looks like it's certainly going ahead.
i applied for MA in the department of linguistics 2012 but i got no reply yet, so has anyone heard from the department
Reply 15
Original post by Kalliope
Wish it was Philosophy, Linguistics and English Literature. There's a lot of crossover between the disciplines: Philosophy & Linguistics would meet perfectly in Literature. There'd be quite a heavy emphasis on Literary Theory I suppose. It would be awesome anyhow, and might even tempt me away from straight Literature, which is unheard of!

As psychology at oxford is basically a scientific discipline I thought this course should have its major focus on analytical problems like logic and philosophy of language etc.. :frown: I think English literature and philosophy may as well cater for you which is offered at Durham, Bristol, UEA and others.:wink:
Reply 16
Original post by parashurama
i applied for MA in the department of linguistics 2012 but i got no reply yet, so has anyone heard from the department

I applied for the MSc in Applied Linguistics and SLA, and also got no reply yet:frown: but I didn't find MA in Linguistics on the website:confused: by the way, my programme belongs to the education faculty i guess. what about yours??
This is the best degree ever; too bad I can't go to Oxford :frown:

Hopefully when this is established and the information is released, universities like York and Lancaster will have the same degree. They already have Psychology/Philosophy & Linguistics degrees anyway.
If I were to apply for PPL with; Psychology, Biology & Religious Studies, meeting the minimum requirements of A*AA, would I stand in good stead to be accepted?

I would also have English Language at A*/A at A2.
Reply 19
Original post by timmy5

Thanks in advance!

I know this is an old post, and already answered, but I feel I need to have my input. :biggrin:

As you have been informed, it's one of three combinations within the Philosophy Psychology and Linguistics course (although I'm aware it can be possible to do all three as a fourth option).

They're established courses now open for application this October, whey. I may apply for the Psychology and Philosophy option :smile: Although, as I understand it... the first two terms I would have the option to study Linguistics as well if I wanted.

Quick Reply