The Student Room Group

Spanish subjunctive phrases

I've got my Spanish A Level oral exam soon and just wondered if anyone has any helpful subjunctive phrases that I can use without having to conjugate verbs. I'm planning on using "Que yo sepa" but any more would be a great help. :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sea lo que sea?

Hagamos lo que hagamos...

Is your problem that you cant construct the subj on the spot? Cause that would be a drag.
Reply 2
Original post by greebo-man
Sea lo que sea?

Hagamos lo que hagamos...

Is your problem that you cant construct the subj on the spot? Cause that would be a drag.

I can conjugate the subjunctive on the spot but it's just helpful to have a few phrases memorised that I don't have to do anything with and that I can just use.
Reply 3
I remember having si fuese posible... and si yo fuera... drummed into me at school.
Only use idiomatic subjunctive phrases sparingly, focus more on constructions which are familiar (and relevant) and would be used in normal, everyday speech - it'll definitely sound too rehearsed otherwise. Which board are you with, by the way? I'm with Edexcel and not looking forward to it, not one bit :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Bella_Cullen
I've got my Spanish A Level oral exam soon and just wondered if anyone has any helpful subjunctive phrases that I can use without having to conjugate verbs. I'm planning on using "Que yo sepa" but any more would be a great help. :biggrin:

Espero que la situación mejore?

_Kar.
Reply 6
Original post by TheMeister
Only use idiomatic subjunctive phrases sparingly, focus more on constructions which are familiar (and relevant) and would be used in normal, everyday speech - it'll definitely sound too rehearsed otherwise. Which board are you with, by the way? I'm with Edexcel and not looking forward to it, not one bit :frown:

I'm with AQA - not exactly looking forward to it either as I need to get a grade A ideally.
Reply 7
Quizas sea a causa del hecho que
Es importante que no olvidemos
Yes? I find it useful if I try speaking to myself in Spanish and thinking of phrases that I would normally like to use and then writing them, or like finding a nice subjunctive way of saying it, down :wink:
Reply 8
Que + subj.

"let [verb]
Reply 9
Thought of a good one for you to say at the end - que le vaya bien.
So how were our orals guys? mine went okay I think.
Si fuera? That's the one our teacher suggested :p:
use si estuviera (and then something you are), like si estuviera triste, (then follow it by condicional) like seria hablar con mis amigos (that's a really simple phrase, but you can maniuplate it - and its imperfect subjunctive :smile:)
or just use simple phrases like no creo que/ no pienso que (in negative) then something in normal subjunctive... like 'no creo que la ley antitabaco sea efectivo, porque...'
GOOD LUCK! just learn some simple ones of by heart
Reply 13
Original post by perrobarrioajeno
use si estuviera (and then something you are), like si estuviera triste, (then follow it by condicional) like seria hablar con mis amigos (that's a really simple phrase, but you can maniuplate it - and its imperfect subjunctive :smile:)
or just use simple phrases like no creo que/ no pienso que (in negative) then something in normal subjunctive... like 'no creo que la ley antitabaco sea efectivo, porque...'
GOOD LUCK! just learn some simple ones of by heart

What does "si estuviera triste seria hablar con mis amigos" mean ?!?!?!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by cuche
What does "si estuviera triste seria hablar con mis amigos" mean ?!?!?!

:tongue:
haha, well my spanish is bad- so its probably inaccurate
but its meant to mean, 'if i were sad, i would talk to my friends' a very simple subjunctive phrases, but you can use the si estuviera with something else followed my conditional if you want to use an imperfect subjunctive phrase :smile: thats what i will be using! :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by perrobarrioajeno
haha, well my spanish is bad- so its probably inaccurate
but its meant to mean, 'if i were sad, i would talk to my friends' a very simple subjunctive phrases, but you can use the si estuviera with something else followed my conditional if you want to use an imperfect subjunctive phrase :smile: thats what i will be using! :smile:

Si estuviera triste hablaría con mis amigos

:smile:
Reply 17
You could try ..digan lo que digan, or qué yo sepa :smile:
Original post by cuche
Si estuviera triste hablaría con mis amigos

:smile:

yup, you can use that :biggrin: good luccccck!
Reply 19
No creo que
Aunque
No pienso que
Dudo que
Es importante que
Para que

^ these are more 'used' ones and sound more natural, 'hagamos lo que hagamos' and 'que yo sepa' are fine, but as a native speaker I have only heard these kind of phrases on tv or in songs lol. it's not really an everyday thing so it will be obvious that it's a set phrase whereas the ones might help if you wanted your answer to sound a bit more idk.. spontaneous... rather than planned.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending