The Student Room Group

The Persian Society (UKL Iranian Society)

Scroll to see replies

Well officially 98% of people in Iran are Muslims, with 96% being of the Shia sect...Although this doesn't take into account how many of them have lost their faith. And then what is the boundary for you to call some one a Muslim? As I know a few who don't pray a day but however consider themselves to be Muslim. in the end, in the Quran it says any one who believes there is only one god, and Muhammad is his messenger; then that he is considered to be a Muslim. But then there are others who pray shed times a day etc etc and he too is considered a Muslim.

Now in Iran I would say easy the majority are Muslims, but the numbers are falling specially with the generation that is growing up. I attended a closed door talk in Iran where incidentally this was the topic.. They predicted it ranges between 10-30% for a religious Muslim (depending on the boundary), and about 40% are ordinary muslin, pray 5 times, go to mosque etc etc.. And then 20-30% who consider them selves Muslim but however do not reflect it very well, but ultimately it's the intention that counts.

And then about 10% ish they think consider themselves atheist or who actually physically denounce Islam... But that means they can be Jewish/Christian/devil worshippers etc..

That was inside Iran with a population of around 73 mil ish.. Outside Iran however is a different story.. I think possibly outside, those of Iranian ancestory majority are "non-muslim". Depends on when they migrated away.. Possibly 60-70% are non Muslim.. I can't tell..But don't forget the outside community is very small compared to the population of iran.

Hope that helps
Reply 6281
devil worshippers lol guaranteed way to chill in hell with the one and only devil himself.
Original post by soldier-4-life
Ive got a question for the iranaians. Do Iranians consider theirselves muslim ? majority i meet are athiests and hate islam due to arab iranian hitory

im a muslim myself

Whilst I wouldn't presume to speak for the entire nation, I can however point out the trend of a shift away from religion towards agnosticism and atheism amongst the youth. 75% of Iran's population are under 30, they drink, party, go out and act like any other group of young people (just like they did before the Revolution).

Does this stop them being Muslims? Well that's a personal question you'll have to ask them yourself. Faith isn't a series of boxes that need to be ticked, but by and large it means that they hate fundamentalist Islam (like that enforced on them by the Mullahs). However many of them could pay lip service to Islam, the same way youth here in the UK pay lip service to Christianity, but really all that means is going to Mass on Christmas Eve and writing "Christian" on your census.

Likewise, Iranian culture is not Islamocentric. Iranians do not use the Islamic calendar, our national day is not Eid, and so on. And after 32 years of being oppressed under religious laws most Iranians know that faith is something personal and not be imposed on people with archaic laws.

Also:

More than 75 percent of Iranian youth no longer observe standard religious rituals, such as praying five times a day, Ehsani said. The effect is magnified by the fact that 65 percent of Iranians are less than 35 years old, he said.

http://www.dailynorthwestern.com/2.13924/iranian-youth-striving-for-reform-panelists-say-1.1990574

Not that many young Iranians were there to hear the Ayatollah's words. Less than 1.4 % of the population ever bothers to attend Friday prayers, according to Iran's ministry of culture and guidance.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/sep/03/worlddispatch.helenasmith

In expat communities Iranians are by and large atheists or agnostics.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6283
Original post by kolo
the girl at the end of that video is f hot.
where can i see part 1 and 2?

this
Reply 6284
Original post by kolo
the girl at the end of that video is f hot.
where can i see part 1 and 2?

have a look on www.thedailyshow.com
is anyone doing any exams this summer? I'm doing my Persian A2 and I retook my AS today, wasn't that easyy!

did anyone else do it? :smile:
Reply 6286
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I am Iranian TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO =D
Original post by messori
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I am Iranian TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO =D

Why have you got a load of Arab flags in your postbit and signature then?
I was going to say the same thing....

The signature flag could be in support of gaza/ Palestine.... But why the Saudi Arabian flag??
Reply 6289
Original post by just_a_girl_x
is anyone doing any exams this summer? I'm doing my Persian A2 and I retook my AS today, wasn't that easyy!

I'm doing A2!
Good luck!
Any resources.....?
Reply 6290
Did anyone watch Not Without My Daughter in the 90s?

Just watched Without My Daughter on youtube showing the father's side of story. Not sure either are telling the whole truth, but the documentary was heartbreaking!
There's a bit more about their trip to Iran here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kibMQIl4A4w
Reply 6292

Well I'm doing my A2 in June and got a B in AS... I need another B... but apparently A2 is sooo much harder than AS... My friend who got an A in AS got a D in A2 (He probably didn't revise cuz he thought it'd be ok since he got an A lol) and also there is only 1 Past Paper for A2: http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_10_jun/ocr_57497_pp_10_jun_gce_f886.pdf ... Word of Advice... Revise Your ass off Cuz I will be doing the exact same thing... Good luck! :smile:
Reply 6293
Original post by AbuzarA
I'm doing A2!
Good luck!
Any resources.....?

There is only 1 past paper... ONLY 1! And it's just on the OCR website I think!
Reply 6294
Original post by AbuzarA
I'm doing A2!
Good luck!
Any resources.....?

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_10_jun/ocr_57497_pp_10_jun_gce_f886.pdf

The ONLY exam paper for A2 Persian... Evaaaaarrrrrrr! :'(
Reply 6295
Original post by Ehsan007
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_10_jun/ocr_57497_pp_10_jun_gce_f886.pdf

The ONLY exam paper for A2 Persian... Evaaaaarrrrrrr! :'(

Mer30; good luck!
Reply 6296
How did everyone do in the Persian A2 Exam today? And does anybody know what the Grade Boundaries are for the test!? I really really need to know! :O

Thank you :smile:
How did everyone do in the Persian A2 Exam today? And does anybody know what the Grade Boundaries are for the test!? I really really need to know! :O

Thank you :smile:

I didn't sit it but how did it go? :smile: I was going to sit AS and A2 this year but decided against it...
Reply 6298
Original post by _Jasmine
I didn't sit it but how did it go? :smile: I was going to sit AS and A2 this year but decided against it...

Well... it wasn't that bad... The Essay at the very end really pissed me off cuz I didn't finish all of it... and the Essay Topics were just pieces of craps that just wanted to test your history knowledge of Iran (For 1 or more of them) and the rest were just crap... I honestly don't know why they can't give you nice topics :'( But apart from that it was good :smile:

Why didn't you sit it?
Well... it wasn't that bad... The Essay at the very end really pissed me off cuz I didn't finish all of it... and the Essay Topics were just pieces of craps that just wanted to test your history knowledge of Iran (For 1 or more of them) and the rest were just crap... I honestly don't know why they can't give you nice topics :'( But apart from that it was good :smile:

Why didn't you sit it?

Urgh I hate it when they give you crap things to write about! My friend sitting her AS French had to write about handicapped sports! :confused: I'm sure you've done well though!

Ern, I don't know really, I didn't really see any point and I was too busy with my other exams to have the time to do past papers etc...Are you fluent?

Quick Reply

Latest