The Student Room Group

AS Geography Unit 1 AQA - 17th May 2011

My friend has compiled a useful list of what may come up in this exam, by looking back at what's already previously come up in other exams :'D
And because no two subjects have come up twice (maybe except for some questions); we can kind of guess what may come up, Hope this helps :biggrin:

Only got notes on Rivers, Coasts, Population and Food Supply - as these are the ones our school is doing :]

The textbook used is the Nelson Thornes AQA Geography Textbook ^^

QU 1: RIVERS, FLOODS AND MANAGEMENT

TOPICS AS YET UNASKED? (and page nos in textbook)

Hydrol cycle: water budget 4, Flood hydrograph diag, put labels? 5, Factors eg urban, relief, geology 7

Channel: characteristics eg WP, HR, efficiency, roughness, relate to velocity, discharge p9-12

Processes: deposition 15-16

Features: meanders, braiding, levees, deltas 19-22

Causes of flooding: magnitude & frequency relationship 24-27

Flood Mngt Strategies: soft engineering eg forecasts & warnings, land use mngt on floodplain, wetland & riverbank conservation, river restoration 30-38

QU 3: COASTAL ENVIRONMENTS

Coastal System: destructive waves 83-84, tides 86

Processes: mass movement, run-off 89-90

Erosional landforms: cliff, arch, blowhole, stack, platform 92-93

Depositional landforms: sand dunes and saltmarshes 97-99

Sea level change: impact of present and predicted rise in sea-level

Coastal flooding: case studies, specific physical/human causes, Katrina, 108-113, physical and economic consequences 113-114 (useful activity on 113?)

Coastal protection: hard engineering types, sea walls, riprap, gabions, groynes, barrages 114-115, Holderness 101-105

Issues of hard vs soft engineering, contrasting areas 116-118, cost benefit 122-123, potential for sustainable management 126.

QU 5: POPULATION CHANGE

Population indicators: population density. Optimum, over and under pop 168-172

Population change: managing pop to achieve sustainable development 175-177, case studies of countries at diff stages of Dem Trans model

Pop change and migration: affecting character of rural and urban areas 187

Settlement case studies: inner city, suburbs etc, housing, age structure, ethnicity and effect of migration 99-201

QU 6: FOOD SUPPLY ISSUES

Global pattern of trade: 202-206

Agricultural systems: commercial, arable, mixed etc 209, with examples

Managing food supply: Genetic modification etc 213-215, land colonisation and land reform 217-218

Changes in demand: all year demand for seasonal foods 227, organic 222, local and regional sourcing 223, 226

Potential for sustainable food supplies: question on 229

Scroll to see replies

Urm most of this stuff came up on Jan 2011
Reply 2
How did everyone find it? I thought it was really hard :cry2: None of my really well revised topics were on and I felt I was blagging so much. So disappointed :frown: I blanked so bad I couldn't even remember what an erosional process was at one point.

Edit: What did people write for the question about mass movement and the picture of Mappleton? (coasts)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Hey, I didnt find the paper hard, but ran out of time, so rushed on the 15 mark question. Is there any possibility of getting an A by leaving out the last section?
I ran out of time!! and completely rambled on the rivers 15 marker!....only if I had 5 minutes more.
Original post by Priya*3*
Hey, I didnt find the paper hard, but ran out of time, so rushed on the 15 mark question. Is there any possibility of getting an A by leaving out the last section?

YES! in my mock, I got 4 marks on one of the 15 markers and like 5 on another, and still got an A :smile:
Reply 6
WOW reli, but did u do reli reli well on section A?
Reply 7
Original post by Rikku Kisaragi
YES! in my mock, I got 4 marks on one of the 15 markers and like 5 on another, and still got an A :smile:

I mean i think i generally did ok, but it reli wasnt what i expected, I kinda waffled a lil on section A.
Reply 8
i missed out the last section too! there was no time
Original post by Priya*3*

on the unit 1 I got 38 on the human side, 24 on rivers/coasts (no revision!), which was 62, it was 58 to get an A out of 120, so I just made it!
& on the Skills paper I got like 24/30 ...so It was an A overall despite the awful rivers/coasts section!!
I'm just hoping that the grade boundaries are crazily low again!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
I had time and I finished perfectly. It was really what I didn't want though :frown: 2 questions 15 mark questions on hard engineering? And what a waste of time having to read all those articles that when my answer would have been better from my own knowledge.

Edit: I feel so disappointed. I'm praying that the grade boundaries are really low again :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
I thought most of the 15 mark questions we a bit obscure. So much for revising the 41 case studies. Didn't really use any of them because I didn't know which ones were actually needed :angry:
Original post by S_123
I had time and I finished perfectly. It was really what I didn't want though :frown: 2 questions 15 mark questions on hard engineering? And what a waste of time having to read all those articles that when my answer would have been better from my own knowledge.

The articles were such a flipping WASTE OF TIME!!!
Reply 13
LOLOLOLOL~ all the predictions above were correct >: good thing i mega revised them xD
My hand was dead by the end of the exam :sexface:
Reply 14
Original post by copelandj
I thought most of the 15 mark questions we a bit obscure. So much for revising the 41 case studies. Didn't really use any of them because I didn't know which ones were actually needed :angry:

i lol'd at 41.
Reply 15
You only need roughly 50% for an A in Geography anyway :wink:
Reply 16
Original post by Rikku Kisaragi
The articles were such a flipping WASTE OF TIME!!!

I know!! I'm sure I got 0 on all those article questions. Especially the birthday rate increasing and immigration article - did you do that?
I not going to lie, I found that pretty tricky. Dont think it went like monumentally wrong, but everyone agrees it was a really hard paper. I felt like I was against the whole clock the whole way through.

Maybe its just me, but I thought eveything was really open ended and just.... gah. Hope the boundaries are low.
Reply 18
Did anyone do the cold environments questions, the picture about moraines?
Reply 19
Went for lateral, medial and push moraine

Quick Reply

Latest