The Student Room Group

XYZ's log

Will try keep this log up longer than past ones. Currently on Madcows 5x5 again to focus on the core lifts solely.

My goals for the end of the year are 100kg bench and 160kg squat/deadlift.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Monday

Quite a bad session. I think I need to drop my squat by about 10kg and focus more on hitting good depth. I did 142.5kg x 5 before but I think a few of those reps may have been a little too high. Thus, gonna estimate my squat (w/ good form) to be 130 x 5 and use that for Madcows. Also attempted to try out Power Cleans but my flexibility is terrible so not gonna bother with them yet - rows it is!

Wednesday

125kg x 5 for deadlift
45kg x 5 for OHP
6, 6, 3 for pull-ups

Decent session. Quite easy (aside from pull-ups) but it's first week of Madcows so predictable.
Good luck.

You bulking? And are those goals for 1RMs or reps? Cos they look pretty conservative given your current lifts.
Reply 3
Original post by Arturo Bandini
Good luck.

You bulking? And are those goals for 1RMs or reps? Cos they look pretty conservative given your current lifts.

Forever bulking.

They are 5RMs.
Fair play. Think you'll hit the squat and deadlift ones pretty easily if you carry on eating and training right tbh.
In to stalk.

What is your current body weight and current lifts? 5RM and 1RM?
Reply 6
Original post by MHorman
In to stalk.

What is your current body weight and current lifts? 5RM and 1RM?

About 86kg.

142.5kg x 5 for squat. However, I think I certainly must have been too high on a few of those so doesn't really count.

85kg x 3 bench-press (a few weeks ago).

142.5kg x 3 deadlift (a few weeks ago).
'Bout time you had a log.

Stalking.
Reply 8
Good luck. I think you could easily deadlift more given your squat, I get the feeling you don't deadlift very often?
Reply 9
Original post by u4m1r
Good luck. I think you could easily deadlift more given your squat, I get the feeling you don't deadlift very often?

I stopped for 3-4 months until about a month ago.

Will be doing it more now though on Madcow's.
Original post by Michael XYZ
About 86kg.

142.5kg x 5 for squat. However, I think I certainly must have been too high on a few of those so doesn't really count.

85kg x 3 bench-press (a few weeks ago).

142.5kg x 3 deadlift (a few weeks ago).

Your lifts are pretty damn awesome. How long have you been training for?
Also what programme did you use to get to this stage?
Reply 11
Original post by HilariousNinja
Your lifts are pretty damn awesome. How long have you been training for?
Also what programme did you use to get to this stage?

Thanks. I still weak as hell though.

I've been training for a year and 3 months. However, in between I didn't work out for a month here and there which killed previous gains.

I've used Starting Strength, Madcow 5x5, Layne Norton's routine and a little of WS4SB.

Ideally I would have done SS and then stuck to Madcow 5x5 till I could get no gains from it.
Thanks. I still weak as hell though.

I've been training for a year and 3 months. However, in between I didn't work out for a month here and there which killed previous gains.

I've used Starting Strength, Madcow 5x5, Layne Norton's routine and a little of WS4SB.

Ideally I would have done SS and then stuck to Madcow 5x5 till I could get no gains from it.

Tbh your lifts are pretty damn strong. Shame about dead's though they'd probably a fair bit higher considering how big your other 2 are. Why didn't you do them for 3-4 months?
Also, how much success did you get from WS4SB? I decided to progress from SS but I'm concerned because squats/deadlifts are only done once a week.
For WS4SB, you should think about doing the dead/squat twice a week if you are not doing any other sports. The reason that it only really has 1 lower body day is to keep the legs fresh for running/skill training for football or whatever sport have you.
Reply 14
Original post by HilariousNinja
Tbh your lifts are pretty damn strong. Shame about dead's though they'd probably a fair bit higher considering how big your other 2 are. Why didn't you do them for 3-4 months?
Also, how much success did you get from WS4SB? I decided to progress from SS but I'm concerned because squats/deadlifts are only done once a week.

I only run it for a month or so. It was okay, can't really comment because I was still a novice then.

I was doing Layne Norton's routine. I did Romanian Deadlifts but I chose to squat instead of deadlift for lower body days.

Depends what your focus is. WS4SB is good but more for athletes it seems. If you just want to get strong then 5x5 would be better IMO.
Original post by The Blind Monk
For WS4SB, you should think about doing the dead/squat twice a week if you are not doing any other sports. The reason that it only really has 1 lower body day is to keep the legs fresh for running/skill training for football or whatever sport have you.

I run it as a 4 day programme but only workout on Mon/Weds/Fri.

I only run it for a month or so. It was okay, can't really comment because I was still a novice then.

I was doing Layne Norton's routine. I did Romanian Deadlifts but I chose to squat instead of deadlift for lower body days.

Depends what your focus is. WS4SB is good but more for athletes it seems. If you just want to get strong then 5x5 would be better IMO.

Hmmm... I think I may just milk WS4SB for all it's worth because its got a decent amount of variety so I won't get bored like I did with SS.
Reply 16
Friday

Squat - 125 x 3
Bench - 75 x 3
Rows - Just testing what I could do

Forgot to post this one. Rows is a bit odd. I don't think my back is especially weak but I could only do 55x5 or so. So I'm gonna just say that's my max and go with it. I'm hoping for it to rise pretty quickly though.
Reply 17
Monday

Squat - 125 x 5
Bench - 75 x 5
Rows - 50 x 5

Decent session.

Squats were fairly hard to be honest but expected because now I'm going a lot lower than I did. Bench was fine really. Rows were quite easy.
Reply 18
Wednesday

OHP - 47.5 x 5
Dead - 127.5 x 5
Pull-Ups - 6, 5, 4

OHP was decent, not really hard. Deadlifts were harder than I expected but still alright. Bit annoyed about pull-ups though. Last week I got 6, 6, 3 and today only 6, 5, 4.
Reply 19
Friday

Squat - 127.5 x 3
Bench - 77.5 x 3
Row - ???

-----------------

Monday

Squat - 127.5 x 5
Bench - 77.5 x 5
Row - 50 x 3 x 5

Decided for rows it will be a lot better if I do a starting strength style thing. So 3x5 for them with same weight. Bench was also easy which is good news.

-----------------------

Wednesday

OHP - 50 x 3
Dead - 130 x 5

Went to Genesis Gym w/ U4m1r and The Question. Was a lot of fun but my right shoulder was clearly still injured. Only got 50 x 3 for OHP and I can now feel my right shoulder hurting a bit again. Not sure what I'm gonna do. Either rest it for a while or maybe just do light sets. Dunno.

Quick Reply

Latest