The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey,

Well we know the proportions of the multiple choice with regards to topics as they are similar year on year.

The written answers are a lot more difficult to "predict" and I suggest we shouldn't even try >.<

It's likely there will be at least a hint of something "recession" but just make sure you cover everything :smile:

Since we have a choice of 2 questions, it should be a lot easier. Personally, I find A B and C quite simple with regards to knowing how to get the marks, and if I am given a favourable D out of the 2 it shouldn't be too bad !
Reply 2
what do you think the unit 1 grade boundaries are?
Reply 3
Don't try and guess, just learn lots of generic mechanisms and evaluative points. Try and do the multiple choice in less than 15 minutes, don't spend more than 30 seconds on the definition, 4 minutes on the next bit and 10 on the third leaving you 45 minutes for the essay at the end :smile:
Reply 4
true true thats perfect timing.
Reply 5
i always try to write at least 8 lines for B and 12-15 lines for C...I can get all quality in MS within 5-6 lines and 8-9 lines respectivley but exagurate all points unnecessarily to try and make it seem better....is this a waste...How many quality lines do i really need to for each part...
ANYBODY HAVE JAN 2011 UNIT 2 :colondollar:
Reply 6
Original post by Alpha5
what do you think the unit 1 grade boundaries are?

Hello Alpha,

I've been wondering the same hing actually seeing as im getting quite worried about unit 1 :s-smilie:
Also is the overall grade for economics done on combined of unit 1 and unit 2? so if i got a high B in unit 1 then a high A in unit 2 then overall this would come to an A?
Also how much does UMS tend to boost your marks, like if someone got 53/75 raw, how much do you reckon this would be UMS'd up by?
Reply 7
Original post by James4821
Hello Alpha,

I've been wondering the same hing actually seeing as im getting quite worried about unit 1 :s-smilie:
Also is the overall grade for economics done on combined of unit 1 and unit 2? so if i got a high B in unit 1 then a high A in unit 2 then overall this would come to an A?
Also how much does UMS tend to boost your marks, like if someone got 53/75 raw, how much do you reckon this would be UMS'd up by?

53/75 would probably be 'UMS'd up' to a high B
Reply 8
DOes anyone know what came up in the 2011 january paper? It is quite easy to predict, e.g if inflation and unemployment havent come up in the past 3years, they will friday. Lol recession is always on every year, as u link it in the evaluation.
Reply 9
Does anyone have a Jan 2011 paper and mark scheme
Reply 10
the 1st question for jan 2011 was on economic growth and recovery.

D. assess the importance of both demand side and supply side policies in helping the uk economy to achieve a prolonged period of economic growth?

the 2nd question was on fiscal and monetary policy in the UK

D. assess the contribution that fiscal and monetary policies can make in maintaining a stable economy.
Reply 11
Original post by sandy21
the 1st question for jan 2011 was on economic growth and recovery.

D. assess the importance of both demand side and supply side policies in helping the uk economy to achieve a prolonged period of economic growth?

the 2nd question was on fiscal and monetary policy in the UK

D. assess the contribution that fiscal and monetary policies can make in maintaining a stable economy.

yeah they seem to be nice questions, I havent come across anything about inflation in the past papers, and ive done all the new spec ones. Im guessing it will be along inflation and its effects on the other macroeconomic objectives. Essentialy everything comes up because u have to asses the main thing, e.g it 2011 supply side polices and see how it effects everything else e.g employment, inflation, balance of payments. I just feel interest rates and inflation will pop up, have no idea why lol
Reply 12
Do you have the question paper and mark scheme for jan 2011 please?
Reply 13
Original post by tallysingh
Do you have the question paper and mark scheme for jan 2011 please?

nah i dont, we went over the questions in lesson, but we didnt get the question papers |:
Reply 14
Buzzing
Reply 15
yeah they seem to be nice questions, I havent come across anything about inflation in the past papers, and ive done all the new spec ones. Im guessing it will be along inflation and its effects on the other macroeconomic objectives. Essentialy everything comes up because u have to asses the main thing, e.g it 2011 supply side polices and see how it effects everything else e.g employment, inflation, balance of payments. I just feel interest rates and inflation will pop up, have no idea why lol

I can't remember what exam date it was but I have definitely done an inflation 25 mark question that required evaluation of both demand and supply side policies as well as obvious references to cost-push and demand-pull inflation.

Quite looking forward to doing this exam and finally getting it over and done with!
Reply 16

inflation came up in june 2009 (:
Reply 17
Ok then, well I havent seen anything on AD either to be honest. With this exam, everything links in.
Reply 18
lol, aggregate demand was in june 2009 with inflation-' assess the view that inflation is always caused by an increase in AD.'

But yeah i get what your saying. interest rates how you said before could be a possibility, as i dont think its come up before.
Is there any adivce anyone could please offer on how to structure the d) questions , i'm good with all the knowledge but then i sometimes see a question and i just don't know how to apply it :frown:

For example: assess the importance of both demand side and supply side policies in helping the uk economy to achieve a prolonged period of economic growth?

How could i go about that ?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Latest