The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

MattG
ok fair enough :tongue: walking places always help my weight stay down I find, when I am at home for any decent amount of time (holidays etc) and I start driving anywhere, I put weight on.

I've been walking everywhere. During my gap year job I drove everywhere and sat still all day. Maybe I've put on weight in muscle.
susiemakemeblue
The thing I was so afraid of is starting to happen! Since I got to uni I have put on about 6lbs. That doesn't sound like very much, but it's a pound a week, and I'd like to nip it in the bud as soon as possible!

I think the problem is that although I'm eating decent food, it's not all low fat. I'm eating quite a lot of fruit and veg, for example, but also loads of red meat, and I'm drinking quite a lot of alcohol.

What can I cook that's cheap, nutritious, low in fat, and will actually fill me up? I find fruit really expensive. It's cheaper to buy chocolate. :redface:

hmm try to drink 2-3 glasses of water b4 each meal,
do some exercise (even situps in ur room will do luts)
buy low fat yogurt and skimmed milk; calcium has proven to contribute to metabolism
drink fruit juices and eat luts of veggies
fruit can b cheap, u just have to know where to look, ask ur friends, i bet they know sum places (of course if u go to marks and spencer then it costs like 5 times as much as any other normal place)
dont obsess over weight, just starts the dreadful cycle of "You eat because you are miserable and you are miserable because you eat" so you dont want to get there :rolleyes: feel good about yourself, thats what matters

OH BTW : AVOID ALCOHOL OR DRINK LESS BECAUSE IT HAS SOOO MANY GODDAMN CALORIES
Think about what you are doing differently now compared to before you were at uni. Are you skipping meals? Make sure you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner or alternatively 5/6 small meals during the day. Skipping breakfast can dramatically affect your metabolism - make sure you make time for it before lectures.
As for alcohol, stick to spirits and low cal mixers e.g. diet coke, slimline tonic.
I have. The jeans I'm currently wearing are fairly snug. They weren't before I came to Uni.

I think part of the problem is that I'm fairly sedentry. Whereas over the summer I was cycling to work every day, and doing a very physical job, now I'm not. I cycle occasionally, but really need to find a sport that I'm good at (havn't yet!) that doesn't need to much time.

Although I am going on a 50-mile hike (in 24 hours!) soon- that'll probably shift some...
Lauren Hart
the alcohol will be an issue, cut that back, it can mess up your metabolism a bit i think, and i know what you mean, fruit is expensive where bad stuff isnt. Maybe you just need to hit the gym more rather than changing your diet

Yeah good point. As well, stress increases your cortisol levels, causing you to store more fat. So even if your diet doesn't change into the uni transition, your body's fat storage mechanism will. Going to the gym will not only help those few pounds but working out reduces stress by a TONNE!

I'd probably end up having a nervous breakdown if I didn't work out, that's how I get rid of a lot of stress
I've done the exact opposite, unfortunately. To the extent that a boy in college looked at me at dinner yesterday and went..."you're tiny. i don't believe it. you're actually tiny." I got annoyed and ran away.

*sob*
Reply 46
first of all i don't think that you should exclude anything from your diet, it might work for some people but if you're not used to it you will just fall back. eat everything with moderation, to start with anyway and then if you feel that you want to take it one step further change the type of bread (as an example, i don't even know if you eat bread) to something healthier and then the next thing would be to exclude that as well. however my personal opinion is that you can eat everything as long as you do it with moderation, and that you should eat regularly.

as for what to eat, have you looked at different stores and their fruit prices? it can vary a lot. buy frozen vegetables. you can find large family sized packages. it is time saving and easy to cook. just put it in a frying pan and add rice, couscous, pasta or whatever. if you are worried about fat, don't add any butter oil etc. you don't have to because of the frozen vegetables (water).

i know beeing at uni everything can be stressful, but take the time to eat, at least one large meal/day. that way you might not feel the urge to eat a chocolate bar too often.

if you have to drink, don't do it so often, so many bad calories.
Reply 47
psycho(logist)
Yeah good point. As well, stress increases your cortisol levels, causing you to store more fat. So even if your diet doesn't change into the uni transition, your body's fat storage mechanism will. Going to the gym will not only help those few pounds but working out reduces stress by a TONNE!

I'd probably end up having a nervous breakdown if I didn't work out, that's how I get rid of a lot of stress

I find stress makes me loose weight. at uni, esp around exam time last year, i think a lost a fair bit of weight, as when i came home everyone commented on it. the last week i changed my diet a fair bit, but i saw a pic of me a couple of weeks before that, and i had def lost weight, even though i hadnt changed my diet at that point.
xx_ambellina_xx
"you're tiny. i don't believe it. you're actually tiny."

Cheer up. :hugs: Best things in life and so on. At least people won't think you're a boatie...
FadeToBlackout
Cheer up. :hugs: Best things in life and so on. At least people won't think you're a boatie...

Says Mr. Filthy-wannabe-boatie-I-might-cox-next-term.
during stress adrenaline is released....this inhibits the effects of insulin so you take up less glucose into the cells and hence........dont put on weight actually the opposite..
Reply 51
I've prolly put on a fair amount of weight but I'm not sure it's noticeable. Last year I put on like 5-6kg in 2 months, that was quite funny.
I seriously don't get why females obsess about their weight. :confused:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

E-x-e-r-c-i-s-e
Reply 53
susiemakemeblue
Maybe I've put on weight in muscle.

Not a chance in hell I'm afraid.

Anyway, to answer your question, the thing to look at is, what are you doing now that you didn't do before which could be causing you to put on weight? Cut whatever it is out and you'll be fine, but I have a feeling it'll be alcohol, which you'll no doubt be reluctant to do.

Stuff that fills you up - eat lots of fibrous veg every meal - broccoli, cauliflower etc.

100g of cauliflower contains 25calories, which means you can eat 1kg's worth to get the same amount of calories as in a mars bar. See how full you feel after eating 1kg's worth of cauliflower !!

Seriously though, just eat calorie sparse foods, as I said 100g of cauliflower contains 25kcalories, compare that to 100g of chocolate which contains 500, 100g of peanut butter which contains 700..etc.
Reply 54
imasillynarb
See how full you feel after eating 1kg's worth of cauliflower !!

On the verge of committing suicide.
I could do with a few pounds, so I won't be too bothered :smile:
Reply 56
I really can't believe the amount of crap I eat here. I just live off chocolate and Burger King :redface:. I dunno how much weight I've put on, but it's probably quite a bit! :frown:. The thing is, I always buy vegetables and fruit, but they usually end up going off before I end up eating them.
Reply 57
I'm doing less excercise than I did before uni (ie none at all) and I have lost weight. Three cheers to metabolism. But really, just make sure you're buying fruit and veg. 2/3 times a week I have made a salad randomly to go with whatever I'm making and have fun when cooking. Improvisation on the stove is sometimes quite fun. The amount of random stuff (that is healthy) that me and my friends end up making is pretty cool. Oh and I do 20 press ups every night (when I remember). Occasionally eat fast food if on the way to gigs or if I don't have time, and eat shed loads of chocolate and crisps.
Reply 58
I thought eveyone would lose weight, I'm sure I have anyway - and I was already underweight for my height, looool....

I do more exercise than I did at home and walk practically everywhere! Don't get enough fruit and veg, though I do try!! I find all the fruit in the supermarket is mouldy, it's a complete joke! Who is going to buy the crap?! For breakfast, I'll just add some raisins and sultanas to weetabix or bran flakes, apparently that accounts for two fruits a day...lol.

If I have a pizza or something then I'll just put some lettuce with it and some sultanas again!

I would say I've done ok... sometimes I just end up eating loads of chocolate in a night when I'm stressed...lol. One week I just had something on toast each night because I didn't have the energy to do anything else! That week did me no good at all!
Reply 59
Magus
I thought eveyone would lose weight, I'm sure I have anyway - and I was already underweight for my height, looool....

I do more exercise than I did at home and walk practically everywhere! Don't get enough fruit and veg, though I do try!! I find all the fruit in the supermarket is mouldy, it's a complete joke! Who is going to buy the crap?! For breakfast, I'll just add some raisins and sultanas to weetabix or bran flakes, apparently that accounts for two fruits a day...lol.

If I have a pizza or something then I'll just put some lettuce with it and some sultanas again!

I would say I've done ok... sometimes I just end up eating loads of chocolate in a night when I'm stressed...lol. One week I just had something on toast each night because I didn't have the energy to do anything else! That week did me no good at all!

Try going to fruit an veg stalls. some are better than the supermarket stuff, and its cheaper as well.

Latest

Trending

Trending