The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4160
Original post by wibletg
Talking about experience caring for family members, specifically a family member who had quite a serious stroke?

Don't know if that would be sufficient, however?

Maybe, it isn't for me to say. It's certainly an experience you can talk about, but the breadth isn't all that wide. I'm sure that people would have got offers by caring for family members, but it's a very limited experience compared with the hundreds of patients you'd see when volunteering. The general consensus is to both have long-term voluntary work and some shadowing work, it's a tried and tested formula so it's best to go down that route.
Reply 4161
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
That clearly involves a massive commitment and so it is definitely worth mentioning :smile:
Healthcare/hospital work at some stage would help but you already have more 'frontline' experience than most will ever get.

Right, cheers :smile:
Original post by Beska
Maybe, it isn't for me to say. It's certainly an experience you can talk about, but the breadth isn't all that wide. I'm sure that people would have got offers by caring for family members, but it's a very limited experience compared with the hundreds of patients you'd see when volunteering. The general consensus is to both have long-term voluntary work and some shadowing work, it's a tried and tested formula so it's best to go down that route.

Found some money I see :tongue:
Reply 4163
Found some money I see :tongue:

:biggrin:
I had a dream that I got got an email from Barts saying they'd give me a work experience placement and I got really happy. What has my life come to :emo:
I am Currently at the end of year Eleven and looking to start some long term work experience for a medical application in either a hospice or nursing home.

Firstly, which do you think offers the most useful medical experience ?

and which do you think is looked upon best by admissions boards ?

Thank you,

Henry
Reply 4166
Original post by HenryAtkinson
I am Currently at the end of year Eleven and looking to start some long term work experience for a medical application in either a hospice or nursing home.

Firstly, which do you think offers the most useful medical experience ?

and which do you think is looked upon best by admissions boards ?

Thank you,

Henry

Either/or, there's no real difference. It's what you gain from it that counts.
Original post by Beska
Either/or, there's no real difference. It's what you gain from it that counts.

Oh Ok i thought that possibly hospices would have more people with conditions that would be medically interesting compared to nursing homes, no?
Reply 4168
Oh Ok i thought that possibly hospices would have more people with conditions that would be medically interesting compared to nursing homes, no?

People in nursing homes are likely to also have medical conditions ('interesting' is in the eye of the beholder) - just pick the one you would most like to work in. If you think a hospice would be more interesting, choose that one. :smile:
Original post by Renal
Renal (applied 2003 for 2004 5-year entry) did 4 days in an RAF medical centre when he was on a station with the air cadets and 2 days with the physioterrorists at his local DGH. He was also in the cadets for 7 years as an NCO and staff. He worked as a football steward and as a bookmakers cashier. Was a prefect and senior prefect at school. And he had experience of being a chronically ill patient.

wow, well done on the quality experience and well done for getting through illness. I know its kind of random but i have had a number of family members who suffured and some died. Just wanna say respect for getting through it :smile:

How interesting they are 'medically' deosn't really come into it. The whole point is to get you interacting with patients which you can do regardless of what is wrong with them :smile:
Joe Mullally 2011 entry- present: 2 years St.Johns, 11 weeks old peoples home. week hospital (programme) Voluntary assistant climbing instructor 2 years
Helping at an after school club for kids at old school run by youth worker year and a half
founded a constituted organisation (essentially a charity) to try and get things for young people to do in the community.
and i'm currently applying for a zillion jobs at the hospital
Also might be able to go to an aids clinic in Lesotho in the summer if i can get money up / time off work/ the guy gets back to me. Not sure if i should do it though it's really expensive.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by joemullally
Joe Mullally 2011 entry- present: 2 years St.Johns, 11 weeks old peoples home. week hospital (programme) Voluntary assistant climbing instrucor 2 years
Helping at an after school club for kids at old school run by youth worker year and a half
founded a constituted organisation (essentially a charity) to try and get things for young people to do in the community.
and i'm currently applying for a zillion jobs at the hospital

You are the closest I've seen to someone actually building an orphanage singlehanded.
You are the closest I've seen to someone actually building an orphanage singlehanded.

No orphanages yet
but we recently got plans passed for a skate bowl in bangor
that's for the Constituted organisation thing
It's in honour of my best mate who passed away last boxing day.
Need to do more obviously as i didn't even get an interview anywhere
Andrew Mooney - Applying in October 2011 for September 2012 entry, hopefully for Glasgow.

Volunteering in a Day Care Centre for patients suffering from cancer, multiple sclerosis, and lymphoedema every Thursday and Friday since November 2010, which equates to approximately 7 months at the time of posting this. The role entails providing patients with meals and refreshments, helping elderly and disabled patients to and from appointment rooms, and helping out when something happens, e.g cardiac arrests, elderly patients falling, etc.

Ward volunteering at local general hospital since February, so that will be about 8 months at the time of applying in October. That entails just basically helping out in the care of the elderly ward, providing patients with meals and refreshments, and talking to patients, which can be challenging, as some have severe dementia and things like that. It's very rewarding though, I enjoy doing it.

I've also worked on a voluntary basis as a support worker for almost 2 years, which involves providing round the clock care for young children from disadvantaged backgrounds, many of whom are born with underlying health issues.

I'm also starting in a charity shop soon for the British Red Cross, and I'm in the process of becoming a first aider with St Andrews First Aid in order to cover football matches, music festivals, and things like that.

As far as shadowing goes, I have 1 day of shadowing with a care of the elderly consultant, 1 day in A and E, 2 days of shadowing nurses in a lymphoedema clinic, and I'm in the process of organising a week in a GP surgery. Hopefully it will all pay off.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Andrew Mooney
Andrew Mooney - Applying in October 2011 for September 2012 entry, hopefully for Glasgow.

Volunteering in a Day Care Centre for patients suffering from cancer, multiple sclerosis, and lymphoedema every Thursday and Friday since November 2010, which equates to approximately 7 months at the time of posting this. The role entails providing patients with meals and refreshments, helping elderly and disabled patients to and from appointment rooms, and helping out when something happens, e.g cardiac arrests, elderly patients falling, etc.

Ward volunteering at local general hospital since February, so that will be about 8 months at the time of applying in October. That entails just basically helping out in the care of the elderly ward, providing patients with meals and refreshments, and talking to patients, which can be challenging, as some have severe dementia and things like that. It's very rewarding though, I enjoy doing it.

I've also worked on a voluntary basis as a support worker for almost 2 years, which involves providing round the clock care for young children from disadvantaged backgrounds, many of whom are born with underlying health issues.

I'm also starting in a charity shop soon for the British Red Cross, and I'm in the process of becoming a first aider with St Andrews First Aid in order to cover football matches, music festivals, and things like that.

As far as shadowing goes, I have 1 day of shadowing with a care of the elderly consultant, 1 day in A and E, 2 days of shadowing nurses in a lymphoedema clinic, and I'm in the process of organising a week in a GP surgery. Hopefully it will all pay off.

Have fun trying to fit all that in your PS :tongue:

You have a fantastic amount of experience :smile:
Reply 4176
We had one of those at BL.

His work is here; http://www.withfeeling.org.uk/
Original post by Renal
We had one of those at BL.

His work is here; http://www.withfeeling.org.uk/

You have ruined my cliche :frown:
Reply 4178
I know that you do it in year 10 (and year 11?) and I didn't manage to find anything relating to medicine, so I had the school arrange one for me working in a high street shop.
So I just have a few really, really basic questions about work experience:

Can you do it during school holidays, arranging it yourself?

Do you get more chances during college/sixth form?

That's it really, thanks for any replies.
1.Yes
2.My sixth form do a venture scheme so yes. I'm not too sure about other colleges and sixth forms.

Just arrange it yourself, ring up the local hospital, hospice, G.P's. Do it in the holidays.

Latest