The Student Room Group

AS Biology f212 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shooby_doo
What did everyone write for the question about things to look out for before making those two parrot thingy's breed?

lol
I said screen the bird in case it carries any disease + make sure they are closely related (in evolutionary terms)
So what do you all think would be the grade boundary ? say for 84% .. A ? :s
Yeah i said something along those lines
Even though they said list 2
I listed about 10 lol
Reply 943

What did everyone write for the question about things to look out for before making those two parrot thingy's breed?

inbreeding, well adapted, healthy, fertile, no diseases that could be passed on.. that sort of thing?
Reply 944

Check for genetic disease

and

Choose appropriate proportions of males and females.
Original post by ibysaiyan
So what do you all think would be the grade boundary ? say for 84% .. A ? :s

Yeah this one seemed pretty easy, didnt it.
So yeah it will be tougher to get an a
btw what did you write for the question about the celery liquid ?!
Original post by bcottle
Check for genetic disease

and

Choose appropriate proportions of males and females.

It was just a male (or was it female macaw) to be mated with other potential mates... :s-smilie:
Original post by Kir4nK
urrmmm isnt it convention of endangered species lol :/ ?

really? All my mates wrote conservation and were laughing at me for getting an easy question wrong!
Not as bad when they all got it wrong too!
what did people put for the very first fill the gaps question, something about the plants absorb phosphates to form (....)

automatically i thought of phospholipids in the cell membrane and put down 'lipid' in that gap :s-smilie: but apparently it was actually nucleotides?

lol-"parrot thinghy's":biggrin:, anyway, i put down check for hereditary diseases and make sure they are not from same gene-pool, to prevent inbreeding.
Reply 950

i said that because the celery already contains water, so when liquidised it would lower the concentration of the enzyme? therefore we should dehydrate it first? i was unsure though

That the celery liquid on its own may carry certain substances ( i added inhibition,altering the tertiary shape,etc)which might alter our actual results which we get by having a solution solely made up of the enzyme (catalase) and something more to fill the line.. :s
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 952
Original post by MissLightyear
i did both too, i wasnt sure which so thought id put that

Gutted about the CITES question, put Control of international trading of endangered species instead of conservation :frown:

Its not even Conservation... its Convention! lol
And how would you possibly get 6 marks on how lung cancer develops?!
I was running out of ideas LOL!
I even started talking about how the painted mice with tar haha
Reply 954
Original post by ibysaiyan
It was just a male (or was it female macaw) to be mated with other potential mates... :s-smilie:

Not sure but I remember the question as something like:

"We realise this species is endangered and collectors and contacted to arrange a captive breeding program, suggest how the birds used in the program should be selected"
Original post by CullenLoverX
what did people put for the very first fill the gaps question, something about the plants absorb phosphates to form (....)

automatically i thought of phospholipids in the cell membrane and put down 'lipid' in that gap :s-smilie: but apparently it was actually nucleotides?

nucleotides.. hm yea I think that's what I had..
Original post by jcb123
Its not even Conservation... its Convention! lol

I know Ive just been told, my mates lied to me after it :tongue:
Reply 957

yeah its nucleotide because the phosphate id part of the backbone in nucleic acids
Reply 958

eh???

for the first question fil in gap.......I put photosynthesis!!!!:confused:
The fill in the blanks and use correct term were gift marks...

Quick Reply

Latest