The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The Daily Mail reader yesterday bemoaning to me that the fact we have to put security tags on footwear stock that is put out on the shop floor is 'bureaucracy gone mad'*. Aye, right ye are. We'll just leave it totally unprotected then, just for your benefit.

*she really did say those exact words, beyond parody these cants.
Reply 2081
I'm not a cashier, but I am trained and get called to go on tills when it's suddenly and unexpectedly really busy. Therefore each time I open a till it is for the benefit of the people who have been waiting the longest in the queues at the other tills - not for the benefit of the person who timed their arrival to tills with me opening my queue-less till! :mad: I really feel for the customers who get inconvenienced by this. :frown:

As much as I hate the people who complain about queues (we don't want them either!), I do see their point when there are free tills that a trained colleague could jump on. If however, like today, all tills are manned there is nothing else we can do about the queue - so don't complain! :wink:
Reply 2082
I worked in a gift shop in London and people were forever moaning about the price of the cards. They all had little price tickets on them and there were plenty for under £2, but no: they had to pick up the £4.95 ones with all the glitter and fancy bits, and then moan about it.
The other night I was working at a different store in our area, which has clearly marked self serve and till queue lines. I'd called someone to help me as there was about 4 customers in my line, and everything was fine until a woman who had been in the self serve queue (there was a machine free and everything) stormed over in front of the man I'd just called to my till and said "EXCUSE ME, I was here before this man." So I calmly pointed out the signs and said it was a different queue, that I was very sorry but if she wanted serving by a person and not to use the machine she'd have to join the end of my queue. She refused to believe that she was wrong, said it was disgusting that I was so stupid that I couldn't tell who'd been first in either queue (I serve who's first in my queue then call over people from self serve if I have nobody waiting!) and THREW HER PACKET OF PARACETAMOL AT MY HEAD and left.

The thing that most annoyed me though was that I apologized to the man I'd been about to serve for the little hiccup in his customer experience and he didn't even thank me for not letting the woman push in, he continued to be totally grumpy for the whole transaction!

Plus then a woman who looked under 25, so I ID'd her, who then got annoyed and walked out as she had apparently NEVER EVER been asked for ID. Her mum came in a minute later all angry saying I'd totally insulted her daughter and wanted to see my manager as I'd refused to serve her, as she'd asked for the exact same thing and told me who it was for, so I couldn't. He said the exact same thing, but then she kicked up so much of a fuss that he told me to just serve her (in my own store, we'd have just told her to jog on, but that manager backs down if they get annoyed..) - I had to point out to him later that she'd ranted about how her daughter was in her 30's, but then gave her age several times during her rant as being March 1983. Making her 28, and only just. If she's going to get that annoyed about it, I'd expect her to know her own daughters birthday.

In other news I started a new second job at an estate pub yesterday, all went really well and I got on with everyone, except a couple of the old men who are regulars, but not very sociable or friendly ones. As I'd never worked in a bar before it was a bit confusing serving all these old men, who all seemed to be called John, and some apparently usually had their drinks in special glasses, or didn't have a fresh glass between drinks. So I had to keep asking "Would you like a clean glass?" and they'd give me a funny look, especially one guy who looked like I'd just asked him if I could lick out the glass for him or something. I'll get used to it though I guess!
Original post by getinthevan
The other night I was working at a different store in our area, which has clearly marked self serve and till queue lines. I'd called someone to help me as there was about 4 customers in my line, and everything was fine until a woman who had been in the self serve queue (there was a machine free and everything) stormed over in front of the man I'd just called to my till and said "EXCUSE ME, I was here before this man." So I calmly pointed out the signs and said it was a different queue, that I was very sorry but if she wanted serving by a person and not to use the machine she'd have to join the end of my queue. She refused to believe that she was wrong, said it was disgusting that I was so stupid that I couldn't tell who'd been first in either queue (I serve who's first in my queue then call over people from self serve if I have nobody waiting!) and THREW HER PACKET OF PARACETAMOL AT MY HEAD and left.

The thing that most annoyed me though was that I apologized to the man I'd been about to serve for the little hiccup in his customer experience and he didn't even thank me for not letting the woman push in, he continued to be totally grumpy for the whole transaction!

Plus then a woman who looked under 25, so I ID'd her, who then got annoyed and walked out as she had apparently NEVER EVER been asked for ID. Her mum came in a minute later all angry saying I'd totally insulted her daughter and wanted to see my manager as I'd refused to serve her, as she'd asked for the exact same thing and told me who it was for, so I couldn't. He said the exact same thing, but then she kicked up so much of a fuss that he told me to just serve her (in my own store, we'd have just told her to jog on, but that manager backs down if they get annoyed..) - I had to point out to him later that she'd ranted about how her daughter was in her 30's, but then gave her age several times during her rant as being March 1983. Making her 28, and only just. If she's going to get that annoyed about it, I'd expect her to know her own daughters birthday.

In other news I started a new second job at an estate pub yesterday, all went really well and I got on with everyone, except a couple of the old men who are regulars, but not very sociable or friendly ones. As I'd never worked in a bar before it was a bit confusing serving all these old men, who all seemed to be called John, and some apparently usually had their drinks in special glasses, or didn't have a fresh glass between drinks. So I had to keep asking "Would you like a clean glass?" and they'd give me a funny look, especially one guy who looked like I'd just asked him if I could lick out the glass for him or something. I'll get used to it though I guess!

God some customers are so rude! there was no need for her to chuck them at your head. I think she needs a chill pill, not paracetemol.:rolleyes:
I was again pulled onto the tills when it was busy on Saturday, and served a really rude gentleman. :mad:

He asked to pay for some of his shopping with his Nectar card, saying he had at least a few thousand points, which I said was fine. Pressed a few buttons on the till, and it says he only has £2.50 to redeem, so I apologised and said this to him. He asked how many points he had, and I explained that I wouldn't be able to tell him that, but it will be at the end of his receipt. He started shouting at me "What? You must be able to find out! I DEMAND TO KNOW HOW MANY NECTAR POINTS I HAVE. NOW!"

In the end I had to call someone over, only to say the same thing I had said to him before. :sigh: He snatched his receipt out of my hand and surprise surprise, he didn't have as many points as he thought. He didn't apologise at all, not even to the 7 people queuing behind him.

You'd think Nectar Points were crack. :rolleyes:
Original post by briesandwich
I was again pulled onto the tills when it was busy on Saturday, and served a really rude gentleman. :mad:

He asked to pay for some of his shopping with his Nectar card, saying he had at least a few thousand points, which I said was fine. Pressed a few buttons on the till, and it says he only has £2.50 to redeem, so I apologised and said this to him. He asked how many points he had, and I explained that I wouldn't be able to tell him that, but it will be at the end of his receipt. He started shouting at me "What? You must be able to find out! I DEMAND TO KNOW HOW MANY NECTAR POINTS I HAVE. NOW!"

In the end I had to call someone over, only to say the same thing I had said to him before. :sigh: He snatched his receipt out of my hand and surprise surprise, he didn't have as many points as he thought. He didn't apologise at all, not even to the 7 people queuing behind him.

You'd think Nectar Points were crack. :rolleyes:

They could have just done a balance enquiry on another till to shut him up. That's what we used to do when I worked in Sainsburys. I don't know why they disable that function once you have scanned something tbh.
Original post by flipshot
They could have just done a balance enquiry on another till to shut him up. That's what we used to do when I worked in Sainsburys. I don't know why they disable that function once you have scanned something tbh.

It is silly. Recently, they disabled the 'quantity' function. It causes no end of problems. On Saturday, I had someone with 24 of one thing and plenty others with 6+ of a certain item. Given how busy it was and how there were no supervisors available [as they can over ride it and still use the quantity function], I just had to scan them all / scan one x number of times. Customers usually give me a funny look, especially as we used to be able to do it with one scan. :redface:
Original post by affinity89
It is silly. Recently, they disabled the 'quantity' function. It causes no end of problems. On Saturday, I had someone with 24 of one thing and plenty others with 6+ of a certain item. Given how busy it was and how there were no supervisors available [as they can over ride it and still use the quantity function], I just had to scan them all / scan one x number of times. Customers usually give me a funny look, especially as we used to be able to do it with one scan. :redface:

You know, I've had that in Asda before, a cashier scanning everything instead of counting it (I bought like 8 smart price chocolate bars xD). I was confused why, as that is just wasting time really, but if they had the same problem as you then that would make sense.
Discovered a new type of rude customers... ones that are impatient and rude to people training. I was training up a new girl on the tills on saturday and there were at least 3 customers who were unnecessarily rude and impatient. Whereas most people appreciate the situation I don't get why some people can't.
Original post by flipshot

I wish I could! But all the tills were in use. :eek: If there was one free and he was politer I would have, but it was very busy so tough tootsies to him! :tongue:

Removing the quantity function is such a pain! I feel very silly scanning the same item over and over and over and over... you get my point. :redface:
Original post by briesandwich
Removing the quantity function is such a pain! I feel very silly scanning the same item over and over and over and over... you get my point. :redface:

Definitely agree.
As I said, I've had to do it 24+ times this week. It is enough to make you go mad lol.
I hate it when customers moan at you when you don't have stock because your superiors don't know what stock control is or what bills are.
At my garage, my boss didn't pay a few invoices so we have had no chilled deliveries in a month now so our shelves are near empty, and, as you can imagine, as a cashier, it is my fault :frown:

Had an annoying woman this weekend who thought she could do my job better than me.
We have an airline at the side of the shop building. She was trying to blow up her trailer tyres with the air line.
Now, our airline gives out bursts of air rather than a continuous flow of air, otherwise it wouldn't measure the pressure and it could explode the tyres. She comes in and complains that the air isn't working so I politely say that i'll come out and try and fix the problem.

She tells me that its not a constant line of air, to which I reply that it's meant to go in bursts otherwise it can cause abnormalilites in the tyre and ruin them.
She tells me "No, thats wrong, it has to be a continous flow otherwise it won't work. It was working fine the other day!"
I asked her if she had used it before then and she said that she had and that it was a continuous flow of air. She told me that I'm young and don't know how to do my job before demanding a refund and issuing a complaint about me.
My boss, who was on site at the time and had heard some of the argument, looked at the complaint form, laughed, and tore up the form. I love my boss at times haha
Earlier today, we didnt have any fizzy drinks for a while. All of the fizzy drinks tasted like they had gone flat. So we had to not sell them untill it was sorted. It was ok though, because we had a maintinance guy come to sort it out. Plus we still had plenty of other drinks that people could have- still fanta, milkshakes, bottled drinks and hot drinks. Anyway, most customers where fine about it, but one customer who came round drive thru said "you havent got any fizzy drinks! thats ridiculous, surely that must be illegal".

Edit: is there a reason why i got neg repped for this?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2094
Original post by Emma:-)
Earlier today, we didnt have any fizzy drinks for a while. All of the fizzy drinks tasted like they had gone flat. So we had to not sell them untill it was sorted. It was ok though, because we had a maintinance guy come to sort it out. Plus we still had plenty of other drinks that people could have- still fanta, milkshakes, bottled drinks and hot drinks. Anyway, most customers where fine about it, but one customer who came round drive thru said "you havent got any fizzy drinks! thats ridiculous, surely that must be illegal".

I've had similar things when the coffee machine at work broke (I work in a coffee place) most people were ok with it others got funny about it. I could see where they were coming from but it wasn't my fault and we were waiting on a technician to fix it.
Original post by Emma:-)

I know EXACTLY how you feel, yesterday our fizzy drinks went off, tasted disgusting and flat....but THEN! Our coffee machines went off and THEN the shakes and ice cream!! So we were left with bottle drinks and the amount of complaints we had was ridiculous. Dont blame them being unhappy, but its not my fault, its a technical fault :frown:
Reply 2096
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
Discovered a new type of rude customers... ones that are impatient and rude to people training. I was training up a new girl on the tills on saturday and there were at least 3 customers who were unnecessarily rude and impatient. Whereas most people appreciate the situation I don't get why some people can't.

I've had this too, I normally say everyone's got to learn sometime to which I get... not on mine. Surely people can appreciate what it's like to be new at a job!
There have been a few customers lately who have been annoying.

* Since we got refurbished, we have now got a speakerbox in drive thru (to replace window 1). Anyway, there have been a few occasions when people have got to window 3 to collect their order and they say their order is wrong, (for example they wanted 2 double cheeseburgers and have only been charged for 1 and other similar things). Fair enough, mistakes can happen when they are ordering, (like the customer ordering wrong, the person taking the order not hearing them properly etc) but they are asked to check their order on the screen on the speakerbox before they go around to the window to pay. They said that their order was right when they checked their order. So its their fault. If their order wasnt quite right, then they should have said when they where still at the speakerbox checking their order, not suddenly realise when they are collecting their order and then blame us!

* One bloke yesterday moaning about waiting behind the car in front of him. Basically i started work at 8am and there was only 1 car in drive thru. They where at window 3 and they had a bit of trouble with their order. They had got their order a bit mixed up etc and they ordered something else at window 3. So it took a few minutes to sort that out. There was a car behind it, who had come just after. Anyway, we sorted that out, and the car went, and when i gave the car behind his order and apologised about the wait and explained that we had trouble with an order, he was moaning about waiting. Fair point, but he hadnt been waiting long. And he was there saying that he had to be somewhere at 8. Well if you have to be somewhere, then dont come round drive thru then!! And he was moaning, saying that he had heard the people in front ordering and they where ordering wrong etc. What has their order got to with him!!

* Then there was the nugget man. I have mentioned him before on this thread. I havent seen him much lately, but last saturday, he came to darken my doorway again. He got to window 3 and i was getting his order sorted for him. Then he decides he wants a mcflurry. I hate it when people decide that they suddenly want to order something else when collecting their order, as it causes havoc. Plus with instore being refurbished and only having drive thru, i didnt have a till to put the order through. So i just took the money and was going to put it through the till later (as we where dead busy at the time). He got mardy about that, even though i was doing him a favour by letting him order at window 3, especially as we had no tills to put the order through or anything. Then it came to giving me the money, and he gave me £1. I explained that mcflurrys are £1.19. So he got mardy again and didnt believe me for a start. Then he asked to make sure the fries in his order where large, as he had apparently ordered large before and got medium. So i said i would make sure for him, but he gets all huffy. Then he looked in his bag before he went and was like, "are they large??" I said they where and he moaned that they didnt look large and drove off. Its not our fault that he isnt happy with our portion sizes, we cant give him more because he wants more.
Not a complaint about a customer for once, but our store in general.

Our duty manager is currently obsessed with totally cutting down our wage budget. This means that the other students who work here who don't stay for the summer have not been covered as they leave. Which means that amongst other nights, my Friday night shift now consists of me on my own with a manager from 9 til the shop shuts at 11. Meaning that I not only have to face up the entire shop alone, I have to do this whilst manning self serve, passing cigarettes over the counter as we close off the tills at 9, working stock (as our duty manager also gives us unreachable targets on delivery days with such short staff) AND watching for shoplifters, as if one gets away it's my fault (I had an informal yesterday because I didn't get to the till fast enough to ring three bells, as I had been on the shop floor and more concerned with not letting him get out of my sight whilst letting my colleagues know what he was up to)

In addition to this we keep failing mystery shopper because aisles aren't clear and apparently we're not friendly enough - since we were always fine before we started being so short staffed, I'm putting it down to this. So all the customer service lectures and rollocking we keep getting from management are totally pointless because if we had more people on, we'd be able to give much better customer service.

It got so bad tonight that I was actually apologising to the people in the huge self serve queue, it was so embarrassing. It's so stressful having to do all these things at once where previously from 9 there'd always be two of us on, one around the till area to help out and the other looking after the rest of the store.

If I didn't need this job so much I would be out that door so fast..
Reply 2099
Original post by getinthevan
Not a complaint about a customer for once, but our store in general.

Our duty manager is currently obsessed with totally cutting down our wage budget. This means that the other students who work here who don't stay for the summer have not been covered as they leave. Which means that amongst other nights, my Friday night shift now consists of me on my own with a manager from 9 til the shop shuts at 11. Meaning that I not only have to face up the entire shop alone, I have to do this whilst manning self serve, passing cigarettes over the counter as we close off the tills at 9, working stock (as our duty manager also gives us unreachable targets on delivery days with such short staff) AND watching for shoplifters, as if one gets away it's my fault (I had an informal yesterday because I didn't get to the till fast enough to ring three bells, as I had been on the shop floor and more concerned with not letting him get out of my sight whilst letting my colleagues know what he was up to)

In addition to this we keep failing mystery shopper because aisles aren't clear and apparently we're not friendly enough - since we were always fine before we started being so short staffed, I'm putting it down to this. So all the customer service lectures and rollocking we keep getting from management are totally pointless because if we had more people on, we'd be able to give much better customer service.

It got so bad tonight that I was actually apologising to the people in the huge self serve queue, it was so embarrassing. It's so stressful having to do all these things at once where previously from 9 there'd always be two of us on, one around the till area to help out and the other looking after the rest of the store.

If I didn't need this job so much I would be out that door so fast..

I know exactly how you feel (although our staffing isn't quite that bad). It's ridiculous how much we are expected to get done, whilst running the rest of the store, and sometimes in my cae, even asked to duty manage (and yet I've been waiting months to hear back about management training :rolleyes:) It's gotten so bad now that I actually had an acute stress reaction at work the other week, and close to another last week. I need the money, but if it's gotten to the point that it's affecting my health, well that's more important. I have asked to reduce my hours, currently work full time, paid minimum wage to run my department and pretty much everything else on the shop floor, whereas these other guys come in 4 hours a day and stand at the fitting rooms or on a till, with no other responsibilities, for the same rate of pay. I know what I'd rather be doing.
Got an interview for another job in an hour, to help bump up my wages when I do reduce my hours. The best bit about it is there are no customers in this job :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending