The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Also didn't know about the meme.

We should at some point have a thread called "All your posts are belong to us."

I always get really freaked out when new threads come along and feel as if I am literally in a different place, it's odd.
Reply 21
Original post by Melz0r
Also didn't know about the meme.

We should at some point have a thread called "All your posts are belong to us."

I always get really freaked out when new threads come along and feel as if I am literally in a different place, it's odd.

Finish this one quickly and that can be the next one :p:
Reply 22
Do we get through roughly one per academic year?
Original post by Topaz_eyes
:O I didn't know that either, and I know too many memes :biggrin:

Even I knew that one. In fact I probably watched the episode on Cartoon Network back in the day. :tongue:

Original post by Topaz_eyes
Also - fun facts, Craggy was top poster, then Alex, smilepea and Zoe! :biggrin:

Oh dear I made 2nd...

Original post by Melz0r

The rate is a lot quicker than that.
Reply 24
Original post by Melz0r

It varies depending on the level of activity in the forum! I think this one's been comparatively slow. These are the dates that all the previous threads were started:

I - 03/07/04
II - 24/06/06
III - 02/03/08
IV - 10/11/08
V - 18/02/09
VI - 27/06/09
VII - 12/01/10
VIII - 23/10/10

I've put the meme in the OP now for anyone else who didn't get it :p:
visesh
That is very annoying, however, will it realistically affect outcomes?

"outcomes" in the sense of people improving their marks or in the sense of it really mattering in the grand scheme of things?

I think in a maths/physics type exam (presumably also in a medicine MCQ?) a 5 minute chat with your neighbour could certainly affect your final mark. Whether it's really the end of the world if the guy next to me cheats his way from a 63 to a 65 I can't say, it's more the principle of it.
Reply 26
Subscribe, subscribe.
Going to miss the Paul Krugman lecture :angry:
Reply 28
I've been making pencil notes in a library book today and it decided to karmically retribute me by giving me a massive scratch on my elbow with its pointy cover corner.
Original post by BigFudamental
Going to miss the Paul Krugman lecture :angry:

There's a Krugman lecture?
Reply 30
Original post by alex_hk90

Yep. :yep:
Original post by Tortious
Yep. :yep:

Thanks - I might actually be able to make that. :smile:
Reply 32
*delurks with a half-hearted, 11pm, can't really be bothered flourish and a half-eaten doughnut*

*subscribes*

I posted about twice in the previous thread despite reading relatively religiously - I will make it a resolution to post more in this one. So there. Or something. :tongue:
I'm debating going to the Krugman myself but none of the other Catzpeople seem to be bothered... That said though, there are only so many times you get to hear someone that awesome speak. :hmmmm:

Right, back to the macro and the cookies... *gallops towards the exam stress thread*
Reply 33
Original post by lp386
*delurks with a half-hearted, 11pm, can't really be bothered flourish and a half-eaten doughnut*

*subscribes*

I posted about twice in the previous thread despite reading relatively religiously - I will make it a resolution to post more in this one. So there. Or something. :tongue:
I'm debating going to the Krugman myself but none of the other Catzpeople seem to be bothered... That said though, there are only so many times you get to hear someone that awesome speak. :hmmmm:

Right, back to the macro and the cookies... *gallops towards the exam stress thread*

Hello flourishing person :smile: Post more, yes! Especially if you already read it :biggrin:

Also, my goodness I have a lot of stuff in Russia. I found a formal mint in my handbag, not having been to formal since last June, and just found my offer letter. From January 2008. Why on earth would i have brought that with me? :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by alex_hk90

Word.

From email I got:

MR KEYNES AND THE MODERNS - PROF PAUL KRUGMAN

Monday 20th June 2011
5.30pm - 7.30 pm

Babbage Lecture Theatre
New Museums Site

Please register in advance to [email protected]
Reply 35
I've just had an email from our Senior Tutor saying that the latest late-night attack was in Botolph Lane, which is uncomfortably close to home. I feel slightly sick... :s-smilie:

EDIT:

Zoedotdot

Thought I'd quote you since you're pretty much a neighbour - I know that colleges don't always inform their students as soon as they receive information.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Tortious
Thought I'd quote you since you're pretty much a neighbour - I know that colleges don't always inform their students as soon as they receive information.

Oh god, thanks, I'll let my friends know. One of them was pretty worried about getting back from the Engineering faculty late last night, she left her lights at home so it was either walk or cycle without lights. I can see why if there are all these attacky things going on :frown:
Reply 37
Original post by Melz0r

Original post by Melz0r
I've been making pencil notes in a library book today and it decided to karmically retribute me by giving me a massive scratch on my elbow with its pointy cover corner.

:eek: Naughty naughty!
Reply 38
One of the less endearing themes of Cambridge life :frown:
Reply 39
Suscribe.

Also, getting rather frustrated with my studies here at the moment, had a huge "This would be so much better if I were back in Cambridge" moment last night. Think it might have been a mistake to choose (essentially meaninless) exams here over May week... :frown:

In short, what this uni fails at:
- intellectually-stimulating teaching (I only really learn reading for myself, seminars are useless)
- a genuine sense of community (there's way too many students, I spend most of my time trying to battle through crowds)
- personal student-professor interaction (I'm not sure how many of my professors know who I am)

This is incredibly demoralising when I'm spending my evenings reading for overpacked seminars, knowing that I'm going to go there, get very little from it and hardly talk to anyone (students and professor alike).

Phew, rant over!
(edited 12 years ago)