The Student Room Group

Why is todays music so crap?

Because it really is...
How are virtually talentless artists such as Justin Bieber, Soulja Boy, Lil Wayne, Miley Cyrus and Lady Gaga to name a few so famous, and what specifically appeals to people about them? I can't go anywhere without hearing the bland, annoying, simple harmonies and lyrics being blasted out. I am aware there has always been bad music, but it was never so popular as it is today. Have people radically changed so much over the course of the last 50 years that they have 'devolved' in their tastes?
Before you say anything else, yes I am aware there are many good alternative, or underground bands out there, but I'm talking about the prominence of such artists? Why are they not given more recognition?
And I do know what I'm talking about. I'm studying for a degree in music and do know my stuff about music.
No trolling please :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's just the bad music from the past has been forgotten and the bands you remember from the 80s and 90s are the ones that have stood the test of time, unfortunately the majority of the public are simple and always have been, hence why chart music is so appalling.
i too, would like to know the answer to this. if i hear anymore crap coming out of tinie tempah's/professor green's/lil wayne's etc mouth, i'll have a breakdown.
Reply 3
I've always wondered this too... I generally only listen to stuff from the 80s-late 90s. Stuff nowadays is just ridiculously generic, repetitive, annoying..
Reply 4
Well alot of it is simple supply and demand. Silly teenage girls like people like Justin Bieber therefore we get more of it. Record companies don't care about good music, they care about profit.
Reply 5
Yes, as I said, I know there has always been bad music, but don't deny that good, talented groups or artists like Queen, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Stevie Wonder and James Brown to name a few were given widespread recognition?

And also, why don't more people enjoy Classical and Jazz music? The two best types of music around? I always wondered that. And please don't say something like 'they don't understand it'- Jazz was popular as hell in the 30s, 40s and 50s!
Popular/chart music maybe. You're just not looking hard enough.
I know far more about music than you. I invented music.
Reply 8
what do you mean crap. we still have x factor :P
Reply 9
How much of todays music do you honestly think you'll behearing in 5, 10, 15, 20+ years time? My bet is: not very much. Only the good stuff lasts.

As you say, there's always been bilge. But bilge is always at it's most evident when you're in it.

Can you remember the crap of the mid-to-late 90s? I can only really remember the decent stuff.

Ultimately, it's commercial. Some things exist to make a quick dollar, some things exist to make a slow 100 dollar. The latter sticks.
After listening to the song "friday"

I DISAGREE

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
As I said, I KNOW there is good alternate music, and have indeed looked and found many good underground bands.
I rebuke that statement that Lil Wayne is crap!
Which other artist could have thought of the line 'Real Gs move in silence like lasagna':cool:

But on a serious note,music is not what it used to be. I prefer listening to 80s and 90s stuff. But then I suppose people in the 80s and 90s said the same thing about the music scene of their time,they may have preferred music from the previous decades.
Reply 13
I'd agree for the most part..

I like the odd thing, I listen mainly to Led/Blink/Sum/Muse etc..

One exception for 'mainstream' stuff has to be Owl City though - I'm sorry, but that man knows how to write crazy ass lyrics...

Negs eh? People have a problem with my taste and music, so you're going to take it upon yourselves to be sanctimonious and neg me for it?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
It isn't people need to stop hating if its popular then i really don't see how it could be bad because clearly that means the majority think its good.
Justing Bieber is an ok singer if you like that sort of thing.
Soulja boy As much as i hate the guy has some good songs.
Lil wayne cant rap imo but he normally has good beats.
Miley Cyrus isn't that popular with most people.
Lady Gaga has some catchy songs.
Reply 15
Aren't something like 90% of all comments on youtube along these lines?
Reply 16
Its easy on the ears, and the most susceptible target audience for advertising is teenagers, which are the main fans of the people you stated above. Nowadays the youth that are buying music just want something simple to bop to rather then some Lupe Fiasco where they'd have to work out what the lyrics mean.
Reply 17
Instead of wishing the good music will come to you, you need to find it.
Lady Gaga does have some good songs which aren't mainstream.
Jessie J has good songs too.
If you look hard enough you will realise there is good music out there. Its just not broadcast enough tis all. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Studying for a degree in music doesn't mean you have a clue about the worth of modern music, or even what constitutes modern music. What a pointless gambit.
Try dubstep :P

Quick Reply

Latest