The Student Room Group

Would you break up with your GF if she's Anorexic?

I was diagnosed with Anorexia about five years ago, and it has made me weary of getting into a relationship. It seems as if all social gatherings and dates revolve around food - from theme parks, movies, meeting the parents, family gatherings and dinner, there's always that pressure to eat.

Would it be really off-putting to you if a girl constantly watched what she ate to a point that it is obsessive? I'm worried because when guys ask me out for dinner, I always so "no" or suggest something else like coffee.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Suggesting somewhere else to go on a date is good, yes. Certainly doesn't have to be food related.
And no I wouldn't mind. Would want to help you get through it all.
Reply 2
You are right, in this day and age a lot of social events do revolve around food/eating. If a guy was truly interested in you for who you are, I hope he would be supportive of your condition to try and ease your anxiety? By the way have you sought help for your anorexia?
It wouldn't bother me. Don't mind coffee, it costs less anyway than dinner.
Reply 4
You probably ought to focus on getting yourself better over getting yourself into a relationship.
Firstly, no, it would never put me off.

Secondly. I developed anorexia about a year ago, and am currently on a steady road to recovery. Five years is a long time. Are you seeing anybody about your illness at the moment? I know and completely understand that it never goes. I still count calories, before eating cake or anything sweet I still question whether or not to eat it. I understand that. But perhaps take little steps at a time, and more importantly, seek help.
I probably wouldn't go for an anorexic as I'm not attracted to really skinny girls, like size 0's.
But if my girlfriend started getting an eating disorder, I would try my best to help her through it.
God no! I'd help her get through it and try my hardest to make her better!
The fact that you will end up infertile and jaundiced sitting in a hospital bed with end stage renal failure puts me off a little more than you not wanting to come to nandos with me to be honest.
Love it when a petite girl sits down and eats a massive meal and leaves you wondering where the hell it all goes. I wouldn't break up with because of it, but it would be a pretty massive turn off well before.
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
I was diagnosed with Anorexia about five years ago, and it has made me weary of getting into a relationship. It seems as if all social gatherings and dates revolve around food - from theme parks, movies, meeting the parents, family gatherings and dinner, there's always that pressure to eat.

Would it be really off-putting to you if a girl constantly watched what she ate to a point that it is obsessive? I'm worried because when guys ask me out for dinner, I always so "no" or suggest something else like coffee.

No, I'd take her out to dinner.
Reply 11
My guy has some kind of eating problem, I think. I would never leave him because of that. I do admit though, I do push the issue of food and make sure he's eating properly.
Reply 12
It would put me off getting with a girl, I probably wouldnt unless I really liked her, but I wouldnt break up with someone I was already going out with because of it
Reply 13
i like food too much so yes
Reply 14
Ive yet to meet a border-line anorexic girl whos attractive.
Reply 15
Just be honest with people straight off, if someone looks put off by the fact you are anorexic then they are not the sort of person you want to be with. <that is said so often but its cause its true, you need someone who can look past the eating disorder and help you...
People who constantly watch what they eat irritate me so yes, it would put me off.

More my problem than yours though.
Reply 17
I'd never go out with someone who has anorexia, it's too weird
I don't know about breaking up, but she'd certainly be skating on thin ice.
Reply 19
Yes I would. Mostly because of the personality/social issues that go with it.

Although I wouldn't if they were willing to change and weren't paranoid, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest