The Student Room Group

Getting to the Bar and GDL Scholarship

Hi everybody, i'm new here. I'm just writing for two reasons, firstly, from all of your combined knowledge and experience do I have a shot at the bar/scholarship?

Qualifications: (State School)

A levels: Politics (A) History (A) Geography (A)

University of York Politics BA w/ Hons (2:1)

University of Warwick Politics MA (current average Merit)

BPP, Waterloo Part-time (Accepted)

--

NO legal work experience.

--

A 2 week work placement at The Times (Homes News Desk / Marketing)
Work experience with MP (albeit, some years ago now)

---

Only volunteering I have is 2 years as an unpaid boxing coach.

I also have various part-time and summer jobs under my belt but these are primarily retail etc.

I have a scholarship interview with Inner Temple so any tips on what to expect etc would be really appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Your qualifications are pretty standard. I don't know how the interview goes. Obviously something in your application impressed them. If you get a scholarship, that's great. But there are reams of candidates with 3 As and a 2:i from a good uni, some with a masters, and more don't than do get pupillage. If you don't get the scholarship, I'd give real consideration to whether you'd be content to try to become a solicitor--most people don't make it to the bar, so you're taking on a lot of debt for a relatively small chance.
Reply 2
I agree with jjarvis. i'm sorry if it sounds a bit negative, but you will probably need the scholarship to set yourself apart from all the other extremely well-qualified candidates who're aiming for the Bar - just take a look at the Pupillage 2011 thread here to see how much agony is involved!

but if you do get a scholarship, it's a bit like getting a seal of approval - so that'll help. if you're looking for interview tips, try the Inns of Court scholarship group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Inns-of-Court-Scholarship-TIPS-ICSTs/137476092932632 I know it has some GDL scholarship tips.

one thing you'll definitely be asked is: how do you know you want a career at the bar if you haven't done any mini-pupillages? that's something to really think about before you go in.

hope that helps.

PS: it is very possible to get a scholarship without having a mini-pupillage under your belt - one my friends did - but you need to be pretty phenomenal and convincing the panel that you're committed to a career at the Bar!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending