The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Essentials for LSE

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Jampolo
Oxford and Cambrdige are both great, but just remember you can only apply to one, and Cambrdige offers a pure Economics course, whereas Oxford doesn't, Oxford simply offers Economics and Management, which is more to your interests from reading the posts.

Whats the difference? Also I wanted to do Business and Management however not a variety of top uni's offer that course. Would I be able to learn about running a business in this?

Thanks
Nida
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 41
Original post by NidaJaffri
Whats the difference? Also I wanted to do Business and Management however not a variety of top uni's offer that course. Would I be able to learn about running a business in this?

Thanks
Nida

Well in Cam's course you'll learn pure economics, more useful to go into finance or investment banking (which everyone on TSR seems to want to do :rolleyes: ) Whereas economics and management is partly about economics, how firms governments and consumers make decisions and how resources are allocated. The management part consists of learning how to effectively co-ordinate labour and materials within a business.

You can find more here about Oxford's course here : http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/economics_and_management/economics_and_4.html

From looking at the course structure in the above link, yes you will learn about running a business, on both the financial side and the management side.
Reply 42
What GCSE would you need for places like KCL and UCL
Reply 43
This seems an appropriate thread, I was just wondering to what extent it would disadvantage my application, if I applied to LSE for Maths with Economics, without having taken Economics. I've taken Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry & Biology.

I know competition is crazy with something like 10 applicants per place, so will it essentially rule me out if I haven't taken Economics? Cheers
Reply 44
Original post by anil10100
This seems an appropriate thread, I was just wondering to what extent it would disadvantage my application, if I applied to LSE for Maths with Economics, without having taken Economics. I've taken Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry & Biology.

I know competition is crazy with something like 10 applicants per place, so will it essentially rule me out if I haven't taken Economics? Cheers

Nah that is fine if you applied to maths and econ. If you get great UMS scores with those GCSEs you will get an offer.
Original post by sixthformer
say someone did 9 GCSE's and got 7A*'s - whats their percentage?

78%. If you want to go to LSE you should be able to work that out.
Reply 46
Original post by danny111
Nah that is fine if you applied to maths and econ. If you get great UMS scores with those GCSEs you will get an offer.

Oh, I didn't know LSE saw your UMS?
Reply 47

Someone on here said next cycle all unis will, and at any rate they asked for them this cycle according to numerous people on TSR, so they will see yours.
N-Dubz studies at GCSE would be a more appropriate option so pick that
Reply 49
Original post by Rascacielos
You're be surprised. From experience, LSE are more bothered about GCSEs than Oxbridge. They often reject people with 5 or 6A*s at GCSE based on their GCSE grades. Whereas the average amount of A*s for successful applicants to Exeter College, Oxford is 4.

I got in with 3A*s and 6 As.
Original post by Krebs
I got in with 3A*s and 6 As.

Hence my use of the word "often" not "always".
Reply 51
can anyone reccommend any good books for accounting and finance, just to read so i can get a good sight into the subject? Thanks

They sent a survey this year asking for ums on your units, planning to resit etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending