The Student Room Group

A2 AQA History - Clivil rights in the USA 1865-1992 OCR discussion thread

Scroll to see replies

yeah,

im guessing seeing as Native Americans have come in the papers the last 3 times they may drop that out, as it is much smaller then african american topic.
Original post by Zionic

Original post by Zionic
Hello all....

I've got a bit of a problem in my notes.

I'm perfectly fine on unions (as boring as they are!), women and Native Americans, but when it comes to African Americans my notes are a bit short on how the federal government helped or hindered the civil rights movement.

This is what I have so far...

Helped

13th, 14th and 15th Constitution amendments

The New Deal

Brown v Board of Education 1954

1964 Civil Rights Act

1965 Voting Rights Act

Hindered

President Hayes ended reconstruction in 1877

1899 Cummings v Board of Education

And that's it :frown: Can anyone help me out please? :confused:

Thanks for any help. :smile:

Um... here's what I have:
1862 Emancipation Proclaimation
1901-09 Theodore Roosevelt supporting Booker T Washingon
1947 Truman's To Secure These Rights and desegregated military
1961 Kennedy sent federal troops to help with Freedom Riders and to Mississippi University
1957 Eisenhower sent federal troops to help Little Rock
1941 Fair Employment Practices Committee
1972 Nixon Affirmative Action, black capitalism, FEPC
1977-81 Carter appointed 37 black fed judges

Hindrances:
Reagan and Bush were pretty anti-CR

hope this helps :smile:

I'm really worried for exams... i actually didnt memorise any of those above but hopefully it wont come up this summer :P
Original post by Jimbobcoles
yeah,

im guessing seeing as Native Americans have come in the papers the last 3 times they may drop that out, as it is much smaller then african american topic.

i hope so... I actually didn't do much revision at all on Native Americans... :colondollar:
but who knows. I wish I knew the Jan exam questions. I feel like a turning point essay on Trade Unions is going to come up. And hopefully something on Women...
i really doubt they will drop African Americans.
wow these are amazing wish i had come here earlier!!!!!!!
Reply 25
That's for the replies and help. I did manage to find out some more things for hinderance and help for a practise essay I did, on which I got a B/A on. :smile:

For the questions coming up, some of us in my class looked it up today and given that they won't drop african american questions, the trend seems to be the next question will be on Afriacn American turning points. June 2010 had federal government helping or hindering blacks, january had blacks helping themselves, so it is likely that turning points will come up for them this year, hopefully.

Also I reckon that women and trade unions will also come up.

I'm getting a bit more confident with the exam, I'm spending all my free time reivising the course and reading the text book. But I'll probably think, "Oh crap :eek:" once I sit in the exam hall lol. :P
since we're here then, how would you structure:
to what extent was the 1960s the most important turning point for the development of African Americans civil rights 1865-1992?
Reply 27
Original post by darylpoon12
since we're here then, how would you structure:
to what extent was the 1960s the most important turning point for the development of African Americans civil rights 1865-1992?

If I remember correctly...

Introduction

Paragraph included in the question

Another period of time

Another period of time

Conclusion.
Reply 28
just wondering how everyone is feel about tomorrow - i am majorly freaking out! :frown:
Reply 29
Does anyone know how you Could split trade unions into themes?
Thanks
Reply 30
for trade unions could split it to actions of unions, actions of federal governemnt, actions of employers:

also just wondering if there is a question like "to what extent did the federal government hinder more than it helped" what would be the best structure for that?
Reply 31
Original post by 97SA05

also just wondering if there is a question like "to what extent did the federal government hinder more than it helped" what would be the best structure for that?

Introduction

Weaker argument

Stronger argument

Conclusion

Don't do it in chronological order.
yep for sure starting to freak out...
Reply 33
yep for sure starting to freak out...

Same.. I started freaking out about half an hour ago. :eek:

So nervous.

Please be nice questions, please!!!!
guys guys! how woudl you do this??
Assess the view that the Indian Citizenship Act if 1924 was the most significant turning point in the quest of Native Americans for recgnition of their right to self-determination between 186 and 1992.
Reply 35
guys guys! how woudl you do this??
Assess the view that the Indian Citizenship Act if 1924 was the most significant turning point in the quest of Native Americans for recgnition of their right to self-determination between 186 and 1992.

It's a turning point question.

Start off with an introduction...

Then the period in question, in this case, the 1924 Citizenship Act

Then another period in time

and another.

(One of the turning points you write about must have a judgement, i.e. this was the most important era because etc. etc.)

Conclusion
Reply 36
Hi, just wondering, what would you say counts as women's roles and positions??? I guess it's like jobs and whether they were away from family home, but what else is there? Would you talk about campaign groups and feminists? Help would be much appreciated - thank you and hope revision's going well ?
Reply 37
Also, what would you say are the turning points in Native Americans??? In terms of periods, and in terms of events??? For period I would definitely say 1960-1970 was the biggest turning point, but what comes next? I don't really know what happens in the 80s and 90s....The text book kinda finishes in the 70s...
Reply 38
Original post by ~Elle~
Hi, just wondering, what would you say counts as women's roles and positions??? I guess it's like jobs and whether they were away from family home, but what else is there? Would you talk about campaign groups and feminists? Help would be much appreciated - thank you and hope revision's going well ?

basically just use exactly the same argument as you would for "womens rights" but replace it with the "role and position of women" really and yes could talk about activism

I was also wondering - when you do turning points, how do you make sure you cover the whole period if you are only talking about three main events?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by 97SA05
basically just use exactly the same argument as you would for "womens rights" but replace it with the "role and position of women" really and yes could talk about activism

I was also wondering - when you do turning points, how do you make sure you cover the whole period if you are only talking about three main events?

Thanks for your help (:

The key to that is SYNOPTICITY - linking, comparing, contrasting to other periods. It's one of the key skills you need to get higher grade.

E.g., If we're talking about the 19th amendment in 1920 which gave women the vote, you might wanna link it back to how it was a turning point because the 15th amendment in 1870 didn't include gender.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending