The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster accomodation!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Milky Milk
I went to an open day and there weren't any accommodation brochures at all. There was a double sided sheet regarding colleges but no help regarding accommodation. There are also no photos on the website of even the outside of each building - if I didn't go to an open day I wouldn't have seen what each building looked like (and that was just on the outside) you can't exactly ask for entry into someones room. And keep in mind that a lot of people can't go to open days especially if they live far away or have other commitments.

I don't think you need to get sarcastic about the situation, he was just stating the lack of information given about something as important as the on campus accommodation and I agree. He does however need to visit the place and ask questions regarding it yet it's not entirely his fault in my opinion.

To be fair, that is no different to when I applied in 2008. There is the information on the website and in the prospectus. That's pretty much it. It was the same at the other four universities I applied to. Lancaster was no worse than anywhere else. :smile:

Don't worry about it too much. Every room on campus has the basics that you will need. Bed, desk, wardrobe, lighting, bathroom and kitchen facilities. Whatever type of accommodation you end up in will be absolutely fine.

I know it can feel stressful, especially when you are moving away from home for the first time, but just enjoy it. Think of the basics. Standard, townhouse or ensuite? Central campus or south west? The cost per week and the length of contract... All these things are available on the website. You don't really need to worry about anything more. :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 21
I went to an open day and there weren't any accommodation brochures at all. There was a double sided sheet regarding colleges but no help regarding accommodation. There are also no photos on the website of even the outside of each building - if I didn't go to an open day I wouldn't have seen what each building looked like (and that was just on the outside) you can't exactly ask for entry into someones room. And keep in mind that a lot of people can't go to open days especially if they live far away or have other commitments.

I don't think you need to get sarcastic about the situation, he was just stating the lack of information given about something as important as the on campus accommodation and I agree. He does however need to visit the place and ask questions regarding it yet it's not entirely his fault in my opinion.

Just as another pointer - the photos on the lancaster accomodation facebook group seem to be the best out of everywhere. Photos of every room, in every college. Pretty well hidden really, but they're good. :smile:
http://www.facebook.com/LUAccommodation
Definately true, my insurance doesn't have any pictures regarding accommodation either.

I've already chosen my accomodation and I am feeling a little worried. I chose them mainly because I liked the look and feel of both accomodation and college (County Townhouse/Grizedale Ensuite) as opposed to contract length and price. However I just did some working out and have found that I'd be left with £55 per week in both after rent/charges have been paid which I have no problem with at all.

The only thing I am worried about is getting a place in either one :redface:

Yeah, that is quite a nice some of money to have left over. :smile:
I've had about £30 each week after mine but I had a job this year so I could spend a bit more. £55 is definitely doable though, with at least a weekly trip to the Carleton included. :biggrin:
That's a reall helpful page, I've not seen it before. People should really be aware of it. I have already made my accommodation decision, but thanks for posting it! :h:

Great!
I'm going to guess that the Carleton is a club/pub? :tongue:

Carleton is the club! :biggrin:

Wednesday nights. In Morecambe. [Buses from campus/town are provided there and back.]

Cheesy. A little bit grotty. Definitely a place to go to drunk. You don't want to be there sober lol!

But, a brilliant night out if you are with the right people. :biggrin:
Haha, does The Sugarhouse not cut it as the club then? :tongue:

Looking forward to it though!
You mentioned how you had a job right? Did you ever find it restricted you from social things? I'd prefer to try and get a job personally but I don't want to have to miss out of things i.e nights out due to early morning shifts :rolleyes:

Depends on the individual. I personally hate the Sugarhouse. Went a fair few times in first and second year but haven't bothered this year at all. I know some people though who love it. The Carleton is good fun with the right group of people and I've always had an amazing time. Fair enough, I am normally still drunk the following day but my point stands lol. Yet, at the same time, some people hate the Carleton. It's a matter of personal preference. :smile:

The shifts you do will depend on the type of job you get and where you get it. I worked late shifts during the week [until 11pm] and all day Saturday. It did mean that I couldn't go drinking on a Friday night say but that didn't bother me. This year has been very heavy-going course work wise and I still went out to the places I've always liked [such as Lounge]. :smile:
I have no idea why that person was making sarcastic remarks. Lol. All I stated was their were no accommodation brochures sent out?! That was it. It actually turns out I didn't need it since I've been doing my own research on here, found the Lancaster Residences fb page etc. Although, I have one thing to say about the open day..we were only shown one type of room -superior ensuite. I can kinda understand that it may be troublesome but could have been something useful.

That is all. No need for sarcasm and gnarly digs.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mombasa Raha
I have no idea why that person was making sarcastic remarks. Lol. All I stated was their were no accommodation brochures sent out?! That was it. It actually turns out I didn't need it since I've been doing my own research on here, found the Lancaster Residences fb page etc. Although, I have one thing to say about the open day..we were only shown one type of room -superior ensuite. I can kinda understand that it may be troublesome but could have been something useful.

That is all. No need for sarcasm and gnarly digs.

It is quite common to only be shown one room. The only except I had when I applied [when I attended 12 open days] was Bangor, where they showed us two.
They don't always show the superior ensuite room. If your tour guide lives on campus, they often show their own room - whatever type that might be. :smile:

And, I am sure the poster didn't mean any harm. It is a stressful time of year for everyone. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
It is quite common to only be shown one room. The only except I had when I applied [when I attended 12 open days] was Bangor, where they showed us two.
They don't always show the superior ensuite room. If your tour guide lives on campus, they often show their own room - whatever type that might be. :smile:

And, I am sure the poster didn't mean any harm. It is a stressful time of year for everyone. :smile:

Oh OK, I see. I haven't really visited many unis :s-smilie:

I actually missed my post-offer visit day :rolleyes: So I had to go to a generic visit day :tongue: which wasn't so bad though lol met some awesome people..their was just a talk about lancaster and the 'lancaster experience' and then a short tour of campus + tour of a furness (I think) superior ensuite. The girl who took us round was in Lonsdale though, although we never got to see Alexandra Park haha. I went around the campus for a bit after though..even had a pizza at Sultans with the peeps I met - quite nice pizza I must say!

Looking forward to starting! especially the Lake District. I can't wait to do some mountain biking there! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
That's a reall helpful page, I've not seen it before. People should really be aware of it. I have already made my accommodation decision, but thanks for posting it! :h:

Great!
I'm going to guess that the Carleton is a club/pub? :tongue:

this page is linked in the Campus Photos thread. I mean, if people wanna find photos and they see a thread named 'Campus Photos' and they click on it. they can then see all the links to different places with photos.

this is not a personal dig at you but its difficult to advertise it much more tbh.
Reply 29
Original post by Emmorz
I remember last year everyone was panicking too! Some got there emails early some got theres later, its not first come first serve dont worry!

I hope so, I got my email ages ago but havent had time to sort it out!
Reply 30
I haven't ever thoroughly viewed the thread as I kind of always knew where I wanted to go - so that'd probably be why I missed it :h:

Although I did get prescribed with glasses the other day ... that has nothing to do with it however.. :ninja:

hahaha. well ive edited the thread now. with some big red writing that might make the whole thing more clear :s-smilie:
Reply 31
Hi, do you know if county college basic-ensuite has a lounge area, i'm pretty sure that it will have a cleaner. Where are you all hoping to stay in colleges?
Reply 32
Original post by Stamford
Hi, do you know if county college basic-ensuite has a lounge area, i'm pretty sure that it will have a cleaner. Where are you all hoping to stay in colleges?

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have a lounge area, and does have a cleaner. Superior-basic does have a lounge area, I think. :s-smilie:

And oh Carleton, what a place.
Reply 33

I don't really want to argue over something as subjective as this.

I have a 35 page long book entitled "Colleges and Accommodation The 2010 Guide". Okay, so it's a year out, I still got it. It was still useful. I also have the resident's handbook 2009/2010.
The website is actually pretty detailed. It may not have the clearest navigation system but I personally found it pretty useful and found most of what I needed.

Bear in mind that many people do not apply to Lancaster as their first/second choice. They are therefore not going to send out leaflets and books to every single accepted applicant. It's futile to expect any university to do so.

To be honest, I'm a good 5 hours away from Lancaster, in the quickest mode of transport I can take. I have done the journey for the open day and post offer day so I don't think many people can preach about finding it difficult to get there. If you can't, the Psychology Dept emailed me, offering to send any information I needed in the post.

Ask and ye shall receive.
Reply 34
Original post by Bleak Lemming
what u studyin' ?? im nosey :P

Lol... I'm Studying Mathematics.. Masters (I say Mathematics and Masters cuz it makes it sound cooler! lol) but what you studying? and are you gone go to the Uni as well? :cool:
Original post by Ehsan007
Lol... I'm Studying Mathematics.. Masters (I say Mathematics and Masters cuz it makes it sound cooler! lol) but what you studying? and are you gone go to the Uni as well? :cool:

Physics... Masters ;D.. Start part time in October for two years and then move to Lancaster straight into year 2 in 2013.. seems so far away but i'm earning decent money at the minute so might as well reap the rewards of that for a couple more years whilst I study :] (gives me a chance to save a bit for uni.. plus I wanna do a 64 day trek america trip which is gonna cost me £8,000 :l )
Reply 36
i am so confused about colleges :/
i have no idea what college i want?? i want ensuite and i prefrably want a common room in the flat cause i want to get to know people? i have heard county is over subscribed every year so that puts me off cause i do want to get my preference and i have heard flyde and lonsdale are really sporty even though i dont mind sports i dont want to be in an apartment full of people who love sports, i really want to be with like minded people haha? any help would be great x
Reply 37
Original post by elyse2011
i am so confused about colleges :/
i have no idea what college i want?? i want ensuite and i prefrably want a common room in the flat cause i want to get to know people? i have heard county is over subscribed every year so that puts me off cause i do want to get my preference and i have heard flyde and lonsdale are really sporty even though i dont mind sports i dont want to be in an apartment full of people who love sports, i really want to be with like minded people haha? any help would be great x

every college is the same and not one college is more sporty or more anything than the next. Each flat has atleast a kitchen which is generally the hub of the flat. and treated as a common room despite not having comfy seats. it really is fine.
Reply 38
Original post by mackemforever
Now, what I was going to say about costs.

I'm in Cartmel En-suite, 36 week let, and my payments have been as follows:

1st term - £1176.00
2nd term - £1176.12
3rd term - £1142.93

So if you're taking a 40 week let then add about £130 onto each terms payment.

The problem that me and quite a few other people I know had is that the payments for accommodation are structured differently to your student finance loans. If you're intending to use your maintenance loan (and you're on the minimum loan) then you get less money in the first term than you owe, about equal in the second, and more in the third. This means that you need to be given a credit on your account, although the Uni are usually happy to do so.

My point is that you won't struggle to pay the accommodation, even if you can't pay it according to the schedule they set you can get them to extend it without a problem.

Hope I've helped a bit, if you've got any other questions just ask, I'll be happy to answer them. After all, this is keeping me away from revision and I'm quite happy with that :tongue:

I've just applied for Cartmel accommodation. Do you enjoy being in Cartmel? Advantages and disadvantages? I hated having to make the decision about colleges so I'm hoping I've made the right one!
Original post by fiona_1508
I've just applied for Cartmel accommodation. Do you enjoy being in Cartmel? Advantages and disadvantages? I hated having to make the decision about colleges so I'm hoping I've made the right one!

I like the fact that it isn't right in the middle of campus, that the accommodation is all shiney and new, that the bar isn't really a bar, more a lounge that does drinks so you can go and relax while having a social pint with a few mates and there are plenty of nice grassy areas for when the weather is good.

Things I don't like, if you get unlucky with your lectures (like I have) and have lectures at the far end of campus it takes almost 15 minutes to walk there, the accommodation is expensive and the college events are a bit crap.

Quick Reply

Latest