The Student Room Group

How should a 16 year old act?

Well, I'm 16 now and people tell me I'm so lucky and should make use of it. But how? What should I do? Everyone tells me I'm so mature for my age and most people take me for being in my 20s. It's good in a way but even my family think I'm older than most people on TV and stuff. It's just that I feel as if I've wasted my childhood as I've always been the 'old' one and 'mature'. How can people say I'm older than most 18/20 year olds on television. That really depresses me. How should a 16 year old act?..........

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1) Drink

2) Party

3) Sex

In that order.
Reply 2
Go get pissed down the park and smoke weed to teh early hours.

Y'know. That sorta stuff.
Reply 3
Well, nowadays, most 16 year old girls are utter whores... So not like a whore I suppose?
Reply 4
Yeah, none of those :hmpf: I mean, how can I cherish these years so I don't regret it when I'm older?
Reply 5
Put the knitting down. :naughty:
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah, none of those :hmpf: I mean, how can I cherish these years so I don't regret it when I'm older?

You've already been told - drink, party sex.
Reply 7
However you want. Don't act in a way just because society tells you you should, be yourself and do what you enjoy doing.
Reply 8
Original post by Don'tNod
Put the knitting down. :naughty:

LOL, I can't knit...
Reply 9
A politer way to put it is enjoy new experiences.

Though you should do what feel normal to you, because regardless of the teenage stereotype, trying to be something you're not can end up counter-productive.
Reply 10
every single 15/16 year old girl says she is mature for her own age so maybe we should take that as the new standard.

anyway, do what you want while staying out of danger. or throw yourself into danger if that's how you roll.
Reply 11
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
You've already been told - drink, party sex.

lol, this made me laugh
Reply 12
Drugs sex and rock and roll.
After your gcses you have the best summer as you have no pressure, so just do loads of fun things - picnics, trips to the zoo, days out.
Reply 14
It depends. Do you want to act how a 16 year old should act, or do you want to act like other 16 year olds act? There's a massive difference.

I've been in your position for a long time now, OP. I'm making up for lost immaturity at university though :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by hellobonjour
After your gcses you have the best summer as you have no pressure, so just do loads of fun things - picnics, trips to the zoo, days out.

Yes, this is what 16 year olds do :rofl:
Original post by B-Man.
Yes, this is what 16 year olds do :rofl:

If you actually looked at what she had said she was asking for ideas aside from sex, drinking and drugs. Maybe you just have a boring life and need the wild side to liven it up, but it's a lot more exciting when you do things like that and especially when the weather is warm it is really pleasant with a big group of friends. Heathen.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by hellobonjour

Great answer!
Reply 18

Well, I'm 16 now and people tell me I'm so lucky and should make use of it. But how? What should I do? Everyone tells me I'm so mature for my age and most people take me for being in my 20s. It's good in a way but even my family think I'm older than most people on TV and stuff. It's just that I feel as if I've wasted my childhood as I've always been the 'old' one and 'mature'. How can people say I'm older than most 18/20 year olds on television. That really depresses me. How should a 16 year old act?..........

It sounds like you want meaning in your life. Some people would turn to religion, others would choose a constructive hobby (maybe a musical instrument), others would do some volunteer work at an old agee home or something like that.
Whatever you choose, ignore everyone who sugests being immoral and living for the present. Do things you will not regret in 30 years time, things which give you a feeling of self-worth and of meaning.
Good luck!
Original post by Roo Bix
because regardless of the teenage stereotype, trying to be something you're not can end up counter-productive.

I think it all really comes down to this. It's not so much that to be seen as less of the perfect, 'mature' 16 year old you need to start painting the town red, because that might just not be who you are, and living a lie for any reason always ends in depression to be honest. So rather than going to any extremes, maybe just 'experiment' a little and see what makes you happy.

For an example, you can start going out to parties and events with people you know, still drink a little, but not overdo it. That'll gradually help expand on some of the social life you may be missing out on, basically just getting out there, having fun but with people you're comfortable with. If you can't find any events, ask friends who might know, check Facebook, check out places around your town which advertise events on the walls. If that doesn't float your boat, really just follow whatever interests you, and you'll probably find the right ways to 'cherish' your teenage years. At the end of the day, it's not really about doing anything wild, just enjoying it the way you want to!