The Student Room Group

GCSE Students - What subjects will you take for A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by snow leopard
Interesting, Pre U? Is that something your school offers or is it private entry?

It is something my school offers, you have to take it for two years (t is all based on two exams on the end of those years) and you get graded like uni (D1 D2 D3 M1 M2 M3). We don't get the choice, as I would of preferred A-level and you can drop it after one year if you don't like it!
Original post by danb_nhkn
Go for German, even if you drop it at A2 knowing another language is always helpful :smile:

I'm definitely only taking over my first 3 over to A2 (at least I think I am at this point!)... I'm in two minds because economics would be a straightforward subject that I wouldn't worry about, but German would be oh so useful... :s-smilie:
just finished my 4 AS'

people who plan to do 5 AS' - they have no idea how time consuming a level is...
English Lit, Maths, Psychology and hopefully German if my school decides to offer it :tongue: if not then I'll do biology instead :smile:
Reply 284
Original post by Mr Young
Maybe see if you can study a subject on your own and take the exam privately. Uni places are getting competitive and if you only have 3 "solid" A-Levels, you are at a very big disadvantage in my opinion. Your school shouldn't do that. It's unfair to pupils like you.

Oh dear, really? I heard most uni offers only required three subjects, e.g. AAA, but I think I'll mention it! I hate that my school only cares about results tables *sigh*
Reply 285
Original post by georgeflynn
just finished my 4 AS'

people who plan to do 5 AS' - they have no idea how time consuming a level is...

may i ask what subjects you did and whether you found them enjoyable and what grades you got in them for gcse :smile:
Reply 286
Original post by scratcher
A Levels= Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Physics, CHemistry

GCSEs= okay, probably get 7A*s 3As or 6A*s and 4As (not that good, but I go to a crap state school)

Hoping to study at Cambridge,

How about you? Hows yours going?

Why 5? Further maths is not accepted as an A level for medicine when maths is there. Is it just a personal interest?

It can't be that bad, doesn't seem that bad to me!

Yeah mine are going okay thanks, just hoping 5A*s but it's not the end of the world if I don't get them :smile:
Original post by georgeflynn
just finished my 4 AS'

Depends on the person. Some people here are willing to sacrifice parts of summer and a few hours on the weekend. It is manageable if you are organized.
Reply 288
Maths, History, Economics and Music (to AS)

as well as General Studies and Critical Thinking AS. :mad2:
Reply 289
English Literature, Classical Civilisation, Geography and Maths :smile:
Original post by gravitationalpull
Good luck! :smile: x

Thank you soo much!!!! you too!! Any ideas on what you will do after A levels?!
Original post by fletchdd02
Why 5? Further maths is not accepted as an A level for medicine when maths is there. Is it just a personal interest?

It can't be that bad, doesn't seem that bad to me!

Yeah mine are going okay thanks, just hoping 5A*s but it's not the end of the world if I don't get them :smile:

I don't understand why it isn't accepted. It's probably because there isn't that much Maths involved in Medicine :s-smilie:
Original post by Hdizzle
may i ask what subjects you did and whether you found them enjoyable and what grades you got in them for gcse :smile:

this year i did English Lit, History, Geography and Psychology

overall, my gcse's weren't great - ABBBBBBCCCCC

history gcse though got an A, english lit C, geography B and didn't do psycholoy at gcse

i would advise anyone who is thinking of doing 5 - it's better to have 4 really good AS levels than 5 average A levels. you honestly do not need 5.

a typical offer from a uni for example would be AAB (lets just say) at A2. you only need 4 AS and 3 A2 really

what are you interested in doing Hdizzle at AS
Reply 293
Original post by AspiringDoctor
I'm definitely only taking over my first 3 over to A2 (at least I think I am at this point!)... I'm in two minds because economics would be a straightforward subject that I wouldn't worry about, but German would be oh so useful... :s-smilie:

Well do what all great minds do when stuck between two choices...
flip a coin :biggrin:
Accountancy
Law
Economics
Applied Business. :}
Reply 295
Original post by KiwiBerry
Oh dear, really? I heard most uni offers only required three subjects, e.g. AAA, but I think I'll mention it! I hate that my school only cares about results tables *sigh*

you are absolutely correct.However. let's take King's College as an example. To be able to do law, you need A*/A/A in A2 and A in AS. So if you take critical thinking and drop at A2, seen as it is blacklisted they will only really consider the A*/A/A and not your AS. putting you at a disadvantage against other candidates.

However, if you get A*/A*/A* in your A2, or even A*/A*/A and get an A in critical thinking AS, it should be fine.... just the overall points and grades I guess.
Original post by jamespaton
Accountancy
Law
Economics
Applied Business. :}

Some of those subjects are black listed by the way. I know Accountancy and Applied Business are. Swap them for Maths and English instead. My opinion.
Psychology
Biology
Law
Drama
:smile:
Reply 298
english language, french, psychology and graphic communication :biggrin:
Original post by danb_nhkn
Well do what all great minds do when stuck between two choices...
flip a coin :biggrin:

Haha :tongue: I'm just going to see which I do better at GCSE I suppose... if I come out with the same grade then... well, I really don't know :biggrin:
What are you taking?

Quick Reply

Latest