The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

yes
Reply 2
Oh come off it, you're just looking for an example of some sort of discrimination. He is a genius, but he is also overrated, perhaps because people's perception of him is clouded by his disability. What he has achieved is remarkable, yet still very much in the realm of theoretical science, while other people make discoveries and inventions that can help the world on a more mundane, day-to-day basis. These are the people who deserve Noble Prizes.
he may be clever but he cant walk. id rather walk then be clever,
einstein did not get his prize for relativity (instead, the photo electric effect) because it was not readily accepted. only when hawking's theories become widely accepted as fact will he get his due. edward witten has done the same caliber of crazy theoretical physics but his work is to far out to be considered at this time. however, like einstein, they will both get their due when the rest of the world catches up to their ideas.

really, nobel prizes are given when people find something new or when someone else finds something they predicted. neither has happened for hawking, yet.
no, it's not because he is hadicapped, or because he isn't smart enough. i will quote Dr Henry "Fritz" Schaefer III from the website www.evidenceforchristianity.org:

"Hawking is certainly the most famous physicist in history who has not won the Nobel Prize. This has puzzled people. They automatically assume he has won the Nobel Prize. He has not yet. This is because the Swedish Royal Academy demands that an award-winning discovery must be supported by verifiable experimental or observational evidence. Hawking's work, to date, remains unproved. The mathematics of his theory, however, are certainly beautiful and elegant. Science is just beginning to verify the existence of black holes, let alone verify "Hawking radiation" or any of his more radical theoretical proposals."

the direct link to the article this quote is taken from is this:

http://www.evidenceforchristianity.org/Libary/Articles/God/hawkingbigbanggod.htm
Reply 6
Unregistered
no, it's not because he is hadicapped, or because he isn't smart enough. i will quote Dr Henry "Fritz" Schaefer III from the website www.evidenceforchristianity.org:

"Hawking is certainly the most famous physicist in history who has not won the Nobel Prize. This has puzzled people. They automatically assume he has won the Nobel Prize. He has not yet. This is because the Swedish Royal Academy demands that an award-winning discovery must be supported by verifiable experimental or observational evidence. Hawking's work, to date, remains unproved. The mathematics of his theory, however, are certainly beautiful and elegant. Science is just beginning to verify the existence of black holes, let alone verify "Hawking radiation" or any of his more radical theoretical proposals."

the direct link to the article this quote is taken from is this:

http://www.evidenceforchristianity.org/Libary/Articles/God/hawkingbigbanggod.htm

Has ne1 read his book a brief history of time, I'm halway through it, it's an amazingly well writen book, though v confusing at times. it's worth reading if you get the time, but it is heavy reading.

Phil
Reply 7
how cruel...next nobel prize winner..Stephen Hawking...oh wait he can't walk scratch idea

CR
Reply 8
There are hundreds of physicists more deserving of a Nobel prize than Hawking. His contributions toward cosmology are minute. He is only famous because he has written a mediocre but well marketed and publicised book; and he fits into many people's stereotype's as what a genius should be like.
seems to be that you pple are prejudicing him. just because hes disable doesnt mean he doesnt deserve to win a nobel prize. what the point of winning a nobel prize after he die?

bloodhound
Reply 10
bloodhound
I mean, he has done great deals to out understanding of space and time. surely he must deserve a nobel prize in Physics, or astronomy, maybe eben a field medal for mathematics.

is it because he is disabled??

or even a 'best upcoming hiphop artist' award
bloodhound
I mean, he has done great deals to out understanding of space and time. surely he must deserve a nobel prize in Physics, or astronomy, maybe eben a field medal for mathematics.

is it because he is disabled??

they always give prizes years after the discovery or theory is first formed, anything from 10 to 25 years really
J
Reply 12
What happened to Bush and Blair for the nomination of the Nobel Peace Prize? There was a thread about it I think..
i thought Mr Hawking had a thread already

surely he isn't deserving of 2
Reply 14
sillynarb2
i thought Mr Hawking had a thread already

surely he isn't deserving of 2

the great man he is, he is deserving of 10
Reply 15
Hawking isnt a genius, and hes done hardly anything in helping people understand space and time. Why not find out what hes discovered or what hes achieved before you start hailing him as the next Einstein. Hes certainly not worth of a Nobel Prize.
MC Hawking
the great man he is, he is deserving of 10

not that you want to blow your own trumpet mr Hawking
Reply 17
imasillynarb
Hawking isnt a genius, and hes done hardly anything in helping people understand space and time. Why not find out what hes discovered or what hes achieved before you start hailing him as the next Einstein. Hes certainly not worth of a Nobel Prize.

einstein who? what have you discovered that makes you able to decide whether i get a nobel prize or not?
MC Hawking
einstein who? what have you discovered that makes you able to decide whether i get a nobel prize or not?

the cure for mahsshdhdditis actualy, i'masillynarb is a well respected scientist I have you know
Reply 19
sillynarb2
the cure for mahsshdhdditis actualy, i'masillynarb is a well respected scientist I have you know

Told hardcore, innit rudeboi!

Latest