The Student Room Group

The Cider Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by superwolf
What's base spirit, just generic alcohol? It sounds intoxicating.

Holy ****, why didn't I think of apple and elderflower? That's going on the list for certain. :yy: Pear and vanilla sounds good too - would you use a vanilla pod or just mix in some extract?

It is basically a plain alcohol which is at about 23% in my case. I then distilled it up to 70-85 depending on what part of the run it was. That was literally a vodka (a plain spirit) I could then do with it what I wanted...

Ps. Distilling is illegal, I do not condone etc etc
Reply 41
Original post by Huskaris
It is basically a plain alcohol which is at about 23% in my case. I then distilled it up to 70-85 depending on what part of the run it was. That was literally a vodka (a plain spirit) I could then do with it what I wanted...

Ps. Distilling is illegal, I do not condone etc etc

Sounds good. Did you ever try infusing fruit into it, something along the lines of sloe gin or slivovitz? Or lemon and raspberries... :drool:

It sounds like fun, but I imagine you need a lot more proper equipment - for my cider I just use fizzy drinks bottles and a funnel. Plus of course I would never do anything illegal. :angel:
Reply 42
All you need is a water purifier. Methanol (poison) becomes gas at (something like I cant remember) 88 degrees, ethanol 89 and water 100. So when it goes through distillation, get rid of the first bit and keep the rest.
Entire setup can cost a few hundred though.

I infused it with anything. I made Schnapps and my own version of Jagermeister.. Surprisingly well haha.
Reply 43
All you need is a water purifier. Methanol (poison) becomes gas at (something like I cant remember) 88 degrees, ethanol 89 and water 100. So when it goes through distillation, get rid of the first bit and keep the rest.
Entire setup can cost a few hundred though.

I infused it with anything. I made Schnapps and my own version of Jagermeister.. Surprisingly well haha.

Aww, don't even tempt me. What do you do with the methanol, can you just pour it down the drain? Or do you have a stack of corpses buried in your basement? :tongue:
Reply 44
Aww, don't even tempt me. What do you do with the methanol, can you just pour it down the drain? Or do you have a stack of corpses buried in your basement? :tongue:

What I tended to do was take it outside and light it. One of the most amazing things you have never seen... Literally you can't... It is an invisible flame, all you can see is the heatwaves. Some funny stories about people lighting it, not realising it was on fire and various injuries/incidents happening as a result... Basically I take the first 20-50 mls of every distiller run and get rid of it... And then there's no problems :biggrin:
Reply 45
What's base spirit, just generic alcohol? It sounds intoxicating.

Holy ****, why didn't I think of apple and elderflower? That's going on the list for certain. :yy: Pear and vanilla sounds good too - would you use a vanilla pod or just mix in some extract?

Definitely a vanilla pod. Maybe try it with half first though. As the will get very strong if being left to infuse for 2 weeks.
Reply 46
What I tended to do was take it outside and light it. One of the most amazing things you have never seen... Literally you can't... It is an invisible flame, all you can see is the heatwaves. Some funny stories about people lighting it, not realising it was on fire and various injuries/incidents happening as a result... Basically I take the first 20-50 mls of every distiller run and get rid of it... And then there's no problems :biggrin:

I said don't tempt me. :frown: But you keep talking about poisons and invisible flames and all kinds of incredibly cool stuff... No fair!

Original post by GQ.
Definitely a vanilla pod. Maybe try it with half first though. As the will get very strong if being left to infuse for 2 weeks.

I'll probably use half a pod halfway through brewing, that way it won't be too strong. Or I could make vanilla sugar and use that, but I suspect the flavour wouldn't be quite strong enough in that case. :holmes:
Reply 47
I said don't tempt me. :frown: But you keep talking about poisons and invisible flames and all kinds of incredibly cool stuff... No fair!

I'll probably use half a pod halfway through brewing, that way it won't be too strong. Or I could make vanilla sugar and use that, but I suspect the flavour wouldn't be quite strong enough in that case. :holmes:

How much will you be making at one time?
Reply 48
Original post by GQ.
How much will you be making at one time?

Two or three litres most likely.
Reply 49
Two or three litres most likely.

Yea I reckon half a pod will suffice as that will give you a subtle flavour and not something that is overpowering.
Reply 50
Original post by zedbrar
You get my approval :h: Been drinking the stella artois cider today. First time trying it. It seems to be too much a strongbow copy tbh :s-smilie:

its see - dra, remember. :rolleyes:

well, whatever it's called, its far and away the worst cider I have ever tasted.
Urrrrgh the cider you can but in those huge bottles from any old store :afraid:

Also, supermarkets' own brands of cider smell (and taste) like fermented piss. :puke:
I approve! Gonna get me some zider tonight I think.
There's nothing more satisfying than that first sip of cider after an extremely long, boiling hot day. It's the simple things like that. :wink:
I have some Kopparbergs in my fridge right now, I am going to go to TOWN on them tonight :teeth:
Original post by Delta_Aitch
I have some Kopparbergs in my fridge right now, I am going to go to TOWN on them tonight :teeth:

Pear?
Original post by LiamTheKook
Pear?

Standard. None of the other come in a muti-pack ...yet :colone:

They don't taste as great from a can, though :sad:
got about 85 pints of cider (70 now!) that we made from apples from a friend's orchard. Soo much nicer than anything you can buy :smile:

Do you know the traditional way of working out when your scrumpy is ready?

Spoiler

Original post by Delta_Aitch
Standard. None of the other come in a muti-pack ...yet :colone:

They don't taste as great from a can, though :sad:

You're right there. Would love one right now, but unfortunately cider and an exam tomorrow morning probably don't bode well. Fortunately, a long summer will more than make up for it.
Reply 59
I love cider. Also here's a trick my friend told me about and one which I now love myself it's called Poor man's kopperberg. Basically get any old normal cider (I myself usually go the cheap crap :laugh: ) then add some summer fruit squash to it and you have a drink that taste's exactly the same or at least very similar to Summer Fruit's kopperberg for much cheaper :grin:

Quick Reply

Latest