The Student Room Group

2012 Applications with BTEC ?

First post :smile:

I've been looking at a lot of university entry requirements recently and I have come to realise that I am under a great disadvantage by not having an A level maths qualification under my belt :frown: Is anybody else in this situation and if you are what universities have you been looking at ?

Personally these look like the most viable universities in terms of accepting BTECs and ranking (tables/reputation) IMO:

Bath (offers placement year) - Requires DDD w/ GCSE Maths at grade A
Sussex - Requires DDM w/ GCSE Maths at grade B
Nottingham - Requires DDM w/ GCSE Maths at grade B
Lancaster (offers placement year) - Requires DDM w/ GCSE English/Maths at grade C
Newcastle (offers placement year) - Considered individually, im guessing ~DDM w/ GCSE Maths at grade B

My prospective grades are DDD in my diploma and I have an A* in GCSE maths, which of these universities do you think would be my best bets ?

Thanks in advance for any help.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by FinalMH
King's or Nottingham or Birmingham? all russell group university, doesn't your BTEC also include D*?

I turned down offers from Nottingham, Lancaster and Sussex :L and i applied in 2011 :smile:

I must warn people with BTECs now, do not try Birmingham unless you absolutly must, our tutor has already warned us it will be a waste of a choice :tongue: Why? Well, she's been argueing with them for a while now about it, but apparently, they highly disfavour any BTEC students, at least for CompSci. You need be able to show them that you are perfect to the course (over all the other applications), and even then, if they do think about considering you, they generally hold off interviews for BTECs until all the A level students have been offered places. Over the past few years, she only knows of 1 student who applied with a BTEC and got an interview (at the interview they impressed them so much, they got the place though.)

Meanwhile, i'm in the same boat as you in trying to decide where to apply to, or even, if I even will go to university now. Got a B in maths myself, and currently doing a BTEC in software development
Reply 2
Original post by Fenrirs_space
I must warn people with BTECs now, do not try Birmingham unless you absolutly must, our tutor has already warned us it will be a waste of a choice :tongue: Why? Well, she's been argueing with them for a while now about it, but apparently, they highly disfavour any BTEC students, at least for CompSci. You need be able to show them that you are perfect to the course (over all the other applications), and even then, if they do think about considering you, they generally hold off interviews for BTECs until all the A level students have been offered places. Over the past few years, she only knows of 1 student who applied with a BTEC and got an interview (at the interview they impressed them so much, they got the place though.)

Meanwhile, i'm in the same boat as you in trying to decide where to apply to, or even, if I even will go to university now. Got a B in maths myself, and currently doing a BTEC in software development

:eek:o no i m not choosing i finished choosing i have my offers LOL

I would disagree with that statement you made though, i know 3 people on tsr who have had offers from Birmingham who didn't even attend no interview! It just depends if you stand out i suppose compare to our A level count parts. If you dont apply you never know! and i come from college who only 5 people apply to university in the UK :smile:

:redface: my firm choices is King's College London anyways :smile:
Original post by FinalMH
:eek:o no i m not choosing i finished choosing i have my offers LOL

I would disagree with that statement you made though, i know 3 people on tsr who have had offers from Birmingham who didn't even attend no interview! It just depends if you stand out i suppose compare to our A level count parts. If you dont apply you never know! and i come from college who only 5 people apply to university in the UK :smile:

:redface: my firm choices is King's College London anyways :smile:

Um suppose yeah. Sadley, with a B in GCSE maths (knew I should've tried that little bit harder in the exam :frown: ) and looking at DDD in my BTEC (unless next year i can push myself enough to get the *'s) I probably wont be a standout case for them. Suppose you never know though... :tongue:

Any idea how Manchester, Bristol, Warwick, York and Cambridge (worth a check :tongue:) stand on BTECs?
Reply 4
Um suppose yeah. Sadley, with a B in GCSE maths (knew I should've tried that little bit harder in the exam :frown: ) and looking at DDD in my BTEC (unless next year i can push myself enough to get the *'s) I probably wont be a standout case for them. Suppose you never know though... :tongue:

Any idea how Manchester, Bristol, Warwick, York and Cambridge (worth a check :tongue:) stand on BTECs?

Hate them lol :L

All of the university you have mention are Math nuts! You never know but you will be up against people who have A level Maths. if i'm honest i don't think you have a chances at them universities, that's not to say its impossible though :smile:
Original post by FinalMH
Hate them lol :L

All of the university you have mention are Math nuts! You never know but you will be up against people who have A level Maths. if i'm honest i don't think you have a chances at them universities, that's not to say its impossible though :smile:

Um, yeah, suppose it could be worth at least having 2 of them as my options, in the hope :smile: Up until a month ago, I wasn't even sure if I wanted to go to Uni anyway. I guess being told by our college that our first deadline is mid september for applications got me thinking seriously :tongue: Otherwise the plan was to do a HND at my college/go on to work. Have always fancied the idea of uni though, but family members put me off it a few years back (blah blah blah).

So yeah, i guess either way i'm not too fussed if I dont get in to them (are there any others you may recommend for CompSci )?
Reply 6
Um, yeah, suppose it could be worth at least having 2 of them as my options, in the hope :smile: Up until a month ago, I wasn't even sure if I wanted to go to Uni anyway. I guess being told by our college that our first deadline is mid september for applications got me thinking seriously :tongue: Otherwise the plan was to do a HND at my college/go on to work. Have always fancied the idea of uni though, but family members put me off it a few years back (blah blah blah).

So yeah, i guess either way i'm not too fussed if I dont get in to them (are there any others you may recommend for CompSci )?

Their are loads i would recommend but it's just the fact of having a BTEC and only few good university accept them and their are only about 4 Russell group university that accept it.

And they have all been mention in this thread, just out of interest do you like maths?
Durham like btec students
Original post by FinalMH
Their are loads i would recommend but it's just the fact of having a BTEC and only few good university accept them and their are only about 4 Russell group university that accept it.

And they have all been mention in this thread, just out of interest do you like maths?

Yeah, a part of me regrets not taking A levels now, I just hated the whole exam based learning system :tongue: And I dont mind maths, not a huge fan of some things but otherwise I generally enjoy(ed) it :smile:
Reply 9

BS?
My mate applied to Bham with a BTEC and they gave him an offer it's not about impressing in the interviewer, just have a good PS.
Talking to him now he says he has:
4 C's and 1 B at GCSE (B in Maths) and is predicted DDD at BTEC.
If you get an interview you are pretty much in anyhow.
Im going this September.

DMM at BTEC ( I was ill for the last few months)

Aberystwyth University for Computer Science with a Year In Industry :smile:

Quick Reply