The Student Room Group

Tattoo Appreciation Soc. Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Jennie027
That's probably true :smile: I wouldn't have a clue what to get anyway and after a while I'd probably regret it!

Well, if you take the time to really consider what you want, I think you'd be less likely to. If you choose something you consider pretty, and that's personal to you, you're a lot less inclined to regret your decision, especially if it's taken you some time planning exactly what you'd like.

I think the problem is often that too many people make a decision on a tattoo in the spur of the moment, or very quickly. The amount of posts I've seen on Facebook from people saying "going to get a tattoo on Friday, what should I get?" is staggering. If someone's thought is just that they want a tattoo and they go into a tattooists and pick, essentially, a design off the wall then it's not all that surprising that they grow to regret it.

If you plan to get a tattoo, try and set a time that's at least a month or so away, as it'll give you real time to consider it and see if your mind changes. First of all, decide what you want by looking at other designs and designing your own or, if there's an image you really like somewhere, going with that. Then decide where you want it. Or, alternately, decide where you want it and then create/pick an image that suits that area of your body. If you also wear the temporary outline of the tattoo - the non-permanent stencil the tattooists gives you to put on the area you'll be getting the tattoo, which looks like a rudimentary outline of the tattoo - you'll get more of an idea if you could live with a tattoo in that position.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by zjs
Well, if you take the time to really consider what you want, I think you'd be less likely to. If you choose something you consider pretty, and that's personal to you, you're a lot less inclined to regret your decision, especially if it's taken you some time planning exactly what you'd like.

I think the problem is often that too many people make a decision on a tattoo in the spur of the moment, or very quickly. The amount of posts I've seen on Facebook from people saying "going to get a tattoo on Friday, what should I get?" is staggering. If someone's thought is just that they want a tattoo and they go into a tattooists and pick, essentially, a design off the wall then it's not all that surprising that they grow to regret it.

If you plan to get a tattoo, try and set a time that's at least a month or so away, as it'll give you real time to consider it and see if your mind changes. First of all, decide what you want by looking at other designs and designing your own or, if there's an image you really like somewhere, going with that. Then decide where you want it. Or, alternately, decide where you want it and then create/pick an image that suits that area of your body. If you also wear the temporary tattoo - the non-permanent thing the tattooists draws on the area you'll get the tattoo, and looks like a rudimentary outline of the tattoo, you'll get more of an idea if you could live with a tattoo in that position.

You're a wise panda. :wizard: That is exactly what I think.
Reply 62
I have 3 tattoos...2 small and one big. I'm waiting to have the big one coloured, but I totally love them! The small ones are very simple, but the big one is really detailed: I was worried that it was going to get ****ed up because of the concentration needed to not mess it up. Luckily though, I booked with a very talented artist. And the price was awesome! Best part of 2 hours for 80 quid. I'm currently planning a half sleeve, but I'm going to give myself the time needed to decide whether I want it for the rest of my life. Atm, I'm certain, but I wouldnt want it being a rash decision in hindsight.

As for the people saying 'What's that going to look like when you're 80??'...I don't think that looks will be my top priority at that age. I just want to make the most of what I have now: and if that means wanting a tattoo or 4, then so be it.

However, when I was waiting in the studio for my appointment, the number of people coming in asking for immediate appointments after flicking through the art books was absolutely shocking! They were mostly mothers and daughters....I hate it when mothers try to be 'hip' and 'cool' ...mutton dressed and acting like lamb isn't cool. I'd also hate to know that a tattoo design on my body was originally for someone else, and that hundreds, if not thousands of people already have that exact same tattoo design on their body.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by Delta_Aitch
You're a wise panda. :wizard: That is exactly what I think.

It just doesn't make sense to make a spur of the moment decision about something that'll stay on your skin for the rest of your life.

How long did you consider what you wanted before you got yours?
Original post by zjs

If you plan to get a tattoo, try and set a time that's at least a month or so away, as it'll give you real time to consider it and see if your mind changes. First of all, decide what you want by looking at other designs and designing your own or, if there's an image you really like somewhere, going with that. Then decide where you want it. Or, alternately, decide where you want it and then create/pick an image that suits that area of your body. If you also wear the temporary outline of the tattoo - the non-permanent stencil the tattooists gives you to put on the area you'll be getting the tattoo, which looks like a rudimentary outline of the tattoo - you'll get more of an idea if you could live with a tattoo in that position.

This is all true :smile: I see far too many people stating that they're getting a tattoo even the very next day and they don't know what to get. So I'm sure, especially as I'm like really organised, I'd have to sit and think about what tattoo to get even before I phoned the shop to get it done. Thank you for the advise and I'm sure if I decide I want one in the future I'll take everything you've said on board!
Original post by zjs
It just doesn't make sense to make a spur of the moment decision about something that'll stay on your skin for the rest of your life.

How long did you consider what you wanted before you got yours?

I was pouring over the idea for the better part of a year and a half, I think. I always knew what one of the basic components would be, but I had to decide on the symbol alongside it. And it took me ages to decide if it's what I really want because I'm a verrry flaky person and get bored with things so quickly.

But after a year, I knew it was what I wanted, so after Christmas, I booked myself in at this tattoo place near my uni and I haven't ever regretted it since.

And because it's on the base of my neck, I barely see it so I know I won't ever get bored with it. When I do see it (via reflections or from pictures and stuff) I fall in love with it all over again. :love:
I was pouring over the idea for the better part of a year and a half, I think. I always knew what one of the basic components would be, but I had to decide on the symbol alongside it. And it took me ages to decide if it's what I really want because I'm a verrry flaky person and get bored with things so quickly.

But after a year, I knew it was what I wanted, so after Christmas, I booked myself in at this tattoo place near my uni and I haven't ever regretted it since.

And because it's on the base of my neck, I barely see it so I know I won't ever get bored with it. When I do see it (via reflections or from pictures and stuff) I fall in love with it all over again. :love:

This is exactly where I want mine but I'm not getting it until I'm absolutely sure of what I want. It has to be small and some sort of small black symbol but I'm at a loss as to what it should be.

If I have to wait 10 years figuring it out then so be it. :smile:
Reply 67

Sounds very sensible. :yes: What did you get, in the end? :holmes:

Original post by I<3LAMP
This is exactly where I want mine but I'm not getting it until I'm absolutely sure of what I want. It has to be small and some sort of small black symbol but I'm at a loss as to what it should be.

Spoiler

Original post by silverbolt
Ive got four - i really want more but cant afford it.

excuse the wierd angles best i could do with upper arms adn a camera phone.

The bot and con symbols aside the artwork is completely origonal

transformers?
Original post by I<3LAMP

Haha yeah, mine's black too. I didn't want anything too fancy because I knew I would barely ever get the pleasure to see it with my own eyes - didn't want to give other people the privilege when I didn't have it! :sly:

:colondollar:

Tbh, my main decision was where to put it. I was always flitting between behind my ear (kind of going down my hairline), on the base of my neck and on my ankle/foot area. I was told by the tattoo artist that foot placement tats would need touch-ups sooner than most, so that put the ankle/foot out of the running.

Then it was just a case of which one was more discrete, tbh. The only time you can see my tattoo now is when I wear backless or lower-backed tops/dresses and stuff as it's so far down the base of my neck that is practically upper back/lower neck :h:
Original post by zjs

I got the ankh symbol with the eye of horus kind of cutting through it and a date written on the right of the whole thing going downwards.

Like:

Terrible description, but if you know what the symbols look like then it shouldn't be too hard to imagine :colondollar:

:wizard:
Original post by IPlayThePiccolo
transformers?

yep
I would like to get a tattoo but I'm going to take my time thinking of what to get as I don't want to get one I will regret in a few years. I'd also have to get one which can be covered by clothing as I don't want it to affect my job prospects.
Getting one..Soon enough :biggrin:
Reply 74
I've always wanted a tattoo, but I'd probably chicken out last minute and end up with some half tattoo thing, like Phoebe from friends with the 'dot'!
Original post by Jennie027
I have no tattoos but I think some look pretty and some that people go round with are just... well let's say I wouldn't personally have chosen them aha. I'd be scared of getting a tattoo because I'm scared of needles and what if the tattooist made a mistake O.o
I used to want a random star somewhere like my wrist or ankle or a ranom place aha but too many people have got stars these days :/ plus the career I want won't allow them on show.
Your tattoos are pretty tho OP :smile:

Funnily enough, I'm terrified of injections.. Like if I see it on TV or in a film I have to look away..

But I'm fine getting tattooed....
Original post by zjs

Spoiler

LOL errrr not quite what I'm looking for. :h:

Quite militant for my liking!
Haha yeah, mine's black too. I didn't want anything too fancy because I knew I would barely ever get the pleasure to see it with my own eyes - didn't want to give other people the privilege when I didn't have it! :sly:

:colondollar:

Tbh, my main decision was where to put it. I was always flitting between behind my ear (kind of going down my hairline), on the base of my neck and on my ankle/foot area. I was told by the tattoo artist that foot placement tats would need touch-ups sooner than most, so that put the ankle/foot out of the running.

Then it was just a case of which one was more discrete, tbh. The only time you can see my tattoo now is when I wear backless or lower-backed tops/dresses and stuff as it's so far down the base of my neck that is practically upper back/lower neck :h:

I also thought about behind the ear- I know two people who have theirs there and they look discreet and fabulous. I was a little apprehensive about behind the ear as I would most likely have my hair up at work. At least if it is on the neck your collar can hide it! I think I want mine covered by my hair but some tattoo parlours tend to refuse to ink your neck. I'll have to see. :smile:

I see foot tattoos often and for some reason I just don't like them- I'm also afraid of them going pale from the sun. :s-smilie:
Reply 78
I love tattoo's I have one on my shoulder but I don't have any pic's of it as it's awkward to get a photo of. I already want another one but I'm not getting it till one I decide what I want and 2 can actually afford it :laugh: . For my last one I tried designing my own but wasn't too happy with it so I looked through the books they had of their own designs in the shop and found one similar to my own design but much better which I still love :grin:
Original post by I<3LAMP
I also thought about behind the ear- I know two people who have theirs there and they look discreet and fabulous. I was a little apprehensive about behind the ear as I would most likely have my hair up at work. At least if it is on the neck your collar can hide it! I think I want mine covered by my hair but some tattoo parlours tend to refuse to ink your neck. I'll have to see. :smile:

I see foot tattoos often and for some reason I just don't like them- I'm also afraid of them going pale from the sun. :s-smilie:

Yeah, I don't think I ever would get a foot tattoo, tbh. I like the thought of the rest of my tattoos being on my back or side or something. Discreet :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest