The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

I would just like to point out that England only has two ancient universities, contrary to certain assertions that have been made. We all know which universities those are. No other university was built in England until the 19th century.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Bristol is incredibly well regarded by employers. Having been there and at a couple of other top universities I would agree that this is this the case. Whether this makes its 'prestigious', I don't know. What I do know is, is that Bris students have to be good to get in there given the high ratio of applicants to places. The same is, however, equally true of a number of other universities of similar ilk - Durham, Soton, KCL, Warwick etc.
Original post by therealOG
Ahhh, okay. Thanks for that. I thought Land Economy was historically a degree for wealthy landowners' sons to learn how to run their future estates.

There was actually some rhyme and reason behind it. Land Economy and geography were more degrees for intending Empire builders and sportsmen had the physical fitness required to be District Commissioners somewhere up the Zambesi.
Reply 203
Original post by TurboCretin
Can you give evidence? I'm not disputing your claim, but it would be good to see it supported.

Here's the link:
http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport11.pdf
The relevant table is on page 26

It's effectively a study that's done every year into Graduate Employers, and it focuses on how many graduates they take, starting salaries and growth in certain employment sectors, but there is a bit on how the Top 100 Grad Employers Target.

It's not necessarily a measure of prestige i.e. It doesn't breakdown which unis MMB, or Magic Cirles or BB Investment Banks target. And I'm not suggesting Warwick > Oxford by any means, however I think if you compare Universities which are generally accepted as being of a similar standard, e.g. Warwick, Bristol, Durham, St Andrews and maybe Bath and Nottingham you can get a good idea of where the Universities stand with regard to prestige in the job market relative to one another.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by georgeflynn
hmm, in terms of "prestigious" and "reputation"

it kinda goes like this...

Oxford/Cambridge
ICL
Warwick/St Andrews/Durham/ UCL/LSE

i mean at the end of the day each uni is better for different things e.g. surrey for engineering (so i have heard)
But at the end of the day they are the real thing, the "top dogs" as such

You must be having a laugh if you think all those 4 universities have the same reputation or prestige as LSE.
Original post by violenti
Where do you put Bristol in that mix. The large employers with signficant university marketing spend , tend not to recruit heavily(overall ) from St Andrews, and to a lesser extent Warwick expect for maths and economics graduates.York and Warwick are without doubt sound Universities, but sad as it is the larger employers still see them as NEW Universities, as opposed to ancient ones in which the category below are. The large law firms, management consultancies, investment banks, barristers chambers tend to recruit and focus their time in the following Universities in the main. In no particular order:

LSE
UCL
Imperial
Kings
Oxford
Cambridge
Bristol
Durham
Manchester

This poster gives a good league table based on prestige and also highlights prestigious recruiters' preferences.

http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-141689.0.html
Original post by LutherVan
You must be having a laugh if you think all those 4 universities have the same reputation or prestige as LSE.

for your information, i put them all in the same reason so people like you wouldn't troll me and have a go at me for suggesting warwick is better durham. therefore i did that to avoid arguments like this.

oh and i think you'll find st.andrews is because the guardian says st.andrews is 3rd and LSE is 4th, i know there are other leagues but it proves that i'm not having a laugh.
Original post by georgeflynn
for your information, i put them all in the same reason so people like you wouldn't troll me and have a go at me for suggesting warwick is better durham. therefore i did that to avoid arguments like this.

oh and i think you'll find st.andrews is because the guardian says st.andrews is 3rd and LSE is 4th, i know there are other leagues but it proves that i'm not having a laugh.

The guardian is a useless table.

If we are looking at prestige, LSE is only behind Oxbridge.
Reply 208
Original post by LutherVan
This poster gives a good league table based on prestige and also highlights prestigious recruiters' preferences.

http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-141689.0.html

except for that kcl has never been, and will never be, a top 10 uni
Original post by Focus08
except for that kcl has never been, and will never be, a top 10 uni

You really have an obsession with KCL. Don't you?
Original post by TheFoxBlip
Bristol, Durham, Exeter and Warwick all have delusions of being on a par with Oxbridge.

No they don't.
Original post by thesweatyfox
Yeahh, my dad always says that Warwick and Bristol are the Oxbridge rejects' club :beer:

This is what they claim to be. They don't delude themselves.
Reply 211
Original post by Patriot Rich
Bristol's the most competitive uni in the country (even more so than oxbridge), simply because people think it's the obvious next step below oxbridge

'Edinburgh receives approximately 47,000 applications every year, making it the third most popular university in the UK by volume of applicants.'
Hi,
I desperately need an informed opinion on Bristol v/s Bath v/s York:
Have received Uncon Offers from all three...MA International Security
Need to take a decioson urgently....am looking for
a) employability
b) Academics/ Research
Original post by marisha26dolly
Hi,
a) employability
b) Academics/ Research

In that order, Bristol, Bath, York.
Reply 214
Original post by marisha26dolly
Hi,
a) employability
b) Academics/ Research

Bath is higher in ranking and their placements help after graduation, but i dont like the city. City wise Bristol all the way, it is a great city.
Original post by TheFoxBlip
Bristol, Durham, Exeter and Warwick all have delusions of being on a par with Oxbridge.

That was not the question?
Original post by therealOG
Loooool this is the funniest thread I've come across in a while. Since when was Bristol regarded as the most prestigious university after Oxbridge?!? Peeps been smokin the ganga I must say

this^^^^
Original post by SpunkyVanDros
i really want to go to Bristol for uni but not sure what it's like to live there

Bristol is such a fun and amazing city! Theres so much to do and see. Clifton is a pretty area but it takes 10mins+ to walk to the main city. You don't need to base your accommodation preference on prettiness. I'd say base it on utility. Stoke Bishop has accommodation but you have to get a bus, otherwise is a 40min walk, which i don't think it worthwhile because I'd rather make the most of my time being in the city.

Lots of clubs, concert/gig venues, food places and boats. Also less of a student bubble - you actually see people of all ages there.
Somepeople are stupid.... The easiest way to find the top university in UK are two ways. 1 Look at A-level entry level by the subject of university. 2 But you need to take REF 2014’s Intensity GPA considerate too.(why intensity GPA because like Manchester staff only submit 78% but Oxford and Bristol submit 91%, So intensity GPA is fair) Take both of them considerately. You will find out Bristol University is the TOP 4 in engineering.Clearly Bristol is definitely better than York which A-level only 154....and slightly better than Warwick. Besides, Bristol have 29 CDTs and 15 epsrc’CDTs which more than imperial college (12) ,Cambridge and Oxford..... Durham is more famous than Bristol but academic intensity REF, it is far away from TOP 5 (Imperial Cambridge UCL Oxford Bristol )
(edited 5 years ago)
Tier 1: Oxford, Cambridge.

Tier 2: LSE, Imperial.

Tier 3: Bristol, UCL, King's, Bath, Warwick, Durham.

Tier 4: Birmingham, Sheffield, Leeds, Cardiff, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Exeter, Glasgow, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Queen Mary, Queen's Belfast, Southampton, York.

Tier 5: The remainder of the non-ex polytechnics, such as Brunel and Loughborough.

Tier 6: The ex-polytechnics, such as Plymouth and Northumbria.

Just don't go anywhere in tier 6. Select the highest tier you can, but preferably 4/5 or above.
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending