The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Is Nottingham really that dangerous?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Compared to parts of Manchester, it's fine. Although every city has its rough parts, you just got to know where to avoid and when to avoid it. Maybe avoid walking alone at night, but that goes without saying for anywhere.

Media probably gets a strong portion of its content through late night antics and young offenders (guessing).
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
If you make it across the street without being shanked with a screw driver you're doing it wrong.

On the other hand, I live in Wollaton (that's part of nottingham), so nearly everyone is quite... old... As long as they don't attack en masse you can outrun those ones... Just watch out for flying zimmer frames and the occasional menace on an OAP scooter...
When was the last time you heard of a crime in Nottingham on the main news. I can't remember, whreas London, Manchester and Liverpool are always on the news with murders and stappings.
Original post by AfghanistanBananistan
When was the last time you heard of a crime in Nottingham on the main news. I can't remember, whreas London, Manchester and Liverpool are always on the news with murders and stappings.

And where are the country's tv studios, and other media outlets, located?
When was the last time you heard of much happening outside of the M25?
Original post by COSMICDOLPHIN
And where are the country's tv studios, and other media outlets, located?
When was the last time you heard of much happening outside of the M25?

Libya, Afghanistan, Greese, USA, Belfast. I think they are all outside of the M25? (I hope)
(edited 12 years ago)
D'oh! My bad! I meant to say happening in England outside of the M25. Perhaps the phrase was meant as hyperbole, not to be taken literally but containing an element of truth.
Original post by COSMICDOLPHIN
D'oh! My bad! I meant to say happening in England outside of the M25. Perhaps the phrase was meant as hyperbole, not to be taken literally but containing an element of truth.

lol - I know what you mean, I was just just kidding :biggrin:

You make a valid and fair point!
Reply 47
I've lived here all my life, and there's a lot of bad press, mainly because of certain estates in the city, where there is a fair bit of crime/gangs. That is no where near the uni campus, and all the clubs are in the main part of town, away from there. I've never had any issue with it.
It has its bad areas, like all citys I guess.
Reply 48
Original post by Cll_ws
make it out to be?
I'd like to study in Nottingham, but obviously haven't ever experienced living there and don't know what the City is really like.
The course in Nottingham seems perfect, but I can't help but be put of by the media making it out to be some sort of crime-ridden city on the decline.
I know I probably shouldn't listen to all the media stuff, but...

How true is it? and have you had any bad experiences?
The more worrying part of it would be when I have to move into a house 2nd year, ha.

It is the 'stab capital' of England but thats only among gangs, from what i've heard students are usually fine. You get crime and student problems everywhere, and parts of London are MUCH worse than Nottingham
nottinghams a ****hole mate....
watch the real nottingham...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dCLtZFyV5k
Reply 50
It's fine, but the some areas are complete dives. General rule with Nottingham is the east is bad.
Reply 51
Original post by Mufasaa
It's fine, but the some areas are complete dives. General rule with Nottingham is the east is bad.

Apart from Mapperley. Or Mapperley Plains. Or Carlton. Or Gedling...
Original post by Mufasaa

no the north part is worst but none of you souther fairies have ventured there, such as bestwood, bulwell(over 10 percent of nottingham population), top valley, broxtowe estate, bilborough, aspley, strelley, cinderhill etc etc...Poorest parts of the country...fact.
Reply 53
If you ever get into any trouble, you can always count on Robin Hood and his band of merry men to help you out. Stay away from the police though. That's one corrupt sherrif.
Reply 54
Original post by louiscypher
no the north part is worst but none of you souther fairies have ventured there, such as bestwood, bulwell(over 10 percent of nottingham population), top valley, broxtowe estate, bilborough, aspley, strelley, cinderhill etc etc...Poorest parts of the country...fact.

As areas go they're a bit ****, but they're not exactly riven with violent crime now the Gunns have ****ed off. My mate lives in Bulwell and its alright, albeit filled with chavs. But you could say that about a lot of places...
From what I saw and felt, it seems almost a tradition with the whole "Shottingham" thing, but it seems pretty safe to me. It didn't stop me applying at all because I liked the course and uni. If anything, any big city is equally as bad - parts of London of course, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool etc.
Original post by Stressworthy
From what I saw and felt, it seems almost a tradition with the whole "Shottingham" thing, but it seems pretty safe to me. It didn't stop me applying at all because I liked the course and uni. If anything, any big city is equally as bad - parts of London of course, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool etc.

i take it the 4 murders in the past month, 2 stabboings and random attacks have passed you by???

Throw in the fact that it was arguebly pound fpor pound the worst for the riots and you sir have a class A contender for worst post of the year.

Add the fact nottinghams npot that big of a city, its smaller than bristol, sheffield, leeds etc. Its more comparable in size to leicester, newcastle etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57
i take it the 4 murders in the past month, 2 stabboings and random attacks have passed you by???

Throw in the fact that it was arguebly pound fpor pound the worst for the riots and you sir have a class A contender for worst post of the year.

Add the fact nottinghams npot that big of a city, its smaller than bristol, sheffield, leeds etc. Its more comparable in size to leicester, newcastle etc.

Incorrect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom

It depends how you view it.

The actual City of Nottingham is very small. It's actually a lot smaller than Sheffield, Leeds and even Leicester.

However if we include the outer towns such as Arnold, West Bridgford, Beeston, Eastwood etc (even though they are not technically part of Nottingham but considered by many to be so) then you have one of the largest Cities in the UK. The Nottingham 'urban area' is biggger than the Leicester and Sheffield 'urban areas'. Crime stas for nottingham only include the official City of Nottingham though and thats why it seems high.

As I say, it was a personal opinion from what I felt when I visited - and it didn't stop me personally from applying. I'm aware that it's smaller and I didn't deny that there was crime, but my point was that I have felt more unsafe in parts of other big cities. As long as you know where to go and avoid, like any place, I don't see why being a student at Nottingham should be a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending