The Student Room Group

Working at Next

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by mikl_c

Don't think I've ever read the handbook fully but it's just got things it like lateness, sickness procedures, holiday entitlement etc.

You will just start your training on your first shift, depends how busy the store is on how much you'll get done. There are things like just going over the basics how the shopfloor works and you'll get your till training at some point, this is done on the till itself so you'll only do this when it's quiet. Until your fully trained you'll be doing jobs like front service, running, fitting rooms and tidying there will be a rota somewhere telling you where you are all day and when your break is etc.
Reply 21
As for the Handbook there is probably one around in the break room. They wont have expected you to read it yet - I had to sign to say I had read it after about a month of being there.
You will get your payroll number on your first shift and the password etc. for the Portal (where you can get the handbook) on your first paycheck I'd imagine - which might be this 26th.
Reply 22
Yay I'm now a Sales Consultant at Next too! Rang up the lady who interviewed me and she said she didn't have a position for me and the only ones she had left were temporary or only 4 hours p/w. So I have a 3 month temp contract full-time (hopefully will be offered a permanent position before I leave but not guarunteed) and my induction is tomorrow!

What happens in the induction? I'm meant to be there for 2 or 3 hours.
Reply 23
You have to watch a Health and Saftery video and fill out some paperwork. Thats all I think - so long ago I can't remember me doing anything else.

Not too difficult

Oh and congrats!
Reply 24
Thanks for the advice guys, first shift tomorrow! I'm looking forward to it, both nervous and excited!! Yeah for my induction last week we had to watch three Health and Safety videos, fill out paperwork and had a store tour
Reply 25
Original post by 04woodhf
You have to watch a Health and Saftery video and fill out some paperwork. Thats all I think - so long ago I can't remember me doing anything else.

Not too difficult

Oh and congrats!

Yeah I watched 4 dvds. My bum was the numbest ever!
Just wondering, if the Summer catalogue is out, can you wear clothes from the Spring/Summer catalogue? Don't want to risk it on my first shift tomorrow!
Reply 26
Original post by alliekat

Original post by alliekat
Yeah I watched 4 dvds. My bum was the numbest ever!
Just wondering, if the Summer catalogue is out, can you wear clothes from the Spring/Summer catalogue? Don't want to risk it on my first shift tomorrow!

Yes but they have to be approved by your manager first.
I have seen tons of threads about having interviews at Next but non on actually working there. So I'm making that thread!

I worked at Next as a Christmas temp for 3months, and have just recently been taken on again with a permanent 8hour contract - anyone who's worked in Next longer, can you tell me how much uniform allowance I get? I know it won't be much mind!

Let people know about your experiences with successful interviews and working at Next :smile:)
Reply 28
Original post by stephiejayne
I have seen tons of threads about having interviews at Next but non on actually working there. So I'm making that thread!

I worked at Next as a Christmas temp for 3months, and have just recently been taken on again with a permanent 8hour contract - anyone who's worked in Next longer, can you tell me how much uniform allowance I get? I know it won't be much mind!

Let people know about your experiences with successful interviews and working at Next :smile:)

you get an allowance of £75 for an 8 hour contract.. :smile:
Original post by adh5643

This. But you don't have to have next trousers or shoes, so you can use it all on tops and cardiagns and whatnot. Remember as well that it's not free it's charged at 25% so you'll have just under £20 to pay.
Reply 30
how hard is it to get a temp. job at next?
Original post by adh5643

i thought it would be around there, still alot though when you get 75% off! haha!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by gunit123
how hard is it to get a temp. job at next?

not too hard, everytime i've applied i've been offered a job. just go onto the website and keep applying and they will soon get back to you :smile:
i assume it will be a lot harder when theres hundreds of people applying for the same role at a central london store to be honest
i thought it would be around there, still alot though when you get 75% off! haha!

You only get £75 worth of clothes, not £75 to spend at 75% off.
Original post by The_Goose
You only get £75 worth of clothes, not £75 to spend at 75% off.

Just spoke to one of the managers at the store I used to work at - you get £75 allowance (or whatever your contract is) and then you get 75% discount for uniform and 25% any other time (which i knew already) :smile:

Too confusing if you ask me!
Just spoke to one of the managers at the store I used to work at - you get £75 allowance (or whatever your contract is) and then you get 75% discount for uniform and 25% any other time (which i knew already) :smile:

Too confusing if you ask me!

For uniform you pick out £75 worth of stuff and you only have to pay for 25%

for everything else you get 25% off
Original post by The_Goose
For uniform you pick out £75 worth of stuff and you only have to pay for 25%

for everything else you get 25% off

Yes, you get 75% then you have 25% left to pay.. let's not go round in circles here :tongue:
Yes, you get 75% then you have 25% left to pay.. let's not go round in circles here :tongue:

Just clarifying. I'm not the one that wants to know anyway. I managed to stick it 7 months at Next. It was terrible, although I was at a clearance store, which I imagine is quite different to working in mainline
Reply 39
I work there :smile:
I'm on a 4 hour contract and I'm only temporary.. Its quite annoying cos I want more hours but only seem to want me on Saturdays :frown:!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending