The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adamrules247

Umm, appears to be; I think. T'is a little ambiguous though. But the Uni is nice, it's in a nice area, it's a good academic institution and it's A LOT closer to home than Dundee. I need to think and pray on it more though.

I've prayed that you will discern what is right for you :smile:
Original post by Aula
Umm... I think so. The chaplaincy'll be a more official place, run by the chaplain, whereas the society is more run by the students. The two are often interlinked, as in Durham, where the chaplain is a position within the society, but he also has a place outside the society. The rest of the positions are elected and held by the students.

Ahh, righto. Thanks for clearing that up :smile:

I'm sure you'll make the decision that's right for you :yy:

I sure hope so at any rate. Seems a silly thing to be so worried over.

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I've prayed that you will discern what is right for you :smile:

Thank you so much :h:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
:woo:

Alua
:woo:

I got a reply from Reading's Uni Chaplain. The reply wasn't very good TBH. The Chaplain said that Reading's a very secular uni, that she doesn't know how many Catholics there are, there's no Cath Soc (and hasn't been for 8 years) and the other denominational socs are doing badly, there are obviously few activities and most are ecumenical ones, the local Tridentine mass also has few students attending.

Lots to think about.

EDIT: Here's the email in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
, the local Tridentine mass also has few students attending.

Lots to think about.

are you a 'traditionalist'? do you only attend EF? are you SEDEVACANTISTT?????

also, dont worry, i was the only practisicng catholic when i was at college, the rest of the CU were extreme protestant fundies, and boycotted anything i did like bible studies i ran, sessions to identify our differences ended up with them saying 'there are more of us therefore we are right, change your beliefs' and 'the bible means XYZ because i FEEL it does. i follow my heart which is Gods word to ME'
Original post by shinytoy
are you a 'traditionalist'? do you only attend EF? are you SEDEVACANTISTT?????

also, dont worry, i was the only practisicng catholic when i was at college, the rest of the CU were extreme protestant fundies, and boycotted anything i did like bible studies i ran, sessions to identify our differences ended up with them saying 'there are more of us therefore we are right, change your beliefs' and 'the bible means XYZ because i FEEL it does. i follow my heart which is Gods word to ME'

I'm Orthodox certainly but currently only attend the OF. I just prefer the Tridentine right as I think it's something of great beauty, also the first ever mass I attended was a Tridentine mass.

That seems most unfriendly, and most un-Christian, of them :frown: So there were NO other Catholics at all? That must have been tough.
Reply 2305
Original post by shinytoy
are you SEDEVACANTISTT?????

What would you assume is the position of the sedevacantist on the new Roman Rite?
Original post by yawn
What would you assume is the position of the sedevacantist on the new Roman Rite?

Am I correct in saying that they don't believe the current Pope valid :holmes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2307
Am I correct in saying that they don't believe the current Pope valid :holmes:

Basically, they believe that Vatican II was heretical and therefore any Popes elected since then are invalid elections. That would include Pope Benedict XVI, so your assumption is correct.

One of their strongest arguments relates to Pope Paul VII's changes to the Missal for the English speaking world, hence my question to shinytoy.
Original post by yawn
Basically, they believe that Vatican II was heretical and therefore any Popes elected since then are invalid elections. That would include Pope Benedict XVI, so your assumption is correct.

One of their strongest arguments relates to Pope Paul VII's changes to the Missal for the English speaking world, hence my question to shinytoy.

I do wonder what they'd think of that actually. Their stance does seem a rather queer one none the less. Anyway, how's Ireland going? Have you read about my university misadventures above?
Reply 2309
I do wonder what they'd think of that actually. Their stance does seem a rather queer one none the less.

They have been left with little to argue with...but I expect shinytoy to know all about it. :wink:

Anyway, how's Ireland going? Have you read about my university misadventures above?

I have been reading of your disquiet over Reading University. It will take great courage to be a pioneer amidst such antipathy. Such a challenge could be draining and a big distraction from your studies. Pray for guidance. And think seriously about Heythrop where such challenges don't exist.

Ireland is peaceful...watching newly hatched birds being fed by their parents at close range is awesome, as is the peace and quiet of the environs. However, all good things eventually come to an end and soon I'll be back in blighty to take up the cudgels on behalf of the Lord, and to support you too.
Original post by yawn
They have been left with little to argue with...but I expect shinytoy to know all about it. :wink:

I have been reading of your disquiet over Reading University. It will take great courage to be a pioneer amidst such antipathy. Such a challenge could be draining and a big distraction from your studies. Pray for guidance. And think seriously about Heythrop where such challenges don't exist.

Ireland is peaceful...watching newly hatched birds being fed by their parents at close range is awesome, as is the peace and quiet of the environs. However, all good things eventually come to an end and soon I'll be back in blighty to take up the cudgels on behalf of the Lord, and to support you too.

what part of Eire are you in?
Reply 2311
Original post by bestofyou
what part of Eire are you in?

I'm not in 'Eire', I'm in the Republic of Ireland! :wink:

County Connemara (as my dad refers to it, having believed they've declared UDI from the rest of Ireland, particularly Co. Galway).

I'm taking every opportunity to practice my Irish as it's only good manners to try and speak the native language which is the first tongue of the people living here.

The weather is unbelievable good for the west, but then again, you don't come here for the weather but rather the ceol argus craic.:smile:
Original post by yawn

Tee hee, I know ST is involved with EF masses, don't know much more though.

It feels like God has put it in my path (because it's a uni I looked at ages ago and it seems queer it's just 'popped up' again. I have been praying for A LOT of guidance I assure you! I did some reading on Heythrop, it does look lovely. Not sure on the London location though.

Good to know you're having fun. Watching baby birds is always funny, I've got dozens in my garden, most of whom are used to humans and will thus allow you to get close. My sister get very close to taming a black bird before it disappeared (it was quite old, going grey). Of course anyone who knows me knows me as the bird man seeing as I have my cute little birdie :h:

Just out of interest, tue way you wrote 'take up the cudgels on behalf of the Lord', do you do anything particular for the Church or a Catholic charity, or is it just a general turn of phrase about the humdrum of everyday life? Either way, enjoy the rest of your time in Ireland!
Reply 2313

It feels like God has put it in my path (because it's a uni I looked at ages ago and it seems queer it's just 'popped up' again. I have been praying for A LOT of guidance I assure you! I did some reading on Heythrop, it does look lovely. Not sure on the London location though.

I'm not entirely convinced that we are that adept at discerning. Sometimes it is best for us to leave things to happen...in hindsight, things do happen for the best without our realising it at the time.

Just out of interest, tue way you wrote 'take up the cudgels on behalf of the Lord', do you do anything particular for the Church or a Catholic charity, or is it just a general turn of phrase about the humdrum of everyday life? Either way, enjoy the rest of your time in Ireland!

I was, until recently, involved in leadership and strategic direction of a Catholic secondary school. Additionally, I have been a peripatetic teacher of catechesis for primary aged children. Today, I am just a common-all apologist for the Lord with a strong emphasis on Catholic teaching as authorised by Christ Himself.

I intend to enjoy my last few days in Ireland...remembering that I shall be back here again in September. I loved the Irish people and Ireland itself. I feel so at home here because it's still a Catholic country and I share so much in common with it.:smile:
Original post by yawn
I'm not in 'Eire', I'm in the Republic of Ireland! :wink:

County Connemara (as my dad refers to it, having believed they've declared UDI from the rest of Ireland, particularly Co. Galway).

I'm taking every opportunity to practice my Irish as it's only good manners to try and speak the native language which is the first tongue of the people living here.

The weather is unbelievable good for the west, but then again, you don't come here for the weather but rather the ceol argus craic.:smile:

You are, Eire is Irish for Ireland. I just use it cause it's shorter to spell. Yeah, when the weather is nice here there's few places I'd rather be to be honest.
Original post by yawn
I'm not entirely convinced that we are that adept at discerning. Sometimes it is best for us to leave things to happen...in hindsight, things do happen for the best without our realising it at the time.

I know I'm never much good at discerning. I usually take things like this to my sponsor. She's very good. The only problem with the 'let things happen option' is that I do have to make proactive decisions myself which will determine the future, lots of prayers are the best answer probably!

I was, until recently, involved in leadership and strategic direction of a Catholic secondary school. Additionally, I have been a peripatetic teacher of catechesis for primary aged children. Today, I am just a common-all apologist for the Lord with a strong emphasis on Catholic teaching as authorised by Christ Himself.

Ahh, righto. Sorry to ask like that. Well I must say you do a jolly excellent job as an apologist, certainly helped me understand the faith better with some of the things I've read from you :smile:

I intend to enjoy my last few days in Ireland...remembering that I shall be back here again in September. I loved the Irish people and Ireland itself. I feel so at home here because it's still a Catholic country and I share so much in common with it.:smile:

I must make it my vision to visit whilst they're still Catholic!
I don't post in here, though I probably should.

How do you guys deal with dark thoughts? By that I mean doubts about the faith and the Gospel. I haven't prayed in a while because I keep being filled with doubts and these dark thoughts when I go to do it, then comes the inevitable guilt, self-hate and angst. I want to be a good Catholic again, please give me some comforting words :cry2:
Original post by medbh4805
I don't post in here, though I probably should.

How do you guys deal with dark thoughts? By that I mean doubts about the faith and the Gospel. I haven't prayed in a while because I keep being filled with doubts and these dark thoughts when I go to do it, then comes the inevitable guilt, self-hate and angst. I want to be a good Catholic again, please give me some comforting words :cry2:

:hi: I'm converting from nothing in particular at the moment so I did have these 'dark thoughts' as you called them until recently. And I realised this, scripture must be read as a totality, the second you do that is the second that they begin to make sense. And to quote St. Agustine, 'I would not believe the gospels were it not for the authority of the Catholic Church'. That is to say that the fact that the original apostles, those who led the early Church and claimed to have witnessed the accession of Our Lord into Heaven, were willing to die for what they saw, rather than sending others to die todos them, proves the validity of the resurrection of Jesus to my mind. Remember, Jesus didn't leave a Bible, he left four things; a Church, a papacy, an oral tradition and a magisterium.

If you want to start practicing again I can give you a link to a set of Catechisis tapes made a 20 or so years ago by a priest who converted and, through these tapes, inspired me to convert. He is, quite frankly, amazing and has led an amazing life, including being used as slave labour by the Japanese army.
(edited 12 years ago)
:hi: I'm converting from nothing in particular at the moment so I did have these 'dark thoughts' as you called them until recently. And I realised this, scripture must be read as a totality, the second you do that is the second that they begin to make sense. And to quote St. Agustine, 'I would not believe the gospels were it not for the authority of the Catholic Church'. That is to say that the fact that the original apostles, those who led the early Church and claimed to have witnessed the accession of Our Lord into Heaven, were willing to die for what they saw, rather than sending others to die todos them, proves the validity of the resurrection of Jesus to my mind.

If you want to start practicing again I can give you a link to a set of Catechisis tapes made a 20 or so years ago by a priest who converted and, through these tapes, inspired me to convert.

That quote is from Confessions isn't it? :redface: I might read it again, I suppose I'm trying to come to terms with my sinful nature, sometimes I feel so down, like I can't live with myself at all. I have read a lot of scripture, what really gets me is I read the parts from Paul about Grace and I wonder if I'm capable of receiving grace. I was confirmed at 11 but I feel like I keep on sinning, sinning and knowing that I am sinning; Paul says in Hebrews that this itself is one of the worst sins.

Please send me the link, I will listen to them tomorrow :redface:
Original post by medbh4805
That quote is from Confessions isn't it? :redface: I might read it again, I suppose I'm trying to come to terms with my sinful nature, sometimes I feel so down, like I can't live with myself at all. I have read a lot of scripture, what really gets me is I read the parts from Paul about Grace and I wonder if I'm capable of receiving grace. I was confirmed at 11 but I feel like I keep on sinning, sinning and knowing that I am sinning; Paul says in Hebrews that this itself is one of the worst sins.

Please send me the link, I will listen to them tomorrow :redface:

It's the first 6 (the ones called Catechism of Christian Doctorine) that you need to download http://catholicaudio.blogspot.com/2007/07/fr-hugh-thwaites-basic-catechism.html?m=1 Take a few days to listen to them, they really are excellent.

I think it might be from Confessions, will have to double check though. Remember, sin is not a reason to not believe in God, we simply hide ourselves from God when we sin; remember Adam and Eve after they had eaten the fruit, they hid from God. You do have the graces and it's up to you to allow the Holy Spirit to guide you. I'm a chap as well and we both know we have urges, yet through the power of God I can control these urges; exactly tue same with anger. It is ourself mastery that makes us human, and makes us truely designed in the image and likeness of God. And remember, there's always confession, the neglected sacrament I think.

Quick Reply

Latest