The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey sorry for being honest, I only said my bit because people in my team were saying about the stuff on here, so I looked it up...I personally hate forums hence why I have never been on here before however I also hate the fact that people only ever make a fuss to complain. Not just with this particular subject, but in general. You often hear about the restaurant that had a hair in someones soup but never about the 100,000's of people that really enjoyed their meal because they never make the effort to post it on "a forum". I bet that restaurant is really good, but 1 tiny slip up (and after all we're only human) and it's destroyed by someone with a negative opinion that spreads like wild fire and all the people that really enjoyed it never said a thing to fight it. It's just the way we function as humans and it irritates me, I saw allot of people doing well this summer and really enjoying themselves and yes I saw some negative/lazy people that didn't.
It's not rocket science if you're on commission only is it?!?

If you have an open mind, like talking to people and want to earn decent money which is helping to save lives then you're laughing. If you just want a normal bar job where you turn up, do your shift and go home on minimum wage do that!

Simple.
Reply 21
hi, i'm applying to wesser this summer but seeing the mixed reviews on it kinda has
me confused lol. so i was jus wondering if anyone knows the exact pay system, thanks:smile:
Wesser Ltd. is a very dodgy company. i got stuck in a house in newcastle where on my first day people gave me all this doom and gloom about people getting fired all the time. there was one guy there who hadn't got a sale in like 3 weeks (although he was pretty bad).
i'm a sociable guy who is naturally friendly as hell- but this job doesn't allow you to be naturally friendly because that gives them an excuse to turn you down. you have to have the skill of building rapport whilst putting pressure on the person at the same time. typically those you sign up are weaker minded people who just "go along with it" or the rare person who just says yes straight away. from stronger minded people you are going to get a hell of a lot of judgement when you put the pressure on- but like i said no pressure = no signups.
if you are good at having tits that is always a useful skill.. girls typically get way more sign ups than guys.

but i think i was put up in one of the worst areas where the crew had already saturated all the best places.. you have to average about 4 signups a day to get decent(ish) pay and from my experience the whole time i was there the best guy got about 2-3 a day.
Reply 23
Original post by Tridentus
Wesser Ltd. is a very dodgy company. i got stuck in a house in newcastle where on my first day people gave me all this doom and gloom about people getting fired all the time. there was one guy there who hadn't got a sale in like 3 weeks (although he was pretty bad).
i'm a sociable guy who is naturally friendly as hell- but this job doesn't allow you to be naturally friendly because that gives them an excuse to turn you down. you have to have the skill of building rapport whilst putting pressure on the person at the same time. typically those you sign up are weaker minded people who just "go along with it" or the rare person who just says yes straight away. from stronger minded people you are going to get a hell of a lot of judgement when you put the pressure on- but like i said no pressure = no signups.
if you are good at having tits that is always a useful skill.. girls typically get way more sign ups than guys.

but i think i was put up in one of the worst areas where the crew had already saturated all the best places.. you have to average about 4 signups a day to get decent(ish) pay and from my experience the whole time i was there the best guy got about 2-3 a day.

Hiya, I'm thinking about this job in the summer but I'm worried that I wont be good at it and hence wont get any pay! Does anyone ever reach the 20 a week to not pay rent?
Heyyy, i have read everything put on here and wow it is mixed! I start next week and i'm so excited! Even if they pay does not work out the way it is planned it is an expeience, it gets you away for the summer AND you get to work for a great cause :smile: I cannot wait and hope it goes as well as i think it will! :biggrin:
**** I think have may have messed up getting into this now...I know it's a good cause, and I am friendly (and can be persuasive if need be), but I want the job primarily to earn money- if I make a loss on my summer job I'm ****ed for my next year of uni... Does anyone have experience of working for them in the south west/south?
Reply 26
I personally couldn't stomach this type of job. Approaching people begging for money doesn't sit well with me.

Even if its for charity.
Reply 27
How would people make a loss :s-smilie:?
Reply 28
Yeah theres alot of mixed reviews on here....

Anyway I have an interview for wesser next week and was wondering more about the job. As in if i work a couple of days and find its not for me, what can happen? Can i just quit?? And is it really that bad???
Reply 29
Original post by kosmo72
Yeah theres alot of mixed reviews on here....

Anyway I have an interview for wesser next week and was wondering more about the job. As in if i work a couple of days and find its not for me, what can happen? Can i just quit?? And is it really that bad???

You can probably leave but part of their contract says that they are allowed to take 100£ or so fees off you if you leave before your minimum 6 week contract, I think.
They can take £100 if you leave within 6 weeks, as like a training fee. If your not 100% then dont do it! I only hacked it for about a week? Its exhausted, you have days where you only get 1 sign up and get made to feel like ****, if you dont get 20 a week and you live in then you end up owing wesser money! I would not suggest it to anyone! To me it felt like a prison and i HATED it!!
Reply 31
Original post by emmalou2606
They can take £100 if you leave within 6 weeks, as like a training fee. If your not 100% then dont do it! I only hacked it for about a week? Its exhausted, you have days where you only get 1 sign up and get made to feel like ****, if you dont get 20 a week and you live in then you end up owing wesser money! I would not suggest it to anyone! To me it felt like a prison and i HATED it!!

How much did you make in your week there?
Reply 32
looked at the whole thread and it seems teh job is a difficult one but if done well has huge benefits.

just a few things i would like cleared up

DO YOU HAVE TO PUT ANY MONEY IN YOURSELF. SO PAY FOR RENT, FOOD, ETC

ARE THE TARGETS REALISTIC

WHAT ARE WESSER'S APPROACH TO THOSE WHO DO NOT EXCEL WITHIN SAY A WEEK

ANSWERS WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL
Hey everyone,

I had my interview with Wesser on the 12th July and immediately on the same week, started the 'job.' I would never have survived 6 weeks in a house with some rather unprofessional people so I resigned after my first 2 days. I did achieve 5 sign-ups on the first and 5 on the second (the target was 4 per day) but it was 1) the ethics of the company, 2) the dodgy working hours, 3) the lack of pay as well as 4) the un-professionalism of some of the members overlooking my work, that made me decide to leave.

1) During your interview at Wesser, it would be wise to not just sit there and absorb in the information about the company but to actually ask: 'So how does Wesser make their profits?' There seems to be a lack of comprehension about how the company actually fundraises for St John Ambulance during the interview stage, which I admit, I regret ignoring. When you go around the doors, you will be encouraging people (most likely pensioners) to donate a yearly/half-yearly/quarterly/monthly amount. If you don't persuade them to donate at least £30 per year/£20 per half-year/ £10 per quarter of the year/ £5 per month, you simply won't get your pay. E.g. if they decided to give £25 per year - you won't get paid. Also, when the donor decides to cancel the payment, you won't get your pay. When you are going around door-to-door, you cannot take one-off payments, which surprised me at first because any donation would benefit a charity surely. As well as that, you would ONLY be able to take direct debits and if you do decide to take cash/cheque, the consequences are that you will be fired. What you will be doing is making enough profits for the company via this regular donation - 45% of the donations will be given to Wesser over 2 years, and due to Gift Aid being 20p for every £1 donated, this would be covered in time. 45% is a huge percentage for a private company surely. Many donors are put off with this and I unashamedly feel slightly guilty about this as well therefore questioning my ethics.

2) The working hours absolutely does not suit anybody who is social OR ambitious (in terms of what else they would like to achieve in life e.g. pursuing musical interests). I have stated before in my application to Wesser that I am efficient in work and hard-working and I believe that I am but those qualities are not the only ones that you need to survive working for Wesser. The working hours ranged from 9am - 9pm sometimes - it is crucial that you work till 9pm but it does not matter when you start. What time you start is determined by the team leader and in several of my training days, you would begin at 1pm. Normally for school/college, I have learned to wake up at 9am anyways, so if that is the case, you can waste a whole morning doing nothing productive. Anyways, the working days are from Monday - Saturday. Again, if you are attending an interview, make sure you ask what they are as it was not made clear in mines. I thought I was able to take the weekend off to return back to London or something!

3) Every sign-up, you do get £5. Now, it works roughly about £20 per day if you meet your target of 4, which is frankly quite unrealistic in some days of work. Say if you do meet £20 per day, and you have worked from 9am to 9pm. Divide that by 12, and you definitely earn way below the minimum wage therefore if you are hoping to earn lots of money this Summer, this company is very misleading in terms of making you believe that you can do that. Sometimes, individuals get 0 sign-ups and if this is the case, for ambitious individuals, this would make you feel awful. Despite the low amounts you would get paid, there's the high amount to spend. Travel is not reimbursed if the conditions are not met (e.g. if you don't get 15 sign-ups per week), accommodation (£60) is not paid for you if conditions are not met and the training fee (£100) is not paid for you if you decide to cancel within 6 weeks. The training I received, I thought was basic and definitely is not worth £100 therefore I have decided that I am not going to pay that amount. Each week, you would have to pay £10 for the team driver to get fuel, your own food (I did not receive any food voucher as promised) etc and believe me, that is how you end up making a LOSS.

4) Un-professionalism of my managers were demonstrated by their foul-mouthed antics, them telling me to lie to their own managers, constant 'bitching' and laziness.

P.S if Wesser does decide to go into court proceedings with me for libel - I am very happy to do so. For now, I am using my Summer more wisely.
Reply 34
Original post by ufochaffeuress
Hey everyone,

I had my interview with Wesser on the 12th July and immediately on the same week, started the 'job.' I would never have survived 6 weeks in a house with some rather unprofessional people so I resigned after my first 2 days. I did achieve 5 sign-ups on the first and 5 on the second (the target was 4 per day) but it was 1) the ethics of the company, 2) the dodgy working hours, 3) the lack of pay as well as 4) the un-professionalism of some of the members overlooking my work, that made me decide to leave.

1) During your interview at Wesser, it would be wise to not just sit there and absorb in the information about the company but to actually ask: 'So how does Wesser make their profits?' There seems to be a lack of comprehension about how the company actually fundraises for St John Ambulance during the interview stage, which I admit, I regret ignoring. When you go around the doors, you will be encouraging people (most likely pensioners) to donate a yearly/half-yearly/quarterly/monthly amount. If you don't persuade them to donate at least £30 per year/£20 per half-year/ £10 per quarter of the year/ £5 per month, you simply won't get your pay. E.g. if they decided to give £25 per year - you won't get paid. Also, when the donor decides to cancel the payment, you won't get your pay. When you are going around door-to-door, you cannot take one-off payments, which surprised me at first because any donation would benefit a charity surely. As well as that, you would ONLY be able to take direct debits and if you do decide to take cash/cheque, the consequences are that you will be fired. What you will be doing is making enough profits for the company via this regular donation - 45% of the donations will be given to Wesser over 2 years, and due to Gift Aid being 20p for every £1 donated, this would be covered in time. 45% is a huge percentage for a private company surely. Many donors are put off with this and I unashamedly feel slightly guilty about this as well therefore questioning my ethics.

2) The working hours absolutely does not suit anybody who is social OR ambitious (in terms of what else they would like to achieve in life e.g. pursuing musical interests). I have stated before in my application to Wesser that I am efficient in work and hard-working and I believe that I am but those qualities are not the only ones that you need to survive working for Wesser. The working hours ranged from 9am - 9pm sometimes - it is crucial that you work till 9pm but it does not matter when you start. What time you start is determined by the team leader and in several of my training days, you would begin at 1pm. Normally for school/college, I have learned to wake up at 9am anyways, so if that is the case, you can waste a whole morning doing nothing productive. Anyways, the working days are from Monday - Saturday. Again, if you are attending an interview, make sure you ask what they are as it was not made clear in mines. I thought I was able to take the weekend off to return back to London or something!

3) Every sign-up, you do get £5. Now, it works roughly about £20 per day if you meet your target of 4, which is frankly quite unrealistic in some days of work. Say if you do meet £20 per day, and you have worked from 9am to 9pm. Divide that by 12, and you definitely earn way below the minimum wage therefore if you are hoping to earn lots of money this Summer, this company is very misleading in terms of making you believe that you can do that. Sometimes, individuals get 0 sign-ups and if this is the case, for ambitious individuals, this would make you feel awful. Despite the low amounts you would get paid, there's the high amount to spend. Travel is not reimbursed if the conditions are not met (e.g. if you don't get 15 sign-ups per week), accommodation (£60) is not paid for you if conditions are not met and the training fee (£100) is not paid for you if you decide to cancel within 6 weeks. The training I received, I thought was basic and definitely is not worth £100 therefore I have decided that I am not going to pay that amount. Each week, you would have to pay £10 for the team driver to get fuel, your own food (I did not receive any food voucher as promised) etc and believe me, that is how you end up making a LOSS.

4) Un-professionalism of my managers were demonstrated by their foul-mouthed antics, them telling me to lie to their own managers, constant 'bitching' and laziness.

P.S if Wesser does decide to go into court proceedings with me for libel - I am very happy to do so. For now, I am using my Summer more wisely.

good for you for speaking up. I had an interview and traning day and I walked off at around 7pm. It was awful and I didn't like the way they were pressuring people to give money. The person who was doing the training was shockingly unprofessional, deciding to apply her 'skills' into pressuring me to buy her a cone of chips from a fish and chip shop, she was also very mocking and spoke about the donations in a terrible way.
The ethics were awful, the company misleading and it seemed impossible to make much money unless you wanted to sell your soul. A summer job would have been great but I didn't need it to that extent...
Original post by sundogs
good for you for speaking up. I had an interview and traning day and I walked off at around 7pm. It was awful and I didn't like the way they were pressuring people to give money. The person who was doing the training was shockingly unprofessional, deciding to apply her 'skills' into pressuring me to buy her a cone of chips from a fish and chip shop, she was also very mocking and spoke about the donations in a terrible way.
The ethics were awful, the company misleading and it seemed impossible to make much money unless you wanted to sell your soul. A summer job would have been great but I didn't need it to that extent...

Thank you for your response. That sounds very unprofessional. The training was drab frankly, making you recall statistics and repeating them over and over again. Sounds like your team leader really does need training herself. I did not have my I.D (the badge) in the first place for my first and second day at work and I was told by my team leader to lie to their manager that I had because apparently it was illegal. I notified their manager anyways that I did not have my I.D and I knew how it was illegal but she told me that the public often don't ask for I.D anyways. Completely unparallel information had made me decided to quit - highly unprofessional the situation was. There's constant bitching in the house as well and the environment that I experienced was quite cold.

For now, I will be reading Law books to prepare me for a Law degree at the LSE and in the meantime, tutoring piano.
Original post by LRNadine
I have an interview with Wesser for a summer placement next week and from what I've read the pay is rather confusing. One website stated this--> Every fundraiser is paid an hourly rate of £6.50 per hour plus further commission and bonuses dependant upon individual performance.

Whilst other places have stated it is purely commission, including the student room.

Just confirming... The whole £6.50 an hour isn't true is it ?

Thank you in advance :smile:

Nadine x

hey ive worked with wesser and the hourly rate isnt true its all commission x
ive read some of the comments on here and to be honest its ridiculous what people are saying i finished my 6 weeks and really enjoyed it, the pay is commission based and the amount depends on what people donate. the thing about this job is that you need the right attitude if your a laid back person who likes meeting people and is like minded then your fine if you go there thinking your ganna be amazing and hit your targets (which are realistic despite what some people say) from the off then your ganna find it hard. some people are also saying that you have to pay for accommodation this only applies when you dont hit your targets which isnt hard, its also fair enough because if your not making the company money you cant expect handouts, ater all ITS A CHARITY! As i mentioned before its very different to working in retail or behind a bar so dont expect to be the best straight away.

give it a chance x
Original post by Aizen101
looked at the whole thread and it seems teh job is a difficult one but if done well has huge benefits.

just a few things i would like cleared up

DO YOU HAVE TO PUT ANY MONEY IN YOURSELF. SO PAY FOR RENT, FOOD, ETC

ARE THE TARGETS REALISTIC

WHAT ARE WESSER'S APPROACH TO THOSE WHO DO NOT EXCEL WITHIN SAY A WEEK

ANSWERS WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL

you get a food voucher, and you only have to pay for rent if you dont hit your targets which are realistic which isnt hard. dont worry your not ganna get fired for being below standard in your first week or even few weeks they have 40,000 applicants a year and the majority have never done something like this before dont worry they help you ALOT
hope this helps x
Original post by mary26
Hiya, I'm thinking about this job in the summer but I'm worried that I wont be good at it and hence wont get any pay! Does anyone ever reach the 20 a week to not pay rent?

yes more than not 20 a week isnt hard i say go for it not everyone is ganna have a good experience if you have any problems tthere are plenty of people in managment you can contact its not some massive company where your voice isnt heard x