The Student Room Group

Who marks exams?

Who marks cambridges papers?

And is it true that theres this awesome tradition for the exam results to be thrown from the rooftop by college professors? :O
Original post by Faro_a11
Who marks cambridges papers?

Members of the department. I think PhD students, often.

And is it true that theres this awesome tradition for the exam results to be thrown from the rooftop by college professors? :O

In the maths tripos, from the (indoor) balcony of Senate House.
Original post by alex_hk90
Thanks for reminding me I need to watch that.

Spoiler

In Economics the papers were marked by our lecturers (i.e. Economics Fellows).

Pretty sure the papers at least get a look-over by an external fellow as well though.
Reply 3
Original post by Faro_a11
For third and fourth year maths the results are read out and then thrown from the balcony inside senate house. The term "wooden spoon" also comes from the maths results: until 1909, one was given to the person with the lowest third.

Picture

Reply 4
Original post by BigFudamental
Pretty sure the papers at least get a look-over by an external fellow as well though.

Yes, there's an external examiner as well (not sure how many papers they will look at though, I get the impression they're more of a moderator).
In law they get marked by the lecturers of the course and assessed by others who teach the course and external examiners.
And in law, they won't throw your exam results from a rooftop. At least, mine have never been thrown...
Reply 7
For engineering it's all done by fellows, at least for first and second years. For fairness, the same person marks every single paper for each section :eek: (eg, Mr. Bob has to go through ~300x Thermo section A)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending