The Student Room Group

UCAS course codes

I can't get my head round the UCAS course codes.

Having searched my girlfriends course, BA Performing Arts at Cumbria, by it's code "W440", I was somewhat confused to see many other courses with different names that had the same code, including my BA Theatre and Performance at Sheffield.

This would imply that all of the courses with the same code are the same. But from what I gathered at the open day at Sheffield was that the course was focussing on Drama, whereas at the Cumbria open day my girlfriend was told that the course incorporated all aspects of performance, such as dance, technical theatre, musical theatre and drama.

Anyone know how the course code thing works? And what it means?

Thanks all
Original post by Rickardd0
I can't get my head round the UCAS course codes.

Having searched my girlfriends course, BA Performing Arts at Cumbria, by it's code "W440", I was somewhat confused to see many other courses with different names that had the same code, including my BA Theatre and Performance at Sheffield.

This would imply that all of the courses with the same code are the same. But from what I gathered at the open day at Sheffield was that the course was focussing on Drama, whereas at the Cumbria open day my girlfriend was told that the course incorporated all aspects of performance, such as dance, technical theatre, musical theatre and drama.

Anyone know how the course code thing works? And what it means?

Thanks all

The course will in general be the same, but modules offered will differ between universities. Arts subjects tend to differ quite a bit. Basically, both courses cover the same things, even if they have slightly different names.
Reply 2
Course codes don't mean anything. They're not really standardised. Economics is L101 at LSE, but everywhere else it's L100! If 2 courses have the same code they'll be similar but may not be identical, or even mostly the same.
Reply 3
All right, thank you. That's cleared things up for me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest