The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is it too early to be making an "Oxford Applicants for entry in 2013" thread for TSR people (like myself) who did their GCSE's a bit earlier and are bored as they have nothing to worry about and need to focus on something??:smile:

Feel free to say no.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yes... like, a year early I'd say.
Reply 3
just visit the uni first - otherwise you won't know if you want to go!
Reply 4
Original post by issyconnor
Is it too early to be making an "Oxford Applicants for entry in 2013" thread for TSR people (like myself) who did their GCSE's a bit earlier and are bored as they have nothing to worry about and need to focus on something??:smile:

Feel free to say no.

It is slightly early, in my opinion! :eek:

The best thing you can do is decide on the subject you want to apply for. Then you should develop your depth of knowledge by reading around, and beyond, the syllabus.
Reply 5
Oh god.
You're beyond desperate...
This thread is a ****ing pisstake
Reply 8
I miss ISA. I wish that she had made an "Oxford Applicants for entry in 2014" before she was relegated to rambling about feminism in the Relationship forums.
Yeah, it's early, maybe wait till weve started alevels 0.o?
Erm...
Maybe wait till you're actually in college?
Seeing as every single post on here has been telling you to wait, maybe wait? It's fine to know what you want to do, but there's going to be no benefit in a thread at this stage. Come back in a year.
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Seeing as every single post on here has been telling you to wait, maybe wait? It's fine to know what you want to do, but there's going to be no benefit in a thread at this stage. Come back in a year.

Oh, and make sure you start reading around the subject now :tongue:
Reply 13
Yes it is way too early. Stop being such a loser and just enjoy your time off.
What's with all the childish comments? If you don't think so, fine, but there's absolutely no need for mean comments.

I've heard of people who have been preparing or think about their dream university for years. It doesn't make you weird. In actual fact I think it's admirable and sensible to plan ahead. This wasn't supposed to be a very serious or intense thread and I am neither 'desperate' or a 'loser' as people so kindly remarked. I'm simply thinking ahead. It's not as if I have chosen a college or bought an Oxford t-shirt.

I made this thread with the intention of hearing about other people's efforts to make their application and personal statements impressive (i.e. voluntary work, university summer schools). It's not as if there will be a lot of time available come September. I've heard of people with straight A*s being rejected (some without interview). I don't think I'll get an A* in all of my subjects for GCSE, so I'm pretty freaked out that very intelligent people I know with impeccable grades are turned away. It's a pretty fierce world out there.

BTW, I am not ISA or in anyway similar to that user.
(edited 12 years ago)
You did ask what we thought, but yeah people wee unnecessarily rude, I'm in your year an just think you should wait just in case you change your mind about course because of how you fond your as subjects etc, wait till maybe after january exams, just January in general maybe a better time :smile:
What's with all the childish comments? If you don't think so, fine, but there's absolutely no need for mean comments.

I've heard of people who have been preparing or think about their dream university for years. It doesn't make you weird. In actual fact I think it's admirable and sensible to plan ahead. This wasn't supposed to be a very serious or intense thread and I am neither 'desperate' or a 'loser' as people so kindly remarked. I'm simply thinking ahead. It's not as if I have chosen a college or bought an Oxford t-shirt.

I made this thread with the intention of hearing about other people's efforts to make their application and personal statements impressive (i.e. voluntary work, university summer schools). It's not as if there will be a lot of time available come September. I've heard of people with straight A*s being rejected (some without interview). I don't think I'll get an A* in all of my subjects for GCSE, so I'm pretty freaked out that very intelligent people I know with impeccable grades are turned away. It's a pretty fierce world out there.

BTW, I am not ISA or in anyway similar to that user.

Oxford won't care about voluntary work unless it is directly related to your chosen subject.

If you are sure of your subject - read around, live and breathe it - but because you love it, not to get into Oxford. Also, have some time to relax!

It's good to have an ambition in mind, but making a thread about it suggests maybe being too fixated on it? If you get too caught up in the Oxbridge dream you may be devastated in the future.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tooambitious
You did ask what we thought, but yeah people wee unnecessarily rude, I'm in your year an just think you should wait just in case you change your mind about course because of how you fond your as subjects etc, wait till maybe after january exams, just January in general maybe a better time :smile:

Thank you for your civil response :smile:

Since June (after I finished my final exam) I've began studying my AS level subjects (at my school year 11's have to leave in July, like every other year, so we're required to study ahead at this time). It's only been a month, but I have become very fond of my subjects.
Thank you for your civil response :smile:

Since June (after I finished my final exam) I've began studying my AS level subjects (at my school year 11's have to leave in July, like every other year, so we're required to study ahead at this time). It's only been a month, but I have become very fond of my subjects.

Ok fair enough :smile:. What do you want to apply for? I'm thinking e&m I'm doing a levels in double maths, econ and French, you?
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Oxford won't care about voluntary work unless it is directly related to your chosen subject.

If you are sure of your subject - read around, live and breathe it - but because you love it, not to get into Oxford. Also, have some time to relax!

It's good to have an ambition in mind, but making a thread about it suggests maybe being too fixated on it? If you get too caught up in the Oxbridge dream you may be devastated in the future.

I am aware that I could easily get rejected and I am prepared for that.

But if (or when?) I do get rejected at least I will know that I spent years trying and I truly believe the effort will have made me a more stronger and determined person :smile:

People will laugh, and I will get negged, but I don't care. I've worked hard at school to maintain perfect grades and I have hours doing charity work and extra-curricular's just so I can even be considered by Oxford University.