The Student Room Group

Pharmacy Clearing OR Accept alternative offer??

I have a serious dilemma and would really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice as going crazy!!

Basically, i got rejected from medicine so applied via Ucas Extra for Pharmacy at DMU and didnt get an offer as all places were filled; instead i have been offered an alternative course Pharmaceutical and cosmetics science, which according to your performance ( i think if you get 65%) in the first year, you get transferred to MPharm in DMU.

i don't know whether to accept this offer and work my socks off to get transferred OR reject this offer to see if there are any vacancies for MPHarm at DMU on results day via clearing.

Which option has a higher chance of getting a place?? Is it easy to get transferred providing you work extremely hard? My GCSE's are 3 A's,2 C's and rest B's. Predicted are AAA but most probs gonna get ABC/BBC so would DMU be likely to offer me a place on clearing?? Please hellp!! :confused::confused::confused:
Original post by san246
I have a serious dilemma and would really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice as going crazy!!

Basically, i got rejected from medicine so applied via Ucas Extra for Pharmacy at DMU and didnt get an offer as all places were filled; instead i have been offered an alternative course Pharmaceutical and cosmetics science, which according to your performance ( i think if you get 65%) in the first year, you get transferred to MPharm in DMU.

i don't know whether to accept this offer and work my socks off to get transferred OR reject this offer to see if there are any vacancies for MPHarm at DMU on results day via clearing.

Which option has a higher chance of getting a place?? Is it easy to get transferred providing you work extremely hard? My GCSE's are 3 A's,2 C's and rest B's. Predicted are AAA but most probs gonna get ABC/BBC so would DMU be likely to offer me a place on clearing?? Please hellp!! :confused::confused::confused:

this year the competition is really fierce. i believe that the majority of students entered pharmacy with AAA ~ AAB. if you really got ABC/ BBC, it is difficult to secure a place this year( i think Bradford would ask for BBB this year? ).
for the alternative in DMU, i think if you have the determination to get transferred into MPharm, you will do it by all means. But you have to work real hard, the problem is, are you good at exams and do you have the confidence to excel in the syllabus?
otherwise do a foundation course and see if it works out. (you have to pay for higher fee though)
Reply 2
Hey, yeah well in my A levels, i achieved quite high in my written modules, it was just the practical tests which bought me down but i got told the practical tests in Uni will be completely different to the ones i had to do so just going to hopeful i suppose. Decided to accept the alternative offer in the end because i know i am determined and can work my socks off :') Thanks for your help!:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by bb_cindy_tong
this year the competition is really fierce. i believe that the majority of students entered pharmacy with AAA ~ AAB. if you really got ABC/ BBC, it is difficult to secure a place this year( i think Bradford would ask for BBB this year? ).
for the alternative in DMU, i think if you have the determination to get transferred into MPharm, you will do it by all means. But you have to work real hard, the problem is, are you good at exams and do you have the confidence to excel in the syllabus?
otherwise do a foundation course and see if it works out. (you have to pay for higher fee though)

by this year you talking about 2011 or 2012 entry
Reply 4
ive got an offer to do pharmacy at reading and they told me that basically clearing places for pharmacy will be virtually zilch as the demand this year is higher than ever. I also have dmu as my insurance
Original post by kingam
by this year you talking about 2011 or 2012 entry

2011. but every year the entry requirement is rising. isnt it
Reply 6
Original post by san246

Why DMU? Why not another pharmacy school, there are plenty of better ones. For your academic ability, you shouldn't be doing Pharmaceutical and cosmetics science.

I know for a fact that every year there are 4-5 clearing universities for pharmacy..if demand is higher then why not contact the universities that you would consider going and ask them if there will be clearing places available.
i am in this situation simply because i have a feeling i havent done as well enough to meet the entry requirements
i know last year there were 7 unis for clearing but im not sure
bradford,huddersfield,DMU,wolverhampton,kingston,UCLAN and portsmouth
i may be applying on results day but really hope im not
not sure if these unis will be in clearing this year though
my firm choice is bradford and my insurance is DMU
Reply 8
i am applying pharmacy at UEA (firm) and medway (insurance). I have predicted grades of ABB in biology chemistry and maths but i don't reckon i am gonna get that, i reckon i am on for ABC/BBC with a B in chemistry. do you think i would still find a place through clearing with those grades ?
Reply 9
i got offered an alternative at ljmu but i know ill get the required grades for pharmacy so dunno whether to stick with the alternative or go through clearing.. btw is it hard to transfer to pharmacy??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending