The Student Room Group

Best Uni for Journalism BA?

Ive been looking into Unis in the South that do Journalism degrees speicalising in Written branches of Journalism - Newspaper, Online, Magazine etc... Ive narrowed it down to these few but was wondering which one is the best.
I know it's not in the south but Trent University was recently named in a government report to have the best journalism course:

http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2011/news/university-tops-jobs-table-for-journalism-graduates/

Other than that I think Portsmouth is supposed to have a good media department.
Reply 2
Bournemouth is really good :smile:
Reply 3
Leeds main do a Broadcast Journalism course which has like a masters integrated (or the equivalent for journalism anyway - i dont know i wasnt really paying attention). ITs really competitive though!
Reply 4
I've heard good things about Glasgow Caledonian, Westminster and Bournemouth :smile:
Reply 5
It is imperative that the course is accredited. For the area you are interested in it would be an NCTJ accredited course you would be seeking. Without it you will really struggle breaking into the world of journalism! I am applying myself and am very keen on Nottingham Trent :smile:
Reply 6
I'm in my second year at Winchester Uni studying BA (Hons) Journalism.
I really cannot recommend it enough if you are looking to go in to broadcast. We run a bulletin/website/radio that can be found at: www.winol.co.uk
This is run entirely by us and we work on a 24hr newsroom basis - We've stopped saying we're going to lectures/seminars: it's work!

We have training in Media Law, ethics, etc. As well as loads of practical experience.
We also have really good links with people from Sky, BBC, ITV (our course tutor is Angus Scott - look him up). They've all been very quick to sing our praises and we're spreading quickly: we're a relatively new and small course

I love the course and the opportunities I've got from it have been amazing; I've i/v'ed celebrities/tv presenters/editors/journalists.

However, with all of that said, I'm still going to do my NCTJ course after, just so I've got it on my CV!

Hope that helps!
Reply 7
Original post by Stephmulz

Original post by Stephmulz
It is imperative that the course is accredited. For the area you are interested in it would be an NCTJ accredited course you would be seeking. Without it you will really struggle breaking into the world of journalism! I am applying myself and am very keen on Nottingham Trent :smile:

If it is not too far away your best choice is Winchester. It is fairly new course, so not many people have heard of it except in the industry itself. But it has been BJTC course of the year for the last two years running. The first students graduated last year and they all got jobs in journalism and were really happy with it. They voted the course the best in London and the south for student satisfaction, and the best in the whole country for quality of teaching and quality of equipment. Its like a secret course though, with no marketing.
Reply 8
Original post by aishabooch

Bournemouth is really good :smile:

True, but Winchester which is less well known with the public is as good or better, with a better track record of people goining into jobs. The Winchester course is BJTC course of the year and also No1 in London and the south for student satisfaction iin the official government survey.
I've heard good things about Southampton and Bournemouth (also a bit further out- Cardiff, Sheffield and Warwick!)
Reply 10
Hey guys, I've got a new student project which can gain you national exposure and experience in journalism or any other media subjects. If you're interested or want any more information please contact me on [email protected] :smile: x
Reply 11
I'm studying BA Journalism at Brunel at the moment.
It's NCTJ accredited and very focused on the written branches at the moment, although I will be starting a radio module next term too.
There are weekly guest talks as well where people from the industry come in and talk about what they do and how to get in etc...
It's on the tube map as well which is great for getting into central London for opportunities like film screenings and stuff.
Reply 12
Original post by NeonXIII
I'm studying BA Journalism at Brunel at the moment.
It's NCTJ accredited and very focused on the written branches at the moment, although I will be starting a radio module next term too.
There are weekly guest talks as well where people from the industry come in and talk about what they do and how to get in etc...
It's on the tube map as well which is great for getting into central London for opportunities like film screenings and stuff.

I've picked it as my firm so I'm hoping to be studying there in September, I was worried about how much multimedia there was incorporated and accommodation as a 2nd year as one of my reasons for choosing it is the fact that everything's on campus, but when I have to move out, I'm not sure how far or close I'd be but that's with every Uni anyways. I hope I've made the right choice.
Reply 13
I've picked it as my firm so I'm hoping to be studying there in September, I was worried about how much multimedia there was incorporated and accommodation as a 2nd year as one of my reasons for choosing it is the fact that everything's on campus, but when I have to move out, I'm not sure how far or close I'd be but that's with every Uni anyways. I hope I've made the right choice.

I think that there's a TV studio as well, so fingers crossed for a TV module next year haha!

You can apply for halls again in second year if you want, but I'm pretty sure you won't mind moving out once you meet your flat/coursemates and form a group.
There's also a ton of accommodation within 5 mins from the uni - the nearest student houses are across the road from halls! :smile:
Reply 14
Im studying journalism at Nottingham Trent, intensive course indeed.
Reply 15
Original post by mozart1990
Im studying journalism at Nottingham Trent, intensive course indeed.

hi i have a firm on nottingham trent doing broadcast journalism:smile: how intense is your course, i'm sure mine's similiar..
Reply 16
Make sure whatever course you go for has shorthand and is accredited. If it's not, you're not going to get a job until you get all your NCTJ exams for written journalism etc. Papers and broadcasters look for a minimum 100 words per minute shorthand.

I go to Portsmouth uni and it's a good course. The tutors are fantastic and known in the field, one is an ex FT journalist, another is Sharon Wheeler who has written many a book on feature writing, another is one of the younger shorthand teachers who gets you through it. She kicks you up the backside when you need it, and trust me with shorthand you really do.
We're NCTJ accredited and they're looking for PTC accreditation as well.
Depends what area you fancy going in to. BJTC accredited if you want to go for broadcast, if you're not sure and fancy a bit of everything, go for a Multimedia Journalism degree at Winchester, Solent, Bournemouth etc. If you want good old fashioned journalism, go for an NCTJ course.
I study journalism at bournemouth and we do the NCTJ stuff along side online, news, features, radio, tv, law, public affairs and Media/society. I have learnt loads and found the course really interesting. I think that by doing all of the possibilities of journalism (online, radio, print etc) you aren't closing any doors - I thought I wanted to go into print but now I have done a radio topic, I think I love radio even more!

I also looked at Cardiff (found it too theoretical), Kent (too politically/news based for me), Sheffield, UWE, staffordshire and Sussex - just in case you fancied some other ideas :smile:

Goood luck!!
If you're looking for a Journalism Uni in the South, I could reel off a list of endless things that Bournemouth can offer you because it genuinely is brilliant. But I can tell you that the winner of the National Union of Journalists (NUJ) award for the South just graduated from Bournemouth and she already has a job at Caters (the Midlands version of Reuters in case you didnt know!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending